Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 30 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Devil's Due

Plot Summary: A distress call brings the Enterprise to the Ventaxian system, where several Federation scientists have been taken hostage by a group of panicked natives. The one scientist rescued by the crew, Dr. Clark, explains that the Ventaxians believe the legendary Ardra has returned to enslave their planet after granting them a thousand years of peace. When Picard beams down to negotiate the release of the hostages with the help of Ventaxian leader Jared, Ardra appears and announces that the planet belongs to her now. Picard becomes outraged when she triggers quakes, changes form into various incarnations of the devil, and intimates that she desires him. He sends Data to study the scrolls outlining the agreement between Ardra and the Ventaxians and asks LaForge to figure out her power source. Data's examination of the contract reveals that it appears to be valid under Ventaxian law...and worse, that because the Enterprise was in orbit when Ardra returned, she has a legal claim on the ship as well. Meanwhile Ardra sets to work trying to seduce Picard, appearing in his quarters and transforming into Deanna Troi before sending him to the planet in his pyjamas. To give LaForge time to track Ardra's power source, Picard invokes Ventaxian law and demands an arbitrator to rule on the validity of Ardra's claim. Ardra chooses Data to take on that role, though she insists that Picard must willingly become her love slave if she wins. Picard learns from Jared that the mythical Ardra did not, in fact, transform the planet; the Ventaxians did that themselves after agreeing to follow her instructions that they become peaceful and prosperous. Even so, Data is inclined to believe that because Jared accepts this Ardra as the historical Ardra, the contract is valid. But LaForge finds the ship that gives Ardra her powers and prevents her from accessing it, while at the same time allowing Picard to produce quakes and change his form. Having proved this Ardra to be a phony, Picard has her taken into custody and assures Jared that the Ventaxians have proven able to govern themselves without supernatural meddling.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old January 30 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Del Coro
Cadet

Re: Devil's Due

"What's my motivation?" is not the Method, but thanks for playing.
Old January 30 2009, 11:05 PM   #3
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

*sigh*

After weeks upon weeks of fair reviews by MEG I suppose her ridiculous political agenda was bound to surface eventually.

Except this time it doesn't even make sense. The episode is sexist because Picard doesn't bang Ardra like the pathogenically sexist Kirk would? Please.

She's looking for controversy in an episode that provokes none and doesn't even try.

Also, I thought it was pretty good. Far from "terrible" as she states.
Old January 30 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Hehe - I agree. I have always enjoyed this one as well.

It's cheesy, and it sort of has a TOS "vibe" to it. (Which isn't too surprising considering it was a Phase 2 script.) In my book, that is what makes this episode so much fun.

Lots and lots of great quotes, too.
Old January 30 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

The episode is sexist why again? Virtually no episodes focus on the motivations of the villain to the degree MEG appears to be suggesting, but I don't understand how this makes it sexist. It isn't as if there were a male villain in the same episode who was depicted with more depth or something. I really don't understand this assertion.
Old January 31 2009, 12:05 AM   #6
Lord Garth

I discovered Star Trek in early-1991 and this has the honor of being the first new episode I ever watched.

Old January 31 2009, 02:41 AM   #7
Geck
Rear Admiral

I've always hated this episode, but just because it sucks, not because it's allegedly sexist.
Old February 1 2009, 01:20 AM   #8
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

I found this epsiode enjoyable fun. I'd never thought about much deeper because it's played as pretty much a fun episode throughout. Sometimes not everything has to be complicated or deep.

Sexist? I don't see this, and I feel I'm missing something in the review backing this up.

And again I don't see the episode as looking down on faith. Trek is full of diverse races, some who are religious, some not, and some who are nieve. This one is nieve and impressed by what is obviously impressive technology. If earthquakes are racking your world, you're going to be scared of the person that's doing it.

And to echo Dorkboy, with all the talk of TOS I'm surprised that MEG didn't note this was a script from the aborted Star Trek Phase 2 -- to an extent, it is out of its time.
Old February 1 2009, 01:56 AM   #9
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Fun episode!

"The advocate will refrain from making his opponent disappear".

- Bertrand Russell
Old February 1 2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Mutai Sho-Rin

I put it in the "Guilty Pleasure" category. It certainly doesn't advance the character development of the principals very much but it is just plain FUN.
Old February 2 2009, 12:09 AM   #11
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
"The advocate will refrain from making his opponent disappear".
That's the one.Thank you! I vaguely remembered some line amusing me, and the quotes mentioned so far weren't ringing any bells.

But you got it, that's the one that I loved.
Old February 2 2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Get this woman a proofreader, stat!
Old February 2 2009, 07:18 AM   #13
James Bond
Rear Admiral

How does this woman still manage to write reviews on this site?

Just utterly terrible.
Old February 2 2009, 05:36 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's worth noting that this is one of the two TNG episodes based upon teleplays originally written for "Star Trek: Phase II." It's considerably better than the "Phase II" version.

It would have been more fun if Ardra at some point had taken the form of Al Gore.
Old February 2 2009, 06:38 PM   #15
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I liked Devil's Due...good one!

I also like Dennis' idea of Ardra turning into Algore...LOL!!!