Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 7 2009, 06:43 AM   #1
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Is it fair?

That these actors got to be a part of a franchise with their first movie while all the others had to go through either a 3 or 7 year run on TV before they hit the silver screen?

Discuss !
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: Is it fair?

They got the gig. Seems fair enough to me.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Lashmore
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lashmore

is it fair to inflict several years of poor pay and bad hair onto the actors just so they can get a series of movies?

Look at TNG....most of their movies barely earned their money back. I think Nemesis actually failed to earn its money back.

First Contact was the only one that really earned anything.

The TOS movies did better.
Old February 7 2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Since when is life ever fair?
Old February 7 2009, 08:08 AM   #5
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
That these actors got to be a part of a franchise with their first movie while all the others had to go through either a 3 or 7 year run on TV before they hit the silver screen?

Discuss !
Nah, I don't really see it as an issue at all. You have to start somewhere, whether it be a movie screen or a TV screen. Both require hard work, dedication and real talent if you want to be successful.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

number6 wrote: View Post
They got the gig. Seems fair enough to me.
Oddly enough, I have to agree. With acting jobs, fair's got less than nothing to do with anything.

Actually, that's true of of life in general.
Old February 7 2009, 08:29 AM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Spilio wrote: View Post
That's one good point.

For another...

...there is no 3- or 7-year TV run in the offing. CBS-Paramount Television is not interested in making or airing a new Star Trek series at this time. Paramount Pictures -- for all practical purposes a separate entity -- is interested in making and putting on the big screens a movie (and is doing so now) so that's what we're getting.

Discuss !
I'm really not sure what there is to discuss. At this point, the very same question has been asked and answered again and again, and the answer continues to be exactly the same: we're not going to get a series (unless the animated one somehow comes back from its current limbo); we are getting a movie. Debating whether or not that's fair is kind of an empty exercise.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 09:00 AM   #8
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

That these actors got to be a part of a franchise with their first movie
You are aware that just about all of these actors already have at least a few films under their belts? I don't think this is anyone's "first movie".

Or are you trying to say that you think its unfair that their first Star Trek movie is a... um... well... a Star Trek movie?!? 'Cause it would be damn difficult for it to be anything else.
Old February 7 2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Kaziarl
Commodore

chardman wrote: View Post
You are aware that just about all of these actors already have at least a few films under their belts? I don't think this is anyone's "first movie".

Or are you trying to say that you think its unfair that their first Star Trek movie is a... um... well... a Star Trek movie?!? 'Cause it would be damn difficult for it to be anything else.
I think what is trying to say is that instead of having a series they get to start in the star trek universe on the silver screen. Where as Picard and friends, and Kirk and friends had to deal with being on TV before getting to the silver screen. I think the problem with the argument is that TV actors seem less willing these days to go from TV to SS, and visa versa for movie actors.
Old February 7 2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
I think the problem with the argument is that TV actors seem less willing these days to go from TV to SS, and visa versa for movie actors.
Huh? I don't know a TV actor who won't take a movie gig if he can get it, and the idea of "stepping down" to television, while still there for the biggest movie stars, is much less than it used to be. Most actors are just looking for a good role, no matter where it is.

Spilio wrote: View Post
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
Old February 7 2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Doing TV isn't really a step down anymore. Granted, you know Kiefer Sutherland (24), Harvey Keitel (Life on Mars), Jeff Goldblum (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) and a few others would never have been on TV if their movie careers hadn't faded. Of course you'd rather spend 18 hours a day for three straight months to make one movie for a $10 million paycheck and take the next nine months off, but that's not to say TV can't be satisfying for an actor.

If you're on a great show, you'll have several episodes a year that are as well-written as a top notch movie. And if you're on a juggernaut, you can make seven figures per episode. When Noah Wylie was getting $1 million per episode on ER, that's $22 million over 8-9 months he wouldn't have gotten from movies.

The biggest drawback is the audience members who have tunnel vision and are incapable of seeing the actors as anything other than their TV role.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 01:12 PM   #12
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Weird and pointless thread in my opinion... M'Sharak's response pretty much sums it up.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Discuss !
So, are you suggesting that Paramount/CBS should first create a TV series starring Pine, Quinto, Urban, et al just to be fair to Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart and the others?

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 04:55 PM   #14
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
chardman wrote: View Post

I think what is trying to say is that instead of having a series they get to start in the star trek universe on the silver screen. Where as Picard and friends, and Kirk and friends had to deal with being on TV before getting to the silver screen. I think the problem with the argument is that TV actors seem less willing these days to go from TV to SS, and visa versa for movie actors.
Yes, that is it, exactly. I'm not saying they are bad actors/actresses or anything of that nature, and in fact I don't really care if they started Star Trek in the SS while the others started with a series (and I do realize too that there is no TV offering at this point) it was a question I had. I asked because the original actors had to make their way through a series, then animated series before entering the silver screen. That's all.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
ITL
Vice Admiral

So?
ITL is online now   Reply With Quote