Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 7 2009, 12:45 AM   #166
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Huzzah!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 01:42 AM   #167
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

GodBen,

You just made me love this thread even more, and it's probably the best thread this forum has seen in the 6 years I've been here. Yeah you have a lot of time on your hands, but great read. Looking forward to how it progresses, even though I wonder if you should consider making a trend line for DS9 and TNG. I'm very much intrigued now.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 02:22 AM   #168
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Yeah you have a lot of time on your hands, but great read.
The worldwide economic crisis does have some positives, I suppose.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Looking forward to how it progresses, even though I wonder if you should consider making a trend line for DS9 and TNG. I'm very much intrigued now.
That would be tricky. When I first bought the DS9 DVDs I ranked every episode out of ten because I'm obsessive and wanted to rank each season to find out which was my favourite. I did the same thing when I bought TNG a year later. I wrote all the details down on a piece of paper which I found two months ago when organising stuff I found in a box. Then I threw the paper out.

I can only roughly remember some of the season scores, I have no chance of remembering the individual episode scores. I can rank the episodes again now but it has been some years since I have seen either show so it wont be entirely accurate.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 04:02 AM   #169
kimc
Coffee Mod

GodBen wrote: View Post
According to that other thread I don't qualify either. I'm really upset about the whole thing, my whole thread has been a lie.
The word is out! You're a lover, not a hater. Nyahh nyahh!

Yes, I've been drinking too.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 07:03 AM   #170
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

kimc wrote: View Post
According to that other thread I don't qualify either. I'm really upset about the whole thing, my whole thread has been a lie.
Voyager owns lives. Some of the most active posters on this board (not referring to GodBen here, actually) claim to dislike Voyager, yet they keep coming back here again and again.

Don't hate - appreciate. That's what I'll say.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 05:49 PM   #171
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
I'm suffering an identity crisis here, I'm so confused!

It is a rainy Saturday afternoon, so I took 20 minutes to do up these graphs for the first seasons of TNG and DS9 as a comparison for Voyager.

TNG Season 1:

Season average is 4.48, so either my memory is more forgiving of the crap this season provided or I remembered the number wrong. Encounter at Farpoint is counted as one episode. A below average season; 6 episodes above average, 13 episodes below average and 6 stuck in the middle. Trend line shows an obvious upwards direction.

DS9 Season 1:

Season average is 5.632, so my memory was pretty good for this one. Emissary is counted as one episode. A slightly above average season: 9 episodes above average, 6 episodes below average and 4 in the middle. Trend line goes up.

Bear in mind, I haven't seen most of those TNG episodes in over 3 years and most of those DS9 episodes in just less than 3 years.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 06:00 PM   #172
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Praetor wrote: View Post
I think when you said 'more Kazons' you meant 'Vidiians.'
Oh yes, definitely more Vidiians too! I forgot about those guys. They were probably the most promising aliens Voyager met on the journey, I would have liked to see more of them. But I would also have liked to see more Kazon, only make them less Klingon and less stupid. (Oxymoron?)
Not at all. Some would say less Klingon and less stupid go hand in hand.

I think the real mistake with the Kazon was trying to pretend they were anything but a thinly disguised desire to have a Delta Quadrant equivalent of Klingons. Had the producers operated aware of the fact they were copying themselves, we might have had a more unique and therefore interesting race.

Yay! If you quit, I wouldn't get to be scared by how much we agree anymore. Plus, you're saving me from doing all this, even though I guess I don't qualify as a hater.
According to that thread I don't either. I'm really upset about the whole thing, my whole thread has been a lie.
It's okay, I'll still call you a hater if you want, hater. Why you got to be such a hater all the time, hater?
Well, for me, the whole problem with the Kazon, was their FAR inferior tech, compared to Voyager... I mean, in "Caretaker", the Kazon marvel at VOY's replication technology... so how can these people possibly ever pose a major threat to VOY?
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2009, 08:37 PM   #173
Mareika
Commander

It was very interesting for me to read all these posts- thank you GodBen and all the others.
Maybe, all critism about the Kazon (I liked them), the Borg and all the other things are right. And yes, I also think they ruin the Borg and there are many episodes who didn`t work.
But -I`m a woman and I very like the crew and their interaction. I very like every single character more then the TNG characters. I like the humor in Voyager. I like J/C.
Because of all these things Voyager became my fav Trek series.

But GodBen- your comments about the episodes are great to read. Please continue. Thanks.
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 02:14 AM   #174
Praetor
Vice Admiral

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Well, for me, the whole problem with the Kazon, was their FAR inferior tech, compared to Voyager... I mean, in "Caretaker", the Kazon marvel at VOY's replication technology... so how can these people possibly ever pose a major threat to VOY?
Well, that's true too. It's possible that the fact that their tech was 'inherited' from the Trabe allowed them a certain lack of technical prowess that in turn allowed them to marvel at technology that's really not that far past their own, although I admit even that's a stretch and a total retcon on my part.

Since they didn't have transporters that I can remember, and it seems like transporters and replicators don't go hand in hand, it's possible that's one area the Trabe just never developed, or were unable to develop. Clearly, the Kazon-Nistrim were meant to be a bit more 'civilized' than, say, the Kazon-Ogla, so that might account for the Nistrim being more of a threat than the Ogla. (I'd say that was a revision on the part of the producers, having realized exactly what you pointed out.)

But even so, they're still knockoff Klingons.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 9 2009, 09:39 PM   #175
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I couldn't stand the Kazon. "Weak Klingons" is what comes to mind, in addition to shriveled tree branches / caramelized dreadlocks sticking out of their heads. What a ridiculous looking race!
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 12:53 AM   #176
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Those first Kazon wigs had dried pigs' ears sewn into them. Seriously.

Last edited by Praetor; March 10 2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old March 10 2009, 01:34 AM   #177
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Those first Karzon wigs had dried pigs' ears sewn into them. Seriously.
I see what you mean.

Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 01:48 AM   #178
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Old March 10 2009, 02:13 AM   #179
kimc
Coffee Mod

My dog loves those things. I guess that explains why the Kazons didn't have dogs - they'd be trying to chomp on their heads all the time.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2009, 06:22 AM   #180
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Didn't they ditch the pig ears after Caretaker to make the wigs lighter for the actors to wear?
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote