Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 231 79.66%
Above Average 49 16.90%
Average 7 2.41%
Below Average 1 0.34%
Poor 2 0.69%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7 2009, 04:47 PM   #151
spinnerlys
Commander

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x14: "Blood on the Scales"

For anyone who is interested in an interview with Michael Angeli, the writer of this episode, you can go here: Talking about 'Battlestar Galactica's' 'Blood on the Scales' with writer Michael Angeli
Old February 7 2009, 05:04 PM   #152
Vampire Kirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A perfect example as to why this show will be looked upon as one of the all time greats in the years to come.
Old February 7 2009, 05:13 PM   #153
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Hatch seemed uneven on this epsode
I thought he was outstanding in this episode. A great way for him to go out.
Old February 7 2009, 05:40 PM   #154
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I've been surprised at how good Hatch is, actually.
Old February 7 2009, 06:22 PM   #155
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Hatch seemed uneven on this epsode
I thought he was outstanding in this episode. A great way for him to go out.
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I've been surprised at how good Hatch is, actually.
I agree. I am tempted to write a letter to him for his performance over all as Zarek and I never write letters. To anybody.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
Old February 7 2009, 06:25 PM   #156
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Another thing too Hatch's character was pretty consistent when we first saw him he was in jail cause he was a terrorist. And no matter how you dressed him up that's how he ended up.

The last 2 episodes were the best TV I can remember watching...very compelling. Even though I have some sympathy for the mutineers that changed when the civilian government was executed. Mr Gaeta called it correctly. At least they died like men and didn't whimper.

Good thing the the former chief found that stress fracture too...and the FTL device fit in nicely too. that was very cool to see.

Once again this would have never happened if the President showed leadership after the Earth letdown.And when I say leadership even if she announced her immediate retirement that would have started the legal process and the informed populace would have found relief in the ballot box...

...this mutiny was all the fault of the President and Adama, they know it, that is why the 2 lives of the key mutineers are enough retribution.

Time now to build some bridges.
Old February 7 2009, 06:28 PM   #157
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Brent wrote: View Post
Oh Yeah, Romo killing that dude with a pen frakkin rocked!

How many shows have you seen where someone gets killed witha pen, hehe
Last Crusade and the River Tam Sessions, obviously. Any others?
Old February 7 2009, 06:37 PM   #158
DWF
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post

The Joker.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old February 7 2009, 06:55 PM   #159
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post

The 'Wise Guy' series staring Ken Wahl in the 80's had a killing with a pen. Pretty sure it was in the Mel and Susan Profit arc.
Old February 7 2009, 06:58 PM   #160
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Another Excellent from me. My ONE small complaint is the way they showed Adama re-gaining command; and that once he was vack on the bridge, the 'mutiny' was over. I did like the scene on the hanger deck with the pilot ('Nacho' I think); who, when essentially given a chance to 'rejoin' Adama's side said, "Sorry Admiral, I hate the Cylons too much and can't stand with any Commander who would work with them...: and Adama showed he could accept and fully understand that positin by not shooting him, and simply having him tied up. BUT, that's also why I feel the mutiny was quelled too quickly, as I sure there was a good portion of the Galactica crew who still felt like 'Nacho'.

I'm also glad RDM didn't wimp out and just have Zarek thrown back in the brig. If he HADN'T been shot at the end, this episode would have gotten a Poor.
Old February 7 2009, 07:05 PM   #161
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Guy's callsign was Narcho. Although, he was kinda cheesy!
Old February 7 2009, 08:09 PM   #162
Michael Chris
Admiral

I like Sebastian Spence, I very much enjoyed First Wave.
Old February 7 2009, 08:15 PM   #163
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, long time lurker who usually posts on the ST Books section, but this episode has me posting here...

I enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed Kelly's change as the episode progressed and he saw what was happening. I wonder if he is going to be being viewed as rehabilitated now. He seems to be somewhat past his point of not being able to stop trying to kill the Cylons and their associates it seems. I really enjoyed his scene with the Chief in the locker. I kept laughing as the Chief kept wedging his way through the bowels of the ship.

I loved Adama marching through the ship with his ever growing mob. I think Gaeta having his wakeup call right before hand was a proper. What I thought was going to happen, with his wakeup call, was that right before Adama walked in, Gaeta was just going to call out, "Admiral Adama, the ship is yours". I know it was only in my mind, but I think that would have been a perfect capstone.

I wonder what will happen with the execution of the Quorum. They obviously will need to have a new government setup, but I wonder if this is a chance to change the format. A quorum with a representative of a dead planet seems outdated. It seems more logical to have a representative for a group of ships instead. I wonder after this if the Cylons will have their seat.

I was not sure if that scene with Baltar/Gaeta near the end was real or in Gaeta's head. I assume it was because it seemed natural capstone and as close as possible return to the original Felix.

I assumed that when the Chief looked up, he saw rips in the hull looking out into space and that the air was leaking out.. Unlike the Pegasus engineer, the Chief isn't locked in there and can get out.

Can't wait till next week.
Old February 7 2009, 09:05 PM   #164
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

"The Oath" and "Blood on the Scales" were perhaps the best episodes in this season so far.

Most suprising/shocking scene: Tom Zarek having "his" Marines shoot the Quorum when he starts to lose their support. Didn't anticipate that he would cross that line. But once in charge he quickly turned into the reincarnation of Joseph Stalin, including purges, show trials and summary executions.

Most memorable quote (by Narcho): "Sorry, Sir... I have always respected you. But I hate the Cylons and I can't take orders from the leader who won't fight them."

Most underused character: Athena. She was merely an extra-like redshirt in this episde. Carrying a gun in the background as one of several members of Adama's "counter-revolution".

It was also a nice twist that Capt. Kelly discovered his conscience and switched sides again. Didn't see this coming either. I had expected that someone like Racetrack, Narcho or maybe even Gaeta would "betray the revolution" and turn on Zarek in the end. But not Kelly. And for those who didn't remember Kelly anymore... he appeared in the following episodes:

- Miniseries
- Scattered (2x01)
- Valley of Darkness (2x02)
- Final Cut (2x08)
- Exodus, Part 1 (3x03)
- Exodus, Part 2 (3x04)
- The Son Also Rises (3x18)
- The Oath (4x13)
- Blood on the Scales (4x14)

He served as Tigh's second-in-command while Adama was incapicated in "Scattered" and "Valley of Darkness". He also manned Gaeta's post in "Exodus" when Gaeta was still Baltar's aide on New Caprica. And in all other episodes he was the LSO (Landing Signal Officer) of Galactica. Since "The Son Also Rises" he was supposedly in the brig (I guess Galactica has more than one brig then), but I would assume that he will now resume his duties as LSO soon?

And for all what he has done, I felt pity for Gaeta in the end. Zarek got what he deserved, but Gaeta was still some poor fellow who suffered from a number of bad experiences and traumata. He was simply someone who tried to make it right. Good job by Alessandro Juliani though.

I also agree that Adama and Roslin won't have to face much resistance with their plans now. I guess there will be a new Quorum summoned soon (the third since the series started actually, the first one was put together after the fall of the colonies, the second one after the evacuation of New Caprica). This time probably with a 13th seat for the Cylons (who will that be? Tyrol?). And Lee will probably become the next VP.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; February 7 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old February 7 2009, 09:28 PM   #165
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

I was curious and did a quick calculation based on figures from the BattlestarWiki:

total Fleet population at the Fall of the Colonies (33/Season 1): 50,298
total Fleet population at the beginning of Blood on the Scales (survivor count in credits): 39,603

total losses in the Fleet since Season 1: 10,695

the numbers will go down next week by at least 13 (Zarek, Gaeta and the 11 Quorum members; excluding Lee)

not sure how many others were killed in the mutiny; next week should give a revised count.

thought others might be interested.

Question: has a total population count for the Colonies before the Cylon attack in the miniseries been established?