Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 20 36.36%
Above Average 22 40.00%
Average 11 20.00%
Below Average 2 3.64%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5 2009, 04:46 AM   #61
Jaron
Captain

Re: Lost 5x04: "The Little Prince"

Brent wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
The other weird thing about these time flashes, it seems that this is the first time this has happened because Alpert is completely unfamiliar with it. But wouldn't this happen every single time you Donkey Wheel the Island? Wouldn't it have happened when Widmore/Hawking moved the Island in the past to escape Dharma/US Army?

Maybe the Whispers are the characters indirectly perceiving other time-flashing time-jumpers? But no, since the 1953 Others and Indian shooters were clearly able to see them fully...
Maybe it doesn't ALWAYS initiate time travel when you move the wheel. Perhaps it just depends, on what I don't know.
Who says the island has even been Donkey Wheeled before? Ben did have to blow a hole in the Orchid station to even get at it. If it's been moved in the past, it might have been through different means under more controlled circumstances.
Old February 5 2009, 04:46 AM   #62
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Jaron wrote: View Post
The other weird thing about these time flashes, it seems that this is the first time this has happened because Alpert is completely unfamiliar with it. But wouldn't this happen every single time you Donkey Wheel the Island? Wouldn't it have happened when Widmore/Hawking moved the Island in the past to escape Dharma/US Army?

Maybe the Whispers are the characters indirectly perceiving other time-flashing time-jumpers? But no, since the 1953 Others and Indian shooters were clearly able to see them fully...
Maybe it doesn't ALWAYS initiate time travel when you move the wheel. Perhaps it just depends, on what I don't know.
Who says the island has even been Donkey Wheeled before? Ben did have to blow a hole in the Orchid station to even get at it. If it's been moved in the past, it might have been through different means under more controlled circumstances.
Also, very possible.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 5 2009, 04:49 AM   #63
Agent Richard07
Admiral

It said that Locke returning the Oceanic Six to the Island will stop the time-flashes.

Did we know this?
I figured that was the case. Watching all that Star Trek probably helped me out.

Does this mean the time-flashes are going to last for three years on the Island, or just that when things get settled the 06 will be three years in the future as far as Sawyer et al are concerned?
I think it'll be 3 years for the Oceanic 6, but a few days for those on the island.
Old February 5 2009, 04:51 AM   #64
Mr Light
Admiral

I doubt that in all these centuries they've never Donkey Wheeled the Island before. They've never had to move the Island to avoid discovery and exploitation before?

Old February 5 2009, 04:53 AM   #65
Mr Light
Admiral

Also, Ben to blow a hole through the Dharma station to get to the Donkey Wheel. And he knew before hand it was going to be freezing cold down there. And Chang had a parka sitting there ready to go on a tropical island. This suggests that they have foreknowledge of the Wheel chamber, probably from Dharma messing with it in the 70s over Chang's protests (which is probably "The Incident").

Old February 5 2009, 04:53 AM   #66
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I doubt that in all these centuries they've never Donkey Wheeled the Island before. They've never had to move the Island to avoid discovery and exploitation before?
would they have been able to get to it? and who is "they"

Old February 5 2009, 04:55 AM   #67
Brent
Admiral

Also, Ben to blow a hole through the Dharma station to get to the Donkey Wheel. And he knew before hand it was going to be freezing cold down there. And Chang had a parka sitting there ready to go on a tropical island. This suggests that they have foreknowledge of the Wheel chamber, probably from Dharma messing with it in the 70s over Chang's protests (which is probably "The Incident").
IMO The Incident and the Wheel are unrelated, IMO The Incident is simply an accident of them experimenting with the electromagnetic properties of that part of the island The Swan was built on, something happened with their reactor, it started leaking and a charge built up, and this was The Incident.

Old February 5 2009, 04:59 AM   #68
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Hey, now we finally know for certain that Rousseau was NOT an Other. Of course she might have joined them after crashing and then later got exiled or ran away herself...

I can't wait to see Jin and the French encountering Cerebus!!!
My first thought was - Jin spent the last three months trying to learn English, now he wakes up surrounded by people who only speak French!!

Jaron wrote: View Post

The first episode this season, Candle was called to the Orchid because 'they' 'discovered' something. The donkey wheel had been imbedded in rock - the workers wanted to blast it.

I don't think, prior to Dharma (the 70s?) the donkey wheel had been used in several centuries.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old February 5 2009, 04:59 AM   #69
Mr Light
Admiral

It seems to me that the Swan and the Orchid are closely related to each other. Both are sitting on a pocket of exotic matter. The Swan appeared to be on a pocket black hole, whereas the Orchid is on a timey-wimey-travel-thingee-matter bubble. Perhaps it is the micro black hole that powers the time travel bubble.

Old February 5 2009, 05:00 AM   #70
Brent
Admiral

It seems to me that the Swan and the Orchid are closely related to each other. Both are sitting on a pocket of exotic matter. The Swan appeared to be on a pocket black hole, whereas the Orchid is on a timey-wimey-travel-thingee-matter bubble. Perhaps it is the micro black hole that powers the time travel bubble.
a pocket black hole? really?

all they said was they (the DI) were studying electromagnetic properties in that part of the island

Old February 5 2009, 05:05 AM   #71
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah, I've had this theory for awhile. The Swan sat on a micro black hole that existed in equilibrium within the Island due to its weird properties. Dharma, in its finite wisdom, decided to poke a hole in the dam so to speak, hoping harness the energy from a pinpoint hole in the black hole. This is why if you don't push the button it will destroy the world; it periodically vents the released energy harmlessly. If you don't push the button, the black hole escapes its captivity and devours the planet. The fail safe key permanently seals the Dharma hole in the barrier, so that no more energy can escape, but this also means Dharma could never hope to harness that energy for good (hence why they didn't just seal it in the first place).

Old February 5 2009, 05:05 AM   #72
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Maybe the Swan's EM field was supposed to counteract the time-unstickyness, and when Desmond hit the failsafe that protection was destroyed.
Old February 5 2009, 05:09 AM   #73
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh, that's an excellent point! What's different between the 70s and now? The Swan blew up! Of course, my understanding is Dharma created that hole in the 70s and now it's sealed, so that basically the Island was reverted to its pre-70s state with Desmond blowing the Swan. Gee, that sounds dirty...

Old February 5 2009, 05:12 AM   #74
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Hey, now we finally know for certain that Rousseau was NOT an Other. Of course she might have joined them after crashing and then later got exiled or ran away herself...
It never occured to me that she might have been an Other.
Old February 5 2009, 05:16 AM   #75
Mr Light
Admiral

Lots of people were convinced she was an Other who got exiled or ran away from them. Too many holes in her story, like how she's never seen the Others before only heard their whispers, then all of a sudden she's an expert at tracking and capturing them and is an expert on Ben and how he'll lie for a long time under torture... It appeared that she was married to Ben and had Alex with him but then ran off for some reason. I never thought it myself but it was a plausible theory. Still could be true if she just joins the Others after the Frenchies get killed.