TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 231 79.66%
Above Average 49 16.90%
Average 7 2.41%
Below Average 1 0.34%
Poor 2 0.69%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10 2009, 10:02 PM   #301
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
What about the Bolshevik Revolution and the Reign of Terror following the French Revolution? What about Castro's Cuban Revolution? Violent, bloody, and ultimately leftist movements.
I'm sure that he'll explain why they weren't "leftist."
That would be an effective counter-argument. But once you start hagling over definitions of leftist ideology, you start to have a harder time defining Zarek in those terms. At least if you take a look at his development over four seasons, as well as his implied background before the series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 10 2009, 11:48 PM   #302
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
They could have drug this out...
Just say NO to drugs. The word you want is dragged.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 10 2009, 11:55 PM   #303
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Well, having just watched this episode not an hour and half ago, I can state that I was right to vote excellent on this. Truly a great episode in the saga.

The Good: Felix Gaeta and Tom Zarek, one believed what he was doing was right the other wanted to take the Presidency. Both where bitter broken men driven to the take extreme action by the Failure of the Adama/Roslin administration. They did terrible things, which in the end doomed them both but the way the actors portrayed them was poetry in motion.

Baltar giving a frak about the rest of Humanity and his reconciliation with Gaeta. (And it was a nice touch to have him there at the end)

Adama was great and was as ever the Old Man.

The Bad: Roslin, Gods that screeching little speech of hers was awful! The only good thing she did was to stop the Clyons from fleeing the Fleet.

The Trial was a utter joke. A one Judge kangaroo court, Ye Gods.

Cheesy Moment: Where the Frak where all those people hiding the whole time?

Looking Forward to Next week!

Last edited by Thor Damar; February 11 2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I've started so I'll Finish. And Spelling.
Old February 11 2009, 12:58 AM   #304
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
They could have drug this out...
Just say NO to drugs. The word you want is dragged.
I use the work snuck too... it's a Southern thing.
Old February 11 2009, 01:03 AM   #305
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I'm not clear on whether stj has even seen these two episodes, and if not, why he feels justified in commenting on them in such specifics.
Old February 11 2009, 03:13 AM   #306
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Lindley wrote: View Post
I'm not clear on whether stj has even seen these two episodes,
stj definitely didn't see last weeks episode, as he made a point out of saying in his post at the time. (For the record, he spent the evening watching Numb3ers instead.) That didn't stop him from making a detailed analysis of the episode and sweeping generalizations about the fans who watched it, though.

and if not, why he feels justified in commenting on them in such specifics.
I can hazard a guess as to the "why," but that would involve calling him something we're not supposed to. Let's just say it rhymes with "scroll" (as in "sacred scrolls of Pythia") and leave it at that.
Old February 11 2009, 04:55 AM   #307
stj
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
I'm not clear on whether stj has even seen these two episodes, and if not, why he feels justified in commenting on them in such specifics.
^^^When dealing with that kind of person, you have to quote the sources. My apologies for the tedium.

My first post---
The consensus of viewers is that Zarek fulfills the psychological imperatives established in Bastille Day?
---which is a simple question about the forum's views on one character, not the entire episode.

My second post---
There's not much dispute about Zarek. On the one hand, you are supposed to understand, feel sympathetic to the desire of the mutineers to slay the evil Cylons, while simultaneously understanding the objective necessity for the alliance (and ignoring the fact that early on it was established that Cylons could have sleeper personalities.) Zarek, as the proponent of proper genocidal rage, is sympathetic as well. On the other hand, the perverted rage analyzed by Lee Adama in Bastille Day has merely been working itself out. Revolution is wicked and revolutionaries are evil and all good souls delight in ruthless extermination of the vermin.

Pardon me, but the range of views expressed is pretty narrow.

By the way---The notion that a revolutionary would naturally start by massacring the executive body is ludicrous. Like the terror bombing peace movement earlier in the series, this kind of ignorant twaddle is the nonsense you'd expect from someone like Ann Coulter.
---in the first paragraph summarizes the views expressed in the thread, which cannot be reprehensible. The last paragraph was a comparison of a story development with historical reality. Italics added because that was what most of the to and fro was about.

In other words, the implication that I was going on about the episode is factually false. The implication that there was any question about the "justification" is also false. Given how factually challenged the poster is, I wonder how he feels justified in posting.

If reminding people how stupid the Zarek character was in Bastille Day makes his development seem equally stupid, or a simple reality check makes the massacre seem like silly melodrama, that's tough. The BSG producers should have written better.

As to the pathetic efforts to rebut the obvious, the least important are the posts about the old BSG fans, etc. I've never seen that guy waste an orginal thought on the Internet yet, and he's running true to form. On a personal note, grownups should display some sort of self respect.

As to the defenses of Eick and Moore, I haven't said anything here about them. Unless some of you are on the payroll I don't know why you need to bring them up. But Communist Party members making movies didn't make them Communist movies. By the same logic, "liberal" producers making a TV series doesn't make it "liberal." Unfortunately I have to put liberal in scare quotes because some people try to redefine liberal as leftist. Conservatives would have it so.

In Bastille Day, the responses of the characters, especially the emphasis on Dualla's, clearly indicated that Zarek was not a McVeigh analog. Misreading that way is so off the wall as to raise suspicion about its sincerity.

Last, the deceptive confusion between coup, revolution and civil war, aided by selectively ignoring the point (despite being repeated!) about the absurdity of starting with such a massacre means comments about the Bolshevik Revolution or the Cuban Revolution or the French Revolution are red herrings. I will note that trying to redbait the French Revolution is pretty far right. I suggest David Andress The Terror as a rewarding study, however.
Old February 11 2009, 05:16 AM   #308
Harvey
Admiral

Why don't you define "liberal" as leftist? It's true that the American "Left" is much more centrist than political parties of the Left in other countries, but if "liberal" is not analogous to the Left and "conservative" is not analogous to the Right, what's your frame of reference?

Last, the deceptive confusion between coup, revolution and civil war, aided by selectively ignoring the point (despite being repeated!) about the absurdity of starting with such a massacre means comments about the Bolshevik Revolution or the Cuban Revolution or the French Revolution are red herrings. I will note that trying to redbait the French Revolution is pretty far right. I suggest David Andress The Terror as a rewarding study, however.
I'm no expert on the French Revolution. Would love to read that book if I have the chance. I do draw exception to the charge of "red baiting," however. In that it was a revolution that violently overthrew the conservative monarchy in favor of liberal democracy.

Comments about starting with such a massacre are irrelevant, since the coup/revolution (Gaeta and Zarek themselves disagree on what they have embarked upon) doesn't start with a massacre of any kind. There's a few isolated incidents of violence in the beginning, but no massacre. That happens later (eleven civilians are killed).

Speaking of the so-called "deceptive" confusion between civil war, revolution, and coup d'etat, what definitions are you using? Tell me why my post is stupid, not that it is stupid.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 11 2009, 10:33 AM   #309
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Romo Lamkin for President
Old February 11 2009, 01:20 PM   #310
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

George_42 wrote: View Post

Seconded

Old February 11 2009, 02:15 PM   #311
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post

Seconded
Only if he doesn't kill us with his pen.
Old February 11 2009, 03:05 PM   #312
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Not after the cat thing.
Old February 11 2009, 03:21 PM   #313
Kchunda
Commander

^ I'm glad this whole thing took place in just one day. Nobody said that they would feed his poor dog. . .

P.S. FINALLY the podcast is out!
Old February 11 2009, 03:37 PM   #314
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post

Seconded
Jake for Vice President
Old February 11 2009, 05:32 PM   #315
Thor Damar