Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 7 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Perry On Abrams And 'Star Trek XI'

A phone call from a fan of his work lead to the role of the Commander of Starfleet for Tyler Perry.

As reported by Blackvoices.com, J.J. Abrams, a fan of Perry, called him and asked if was interested in a role in Star Trek XI. "I was shocked," said Perry. "The timing was perfect and it was only a week. It's a really small role. It really helped me to see what it's like to be on someone else's set."

Although he runs Starfleet, Perry's role as the Commander is small. "I only had two scenes with the two leads," he said. And working on Star Trek XI has made Perry more interested in the franchise. "I wasn't a Trekkie," he said, "but after seeing the trailer, I may become one."

When asked if Perry was brought on to "bring in a large African-American base to the film," Perry didn't think that was the case. "I don't know if that is what [Abrams] was thinking," said Perry. "Looking at him and talking to him, he is the Jewish version of me. He works on television and works on films. He does not stop. He writes as well. I was watching him work and rework the scene, and there's something about my story that is so similar to him in what I'm doing. I think it intrigued him as much as it intrigued me. I don't think that demographics was the case of me being in the film; because they would have given me a supportive role rather than just a cameo. I think it was about him feeling me out and me about him, and I think it worked out okay."

Star Trek XI was Perry's first movie outside of his own films. "It didn't make sense to do a movie that I can do myself. I don't want you to call me and ask me to do a film about a black family. I can do that myself. I don't want to be in your movie doing that. Now, if you want me to do 'Mission: Impossible', or 'Star Trek' or 'Wolverine', which I was called for but I couldn't do because I was doing 'The Family That Preys', but those sort of films, yes, I can do that."

To read more about Perry and his latest work, head to the article located here.

Old February 8 2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Perry On Abrams And 'Star Trek XI'

I trust Abrams and I have a lot of faith in this project, but I find Perry to be too self-centered. Sure, it's a cameo and Perry's appearance definitely won't torpedo the film, I just wish he wasn't approached. Even from the blurb we get from the news item, the sheer number of first person pronouns he uses is consistent with how he tries to make his actual name into a brand name.

That's right, I'm expecting to see on the building in huge neon letters: Tyler Perry's Starfleet Academy.
Old February 8 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

...is he supposed to refer to himself in the third person?
Old February 8 2009, 11:29 PM   #4
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Who the hell is Tyler Perry and why does he think he's so f'ing important?
Old February 9 2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
...is he supposed to refer to himself in the third person?
I suppose I should've been more specific by saying "First person singular possessive pronouns" as opposed to "plural possessive" pronouns.

Since he brings up comparisons with Abrams, compare interviews with other directors, for example. Abrams (and most others) will refer to the "we" in the group effort. Tyler Perry, on the other hand, tends to use I, me, my, etc. etc.

Not particularly funny, but it's pretty apt commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJoleJnSHeg
Old February 9 2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Aragorn
Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I trust Abrams and I have a lot of faith in this project, but I find Perry to be too self-centered. Sure, it's a cameo and Perry's appearance definitely won't torpedo the film, I just wish he wasn't approached. Even from the blurb we get from the news item, the sheer number of first person pronouns he uses is consistent with how he tries to make his actual name into a brand name.

That's right, I'm expecting to see on the building in huge neon letters: Tyler Perry's Starfleet Academy.
Maybe he was brought in to fill the George Takei "overinflated sense of importance to the project" role.
Old February 9 2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Basil
Fleet Captain

Tyler Perry is an enormously successful writer/director/actor, but a lot of people haven't heard of him because we're still in the ridiculous mindset in provincial America that if a film or TV project has a mostly "minority" cast, it must only be for minorities. He may seem full of himself -- and he probably is, yet somewhat deservedly so because he's a self-made success -- but his projects rake in the bucks and are highly influential. Given how projects for and by minorities are often relegated to a "lesser than" status in Hollywood, he's overcome significant barriers to get to where he is today.