RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 432
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 28 2009, 04:36 AM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

speculation: how will it end? spoilers thru 4x12

Now that we're in the home stretch time for unspoilered bets to be placed on the ending. Go ahead and base your spoilers on anything thru 4x12 but not beyond that.

My quatloos are on...

The fleet degenerates into fratricidal anarchy. The few survivors are left to roam the cosmos until their supplies run out. Bill Adama is last seen huddling in his quarters as the life support systems fail. He mouths the words, "There are no gods. There is no God." And dies.

Yay, a feel-good ending!
Old January 28 2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Gregsmack
Captain

Re: speculation: how will it end? spoilers thru 4x12

Personally I'm hoping for something horrific and disturbing a la The Shield or even worse.
Old January 28 2009, 04:40 AM   #3
ialfan
Fleet Captain

My best guess if they find another planet a "New Earth" as it were and decide to settle there (the Cylon Rebels and Humans). Then Cavil's forces show up and in a massive battle pretty much everyone dies except a few humans and cylons who start a new civilization.
Old January 28 2009, 04:44 AM   #4
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

How will it end?

In fire.
Old January 28 2009, 04:52 AM   #5
cynical dreamer

All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

Old January 28 2009, 05:47 AM   #6
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Personally I'm hoping for something horrific and disturbing a la The Shield or even worse.
Me, too, actually. Any other way would seem unrealistic.

Also, Ben Sisko3, I also thought in fire. Anytime I hear "how will it end?" my mind goes to that quote. Sad, I know.
Old January 28 2009, 06:01 AM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

For some reason I see the following happening:

The fleet colonizes a new planet and names it Earth in the penultimate episode. The final episode of the series would see the future (some five thousand years later) where they have Colonized Twelve planets again. The final episode will end with the Cylon's attacking humanity. To make things really interesting in the final episode I would rehash aspects of the miniseries but cast the actors in different roles. Perhaps Mary McDonnell as Commander of the final battlestar and EJO as the President.
Old January 28 2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I can see them settling on some new "Earth" as well, but I also think these people might break this "it happened before and it'll happen again" cycle.
Old January 28 2009, 06:37 AM   #9
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

- A CGI Lorne Greene will be revealed to be "god". Seeing that god was false, Adama will say "Maybe god's not out there, but in here...the human heart" and everyone around him will say "what frakkin' bullshit!"

- DS9's "The Search", it was all a simulation by the Cylons to determine the long range effects of a genocidal war against humanity. The only real people on the show are Bill Adama, Roslyn, Lee, Helo, Baltar and Starbuck.

- Someone will ask "what heading, commander?" and Adama will say "That away, third star to the right!"

- It will turn out that the humans are cylons, but the cylons are all humans. The metal cylons are operated by small sentient mice who built Earth as a supercomputer to determine the meaning of life. Shows ends with Baltar's brain being removed by them.

- As the Rag Tag Fleet approaches a habitable world, cut to an old-school base star with Dick Durock as Imperious Leader saying with the voice of Patrick McNee..."the final annihilation of the life form known as man. Let the attack begin"

- Bob Newhart will wake up in bed beside Kate Vernon. "It was all a nightmare"...then we see her spine glow red.
Old January 28 2009, 06:58 AM   #10
chrisspringob
Commodore

Well, there are a million different permutations to how things could go. But the biggest question is this: How will the Cylon threat be resolved? That is, right now, the Cavil-led Cylons have the run of the galaxy, and they're extremely hostile to the Colonials. So how is that going to be resolved? There are only a few possible outcomes, as far as I can figure:

1) The Cylons win, and the Colonials are all killed / subjugated / something like that.

2) The Cylons remain in conflict with the Colonials, but the Colonials manage to find a way to escape.....to jump far enough away from known space that the Cylons are never going to find them, and the Cylons might as well just give up the hunt.

3) The Cylons and Colonials make peace and the conflict is over. This could happen any number of ways, including an internal rebellion among the Cylon ranks against hardliners like Cavil, the Final Five convincing the other Cylons that humans aren't a threat, Hera showing the hardliners that the Cylons have to interbreed with humans or they'll die out, etc.

4) The Colonials (possibly with the help of the rebel Cylons) actually "defeat" the Cavil-led Cylons somehow. Maybe with some kind of plague or something, as I don't see how they could do it by conventional military means.....though it's possible that whoever once lived on Earth has some kind of superweapon stashed somewhere that the Colonials will stumble upon.

5) Nothing changes. The show ends with the Colonials still on the run from the Cylons, and there's no indication as to whether the status quo will ever change.

One of the above has to happen, I think. Unless there's some other possibility that I'm not thinking of. Which of those options do you think is most likely? I'm thinking that we're headed towards #3, although I think that might actually be one of the less interesting possibilities.

And I still think there's a chance that there's a large population of humans somewhere out there, that the Colonials will stumble upon. Not necessarily a second Earth, but some kind of lost tribe, the group that the Colonials *thought* went to Earth centuries ago. But how that faction would play into the resolution of the conflict with the Cylons, I don't know.
Old January 28 2009, 10:29 AM   #11
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I don't have a clue. It's one of the things I love about the show .

I do think, however, that it's not going to be a happy ending. Though I do imagine there might be a spark of hope (whatever that exactly means).

At some point I thought it would be interesting if it were Galactica who nuked Earth, btw. Though that would probably involve some form of time travel, I assume.
Old January 28 2009, 03:47 PM   #12
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

I don't know what the RTF will look like after the Zarek/Gaeta rebellion, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Galactica and the Rebel Basestar are all that's left, and Zarek's people take the rest of the fleet in a different direction and end up getting killed by Cavil's forces. Zarek and Gaeta are almost certainly dead meat.

At some point, the colonials and the Cylons will settle on a planet that turns out to be our Earth. According to something I read at io9 a few weeks ago, the final shot of the show is
Old January 28 2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Raz
Rear Admiral

I feel it's necessary to assert yet again that I made everything in the spoiler tags up.

Last edited by Raz; January 28 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag even though it's blind speculation
Old January 28 2009, 08:42 PM   #14
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

GeorgeKirk - the OP said no spoilers past 'Disquiet'
Old January 28 2009, 09:36 PM   #15
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post
How will it end?

In fire.
Or in ice.

To say that for destruction