IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 2 2009, 07:31 AM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

it blew...my mind!

Was there ever an FX show on any of the Trek(S) that blew your mind? When you saw it, you asked yourself "HOW DID THEY DO THAT?"

Here is mine. When Thomas Riker is brought aboard. And there is this scene where Wil Riker walks around Thomas Riker, a full 360 degree circle. That blew me away. No cut aways, no split screen, he walks around Thomas...

It still blows me away. Before you list yours, can someone tell me how exactly they did that scene with the two Rikers?

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 08:47 AM   #2
teacock
Admiral

Re: it blew...my mind!

So we can't list ours until someone tells you how they did yours? LOL

I was blown away by the reptilian Xindi. They look amazing.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 08:54 AM   #3
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

The head-splosion at the end of Conspiracy definitely blew someone's mind..
Old February 2 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
jongredic
Fleet Captain

^ LOL

Just in case anyone doesn't want the magic ruining for them... this is how I'd go about it:

As for effects that blew my mind - any of the DS9 Dominion War battles. For a show on a budget to pull off such convincing graphics that still hold their own a decade later is a testament to the amount of work that went into them.
Old February 2 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

One that blew my mind and I didn't even know it was the Genesis tape from TWOK. I knew if looked fantastic...but at that time I didn't know that computer generated images even existed. I don't remember asking myself "How'd they do that!??!" but that's my answer.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 03:25 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
One that blew my mind and I didn't even know it was the Genesis tape from TWOK. I knew if looked fantastic...but at that time I didn't know that computer generated images even existed. I don't remember asking myself "How'd they do that!??!" but that's my answer.
I'm with you..when that movie came out I thought, at the time, those effects were very cool. I knew they were CGI, but I didn't know that it had progressed that far...

Rob
Old February 2 2009, 05:01 PM   #7
2 of 10
Captain

First time I saw the Jem-Hadar kind of 85% vasish, you could still kind of seem them, at the same time they did seem to vanish or be like a shadow in a dark room...
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 05:21 PM   #8
KirksFlyingFist
Lieutenant

I'm a visual effects artist by trade, so I already go in knowing how it's all done. The Trek effects have always been okay I suppose, nothing ever remarkable. The movies had some good stuff, and TNG's effects were pretty good for its time.

Enterprise is a disgrace however. It's awful use of CG is enough to make anyone gag.

Did you know Apollo 11 may have encountered a UFO on its mission to the moon? An original web-series that looks at conspiracies, urban legends, and the paranormal!
KirksFlyingFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 05:22 PM   #9
The Creeper
Commodore

jongredic wrote: View Post
^ LOL

Just in case anyone doesn't want the magic ruining for them... this is how I'd go about it:

As for effects that blew my mind - any of the DS9 Dominion War battles. For a show on a budget to pull off such convincing graphics that still hold their own a decade later is a testament to the amount of work that went into them.
EM. This for me too. It actually started with T.W.o.t.W, when I saw that Klingon ship get hit and go tumbling end over end, I knew I was witnessing a new age of Trek SFX beginning.
Old February 2 2009, 05:24 PM   #10
trevanian
Rear Admiral

TMP's drydock departure that seems to be taken from just next to the port nacelle, inboard.

It is one of the only times I had seen a periscope lens shot that didn't betray the actual size of the filmed miniature (look at similar stuff from the same year/same month film BLACK HOLE and flinch), and it more than made up for the 'looking down at saucer' cuts in the travel pod approach which don't work.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 05:27 PM   #11
trevanian
Rear Admiral

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
First time I saw the Jem-Hadar kind of 85% vasish, you could still kind of seem them, at the same time they did seem to vanish or be like a shadow in a dark room...
Oh, you mean in PREDATOR, right?
Old February 2 2009, 05:28 PM   #12
trevanian
Rear Admiral

KirksFlyingFist wrote: View Post

Enterprise is a disgrace however. It's awful use of CG is enough to make anyone gag.
Are you talking about that future library set they did? I quit watching after the show with that computer game reject of an image.
Old February 2 2009, 05:46 PM   #13
jongredic
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
KirksFlyingFist wrote: View Post

Are you talking about that future library set they did? I quit watching after the show with that computer game reject of an image.
I actually kinda liked Enterprise's CG efforts One of my favourite "beauty shots", if you will, is in Shockwave, part I, as Enterprise moves from beneath/behind the camera POV towards the planet. Granted, I think the budget cuts sometimes showed a couple of times in season 4 (Soong in the Augments embryo chamber, for instance). And I wasn't overly impressed with the Gorn - I would've much preferred a guy in a green suit with ping-pong ball eyes

That's probably just me though.
Old February 2 2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

The Battles of War Of The Warrior & Sacrifice Of Angels both seriously impressed me. The former - a model sequence, the later CG showing its true potential.

When you consider how painstaking the work that went into minimalist battles with model was implied to be, the amount that went into WOTW is staggering.

But then SOA with traditional modelwork is hard to picture as well.
Old February 2 2009, 06:31 PM   #15
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
The Battles of War Of The Warrior & Sacrifice Of Angels both seriously impressed me. The former - a model sequence, the later CG showing its true potential.

When you consider how painstaking the work that went into minimalist battles with model was implied to be, the amount that went into WOTW is staggering.

But then SOA with traditional modelwork is hard to picture as well.
Yep...I loved both those episodes. And the battles actually propelled the story, not just there as window dressing...

TELL me you don't get goosebumps when Worf's Klingon fleet dives out of the sun and attacks the Jem'hadar, allowing Sisko to break the line!!

Rob