Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 31 2009, 01:27 AM   #1
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

John "The Anti-Jefferies" Eaves Blog Online

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/

Read it and weep.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: John "The Anti-Jefferies" Eaves Blog Online

The God Thing wrote: View Post

Read it and weep.

TGT
Good artist. Terrible typist.
Old March 31 2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

Some of the concept designs are very interesting. I would have liked to see the original Orion vessel with the "faceted" design.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 03:38 AM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Wow wish some of those were used on the series.
Old March 31 2009, 04:26 AM   #5
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

Read it and weep.

TGT
Good artist. Terrible typist.
Dead on.

I get the fact that he's probably busy with actual paying projects at the moment, but for fuck's sake, run the text through Word first! It's like Baba ghost writes for him.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Death
Admiral

I like his alien stuff better than his federation stuff... But I think on screen Federation ship design crested with the work of Andy Probert.
Old March 31 2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
I get the fact that he's probably busy with actual paying projects at the moment, but for fuck's sake, run the text through Word first! It's like Baba ghost writes for him.
Indeed. I didn't know commas could be used that way.
Old March 31 2009, 09:50 AM   #8
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

I know some fans blamed Eaves for certain things they disliked, and then I remembered Andrew Probert once commenting that Eaves was a superior illustrator whose best work never made it past the suits. At the time the comment was a bit surprising to me, but so far I think the blog reinforces this notion--"they" told him to put the Dominion-style pointy nacelles some places where they didn't belong, "they" removed the bird painting from the Romulan ships in "Minefield," and so on. Not to suggest we might not have guessed that, but it clears the air a bit, with great art to boot.

We really are lucky in our hobby. Many TV shows, even relatively successful ones, are little remembered years and years later. At Drex Files, with Eavesdropping and through the participation of those who helped to create Trek in other fan projects (such as this discussion board), we have professionals who have maintained their interest and are generous enough to further contribute to the hobby with art, new information and interesting perspectives about programs that aired a long time ago or material that never saw the light of day at all. Being a Trek fan is very rewarding sometimes.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

JNG wrote: View Post
We really are lucky in our hobby. Many TV shows, even relatively successful ones, are little remembered years and years later. At Drex Files, with Eavesdropping and through the participation of those who helped to create Trek in other fan projects (such as this discussion board), we have professionals who have maintained their interest and are generous enough to further contribute to the hobby with art, new information and interesting perspectives about programs that aired a long time ago or material that never saw the light of day at all. Being a Trek fan is very rewarding sometimes.
Well said!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if Eaves is anti Jefferies ( he better not be GRR ) but I will never forgive him for aiming impulse engines at nacelles and/or the nacelle pylons..
Old March 31 2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Starlock
Rear Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if Eaves is anti Jefferies ( he better not be GRR ) but I will never forgive him for aiming impulse engines at nacelles and/or the nacelle pylons..
Tcch... Time to "cause" a new thread on this issue.

Why does it seem whenever the Enterprise-E Impulse Engine locations comes up that people forget Good Ol' Robert Goddard and his rocket science?

Who was told "a rocket could never work in a vacuum because there is no air for the engine to 'push' against!"?

But, as we all should know, there is no actual thrust from an rocket engine in a vacuum. Thrust occurs inside the engine as the ignited fuel expands against the nozzle and pushes the rocket forwards in reaction.

Newton!

As the exhaust clears the nozzle and hits hard vacuum it rapidly expands into a vapor. All you really get is more like a puff of smoke than the scorching "blowtorch" flame that would occur in atmosphere.

So, I doubt there would be any damage to the E-E warp engines / nacelles / pylons because of where the impulse engines are. Ain't gonna land the E-E on a planet anytime soon.

And as far as I am concerned having the impulse engines located where they are may be an inadvertantly smarter idea than JE thought of since the ship could recover much of the exhaust for reuse simply by cranking up the Bussard Collectors.
You have not experienced Monty Python until you have read him in the original Klingon...
Starlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 02:51 PM   #12
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Read it and weep.
*sigh*
Whether or not you like his style (and I'm about half like and half "meh" on that), I think it's great that he and Drexler are willing to share their artwork and backstage info with us. A blanket statement like above (and the "Anti-Jefferies" title) will only serve to hurt that relationship.
Old March 31 2009, 03:38 PM   #13
ancient
Vice Admiral

He's got a lot of drawing skill but...less design skill. All his designs tend to look pretty much the same to me. And not very graceful, his ships usually look like a cluster of sharp shapes without much design flow. Like the Ent-E and its 10,000 hull steps.

Though he has made some neat stuff.
Old March 31 2009, 05:07 PM   #14
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

B.J. wrote: View Post
Whether or not you like his style (and I'm about half like and half "meh" on that), I think it's great that he and Drexler are willing to share their artwork and backstage info with us. A blanket statement like above (and the "Anti-Jefferies" title) will only serve to hurt that relationship.
I have never once claimed to speak for anybody but myself, and that some anonymous franchise weenie on TrekBBS.com happens to hold these two gentlemen in the very deepest contempt as speculative aerospace/industrial/architectural designers is an all-encompassing cosmological fact they are both just going to have to learn to deal with no matter how much it may serve to keep them awake nights.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 06:37 PM   #15
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

I have never once claimed to speak for anybody but myself...
Too bad you were speaking for all TrekBBS posters whom you were directing to Eaves' blog in your first post.

Nice try.