Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 4 2009, 02:49 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Mulgrew On Acting, Life And Politics

Being good at one's craft requires discipline and sacrifice, according to actress Kate Mulgrew.

As reported by Totally Kate, Mulgrew, currently appearing in Equus as Hester Saloman, is preparing for her next role where she will portray Maria Callas in The Master Class. Getting ready for the role of the opera star means research for Mulgrew. "I’m in the middle of it," explained Mulgrew. "I've got every single thing she ever sang and every documentary that we could get, and all the literature and I'm right in the middle of it. It's extremely dense, the research for this, because there's so much available to me. Do you know? I feel really torn."

If Mulgrew were to prepare her own master class, she would teach her students certain things about life and art. "[Callas] says a lot of the things that I say when I teach my own students. She says it's all about discipline; it's a certain...it requires a certain epic strength; that if you want to be great at anything that you do, the sacrifices are unending. And I think that her passion for her craft is not unlike mine for mine, with one possible exception, and that is that she was absolutely unsurpassed as a dramatic coloratura."

Mulgrew's ambition has eased a bit as she has aged. "I've lightened up, you know," she said. "When I was young, my ambition was pretty incredible. And even throughout all the years of raising the children and all the rest of it, it was...I had blinders on. I would say now there's no question that life is about who you love. And I have loved this, and it's saved me. It saved me. I've had a lot of bad blows. It's really saved me. I've always had it to go to. It's exalting and it's great, you know, it's art. But it's not people. That’s where I would say the change is. I know that now."

Like many Americans, Mulgrew was happy to see Barack Obama elected. "What an amazing thing, huh?," she said. "What a...what a brilliant thing. I was reading in the Times a few days ago, letters to the editor, and there was a letter from Canada, this is how I feel, from some woman in Ottawa, but she was speaking for Canada: 'We've missed you. Welcome back dear America.' And that's how it feels. That we're back. It's going to be hard. It's going to be very hard. It's going to be complicated. But dear America is back. And that idiot and his cohorts have gone. Right?"

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old February 5 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
dudley
Commodore

Re: Mulgrew On Acting, Life And Politics

Oh yes, Mulgrew! America is back. The celestial choirs are singing, the heavens have opened up and are now in the process of shining light upon our just now very fertile lands. Iran threw up its nuclear ambitions into the wastebasket and kissed and made up with Israel in the most lovey-dovey way. Very misunderstood men with weapons in the Middle East have laid down those weapons and started participating in soccer team tryouts. North Korea ain't gunna test any kind of rocket or what-have-you, and I don't have to pay for gasoline or my mortgage bill anymore. Construction workers are swinging lots of hammers again and we'll land on a planet three slots beyond Pluto before our fearless leader's first term is up.

I can't wait for the doubleplusgood chocolate.

Old February 5 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Preach it, brother.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old February 6 2009, 04:25 AM   #4
sulla
Cadet

I don't know any women in Ottowa, but I do know historian Victor Davis Hanson, who wrote yesterday: "We are quite literally after two weeks teetering on an Obama implosion—and with no Dick Morris to bail him out—brought on by messianic delusions of grandeur, hubris, and a strange naivete..."

Maybe it's that OTHER America - the one John Edwards loved to blather about - that's back. If so, it had better get its act together, because the early results would be laughable if they weren't so frightening.