Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 7 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Greenwood Talks 'Star Trek XI'

The Star Trek franchise will regain dignity and vitality with the reboot, according to Bruce Greenwood, Star Trek XI's Captain Christopher Pike.

As reported by the Official Star Trek Magazine, Greenwood's involvement in Star Trek XI came courtesy of a phone call from Director J.J. Abrams. "Hey, I think you might be right for this," Abrams told Greenwood. "Would you like to come in and read the script?"

"I said I was in Toronto and couldn't he send me a copy of it?," said Greenwood. "He said, 'Oh no, but when you come back to L.A., we can lock you in a room with a guy standing outside the door and you can read it then.' So that's what I did. I came home a couple of weeks later and sat in a locked room and read it. I worked out a few questions for J.J., then we had a conversation and the next thing I knew, I was being fitted for a space suit!"

Part of playing Pike meant studying Jeffrey Hunter's portrayal of the Captain. "People feel so strongly about every tiny little aspect of it [Hunter's portrayal,] so regardless of what I choose to do, I thought I'd better know what other people’s frame of reference is," explained Greenwood.

Greenwood feels that the rebooted Star Trek will attract audiences. "Remember the difference in the Bond films when Daniel Craig assumed the role, suddenly the franchise was redignified and given a tremendous shot of not just truth and believability, but vitality on a deeper level. Bond seems complete and you can see his broken parts as well. Daniel Craig is a wonderful actor," said Greenwood. "The 'Star Trek' script is written to play to the strengths of an actor who has those qualities, and Chris Pine is that guy. He's a wonderful actor and a great guy to boot. That's one of the things that's really going to help move it into people's consciousness in a way that they can really embrace it."

Once Star Trek XI releases, Greenwood may try a convention. "I've never done that," he said. "I've never done the Comic Con thing. That's something I'm completely unfamiliar with. I'll definitely go and have a look and see what that’s all about."

To subscribe to The Official Star Trek Magazine, visit here.

Old February 7 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Greenwood Talks 'Star Trek XI'

Excellent article.
When the casting was being formed, I was scarcely aware of who Bruce Greenwood was, much less that he'd become Captain Pike. However, seeing him in photos, and in the trailer, he sends chills down my spine. He has a great authoritative voice, and I think regardless of how well the movie does, his role will be thoroughly enjoyable.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old February 7 2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Lashmore
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lashmore

Pike needs to be the hero in this movie...he was trek's first captain afterall.
Old February 7 2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Lashmore wrote: View Post
Who knows, he may be. I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old February 7 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
btflash
Captain

when i first heard that greenwood was being cast as pike i was excited.theres something about him that reminds me of jeffrey hunter....
Old February 7 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Greenwood has a certain dignified presense about him. He looks fantastic in the trailers.
Old February 7 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
ancient
Vice Admiral

Sounds sweet.
Old February 7 2009, 09:52 PM   #8
T'Cal
Commodore

He was the star of a great, if short-lived show titled "Nowhere Man." It was the second show to air on the brand new network UPN back in 1995 with VOY being the first. He played photographer Thomas Vale who took a picture that shouldn't have been taken creating a huge conspiracy to make it and him disappear. The entire first season was aired but then it was cancelled. That was a real shame too because the final episode revealed a huge twist in the plot and set things up for the next season. I'm tempted to buy the DVDs to share with my son who was too young at the time to understand the show.

Bruce Greenwood has done many roles with one of the last big ones in National Treasure II in which he played the President. I have never been disappointed in his performances. I'm really looking forward to his try at Pike. I'm hoping he survives STXI to be in the sequels.
Old February 7 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
T'Cal
Commodore

ancient wrote: View Post
Sounds sweet.
I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.
--Groucho Marx
Old February 7 2009, 10:24 PM   #10
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Greenwood= Teh awesumness.
Old February 7 2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Centurion
Lieutenant

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Excellent article.
When the casting was being formed, I was scarcely aware of who Bruce Greenwood was, much less that he'd become Captain Pike. However, seeing him in photos, and in the trailer, he sends chills down my spine. He has a great authoritative voice, and I think regardless of how well the movie does, his role will be thoroughly enjoyable.

J.
If you want to see Greenwood in action, check out the movie 13 Days. He plays JFK and chronicles the Cuban missile crisis of 1961. We need also to remember that Hunter's Pike was burnt out of being a starship captain and wanted out. Plus, he was closer to Roddenberry's original idea of the captain being based on Horatio Hornblower.
Old February 8 2009, 01:33 AM   #12
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

btflash wrote: View Post
when i first heard that greenwood was being cast as pike i was excited.theres something about him that reminds me of jeffrey hunter....
I don't quite get THAT, but I agree, he'll be good in Star Trek.
Old February 8 2009, 01:35 AM   #13
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

RandyS wrote: View Post
btflash wrote: View Post
I don't quite get THAT, but I agree, he'll be good in Star Trek.
Yeah he doesn't remind me much of Hunter. I just think he'll be an incredible
Pike though, better than Hunter even.
Old February 8 2009, 04:30 AM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

Centurion wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Excellent article.

J.
If you want to see Greenwood in action, check out the movie 13 Days. He plays JFK and chronicles the Cuban missile crisis of 1961. We need also to remember that Hunter's Pike was burnt out of being a starship captain and wanted out. Plus, he was closer to Roddenberry's original idea of the captain being based on Horatio Hornblower.

13 Days was an awesome film, probably Greenwood's best work, IMO. He captured the essence of JFK quite nicely. I'm psyched on the notion that he's playing Pike.
Old February 9 2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Lashmore wrote: View Post
Yep, the canonical first captain of the Enterprise.