RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,660
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 427
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 9 2009, 12:06 AM   #16
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

Re: 49ers - quest for a new stadium

Sharing a stadium with the Raiders would be an insult to both teams, lol. Plus, there is no way I'd go to stadium that's going to be played upon by a worse team (sorry Raiders fans, but it's true).

Nor should the 49ers have to relocate to a wannabe 'city' of Santa Clara. Remember, a couple of blocks of offices don't make an area a 'city'.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
But seriously, sharing with the Raiders is the worst idea ever.
Do you no how many homicides in the name of "Raider Nation"
there would be?
Probably somewhere between zero and absolutely none.

seriously though, this whole Raiders/49ers bloodshed rivalry is way overblown. It's not like they're at each other's throats or anything. I mean, they're not even in the same conference. In the end, who really cares?

There are things we can accept as axioms:

- Candlestick sucks, and cannot be renovated
- Oakland Coliseum sucks, and cannot be renovated
- In this economy, there's no way the Raiders and 49ers could get separate stadiums built

Therefore, the logical alternative is for them to share one stadium.

Like I keep saying: The Jets and Giants have shared a stadium for decades in New York. They will continue to do so. It's worked out just fine so far. Nobody has been killed, no fights breaking out, none of that crap. (Didn't happen when the Mets and Yankees briefly shared Shea, either.) If they can get away with sharing a stadium, there's no reason the Bay Area teams can't as well.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 10:05 AM   #18
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^^
Sharing a stadium works ok in soccer in many European cities too, where the fans of the two clubs really hate each other - for example Rome, Milan, Athens, Munich, Moscow.
Old February 23 2009, 04:00 PM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Exactly! And if *European soccer teams* can pull this off, you know that sharing a new stadium between the Raiders and 49ers would be childsplay compared to that.

I think it would even help the A's get their new ballpark built, assuming they would be up for a temporary sharing of AT&T Park with the Giants: the Coliseum could be razed, and the A's build their new park where it used to be, while the Raiders and 49ers temporarily share Candlestick while building a new joint stadium.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote