Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 5 2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Re: So after watching Smallville's "Power"...

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Both male and female superhero characters in comic books are presented as ideals. They are not intended to be realistic, it's part of who they are and it's not really discussed. If it was, wouldn't superheroines be inundated with requests to pose for Playboy, modelling contracts etc ?

Surely millions of teenage boys would have posters of Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman, Power Girl and the like on their walls ?

Power Girl is the chief exception since she complains about how she is treated while wearing an outfit that doesn't exactly repel the eye.

She-Hulk seems to be quite proud of supposedly having the largest breasts in the Marvel Universe, but then she is occasionally written as if she realises she is a comic book character anyway.
Ah, such great words...

Adding to that, men don't complain about being objectified, Technobuilder. Nightwing is NEVER going to complain about all the women who keep staring and commenting on his super ripped abs.

I don't see why anyone complains about how these women are drawn. It's just a comicbook. They're supposed to be drawn super sexy and perfect. There was a whole big controversy over the cover of Heroes for Hire #13:

The 2006 volume of Heroes for Hire was at the center of a controversy concerning increased sexuality in mainstream comic books due to the, what some considered, explicit cover art to Heroes for Hire issue 13. The controversy centered on what critics viewed as the proposed sexual violence against the characters of Black Cat, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. Marvel's official response to the outcry was to support the comic's creative team on the matter
But it's mostly the women who complain about how women are drawn, but outrageous depictions of men go unscathed. Go figure.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
So after watching Smallville's "Power"...

Is Lana Lang now the "Power Girl" (ala Karen Starr) of the Smallville Continuity?

My first inclination was to say NO, they're not doing that, but the title of the episode keeps bringing me back to this conclusion.

Thoughts?

The episode overall I didn't hate, but I'm sick of the Lana will they won't they, established way back when. Once Lois came into the picture, I just wanted Clark to grow a pair and let go.
I actually think they based this storyline on the Prometheus storyline from the Blue Beetle and Teen Titans comics of the 80s.

See Prometheus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(DC_Comics)
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 04:09 PM   #18
Hermiod
Admiral

Luminus wrote: View Post
But it's mostly the women who complain about how women are drawn, but outrageous depictions of men go unscathed. Go figure.
That's because all violence towards men, especially sexual violence is fine. As is portraying them as sexual objects. It's true.

If you don't believe me, watch this very episode of Smallville and the orgasmic look on Tess Mercer's face as she beat a man to death.

Combine that with her less than subtle comments about men in previous episodes, too.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Although previously unfamiliar with her, I actually have come to quite like the character of Power Girl, partly because she's become aware of her physical effect on others. Isn't the tongue-in-cheek given origin of her cleavage window that she wanted to think up her own attention-drawing symbol differing from the 'S' shield, so that part of her costume was left open; then, she realized enemies would get distracted by her boobs and she didn't really need a symbol after all?

(That said, I hope they don't fit Lana into that role. Why is she back on Smallville anyway, really?)

That's because all violence towards men, especially sexual violence is fine. As is portraying them as sexual objects. It's true.

If you don't believe me, watch this very episode of Smallville and the orgasmic look on Tess Mercer's face as she beat a man to death.

Combine that with her less than subtle comments about men in previous episodes, too.
Agreed entirely. It's a definite double standard. Perhaps knee-jerk subconscious (or not so subconscious) reaction to centuries of perceived and actual oppression by men?

And I'd add to the notion of men not minding being objectified that no man I've ever met has minded bragging about or exaggerating or allowing the size of his package to be exaggerated by others, myself included.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 08:45 PM   #20
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Although previously unfamiliar with her, I actually have come to quite like the character of Power Girl, partly because she's become aware of her physical effect on others. Isn't the tongue-in-cheek given origin of her cleavage window that she wanted to think up her own attention-drawing symbol differing from the 'S' shield, so that part of her costume was left open; then, she realized enemies would get distracted by her boobs and she didn't really need a symbol after all?

(That said, I hope they don't fit Lana into that role. Why is she back on Smallville anyway, really?)

Agreed entirely. It's a definite double standard. Perhaps knee-jerk subconscious (or not so subconscious) reaction to centuries of perceived and actual oppression by men?

And I'd add to the notion of men not minding being objectified that no man I've ever met has minded bragging about or exaggerating or allowing the size of his package to be exaggerated by others, myself included.
The only time the double standard really bugs me is with men's relative intelligence, particularly on sitcoms. I often wonder why the Jill Taylors and Deborah Romanos even married these guys, except maybe to have someone they could always feel superior to, which stank when guys did it, and stinks no less as payback. Even worse, it all gives a wrong image of these slackers. In RL, a guy who would do all those stupid thoughtless things is not an otherwise lovable lug--odds are he's a bank-account draining abuser. A glare and folded arms won't do much, then.

Again, though, brain-dead and overly-self-loving morons are who KS/PG is likely to fight, so her attributes are put to well-targeted use. I just thank God that they never had her hook up with her now-non-Cousin Kal, between COIE and IC. I wonder if they ever showed her showing up on Earth Post-Crisis, and then being disabused of her 'false' Krypton origin. Also, I can't imagine younger Kal quite holding her back the way Kal-L might have initially, so her 'tude might have needed some explanation.

Smallville is proving to be the great equalizer : any character of any gender can be weakened to the point of fan aggravation.
Old February 5 2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well said.

Slightly OT, have you seen who has popped up in JSA a bit back and had something of an emotional effect on Power Girl?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old February 7 2009, 08:10 AM   #22
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Oh, I know it's true. I just wanted to point out the double standard.

Well said.

Slightly OT, have you seen who has popped up in JSA a bit back and had something of an emotional effect on Power Girl?
I thought Kingdom Come Superman was killed by Gog?

Completely OT, what's with that stupid ad to the right: 1 Flat Stomach Rule: (obey)? It's everywhere I surf. How does such rampant false advertising continue to exist, unchecked? Enough with the dangerous snake oil reminiscent weight loss pills!

Old February 7 2009, 05:57 PM   #23
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well said.

I thought Kingdom Come Superman was killed by Gog?
Well... not quite.

Completely OT, what's with that stupid ad to the right: 1 Flat Stomach Rule: (obey)? It's everywhere I surf. How does such rampant false advertising continue to exist, unchecked? Enough with the dangerous snake oil reminiscent weight loss pills!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old February 7 2009, 07:09 PM   #24
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Probably some of the ads are triggered by keywords on the page, I see that a lot lately. We've mentioned Nightwing's abs several times.

I'm just surprised there isn't a Wonderbra ad there.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2009, 04:28 PM   #25
Luminus
Fleet Captain

I haven't read Kingdom Come, yet.

As for those ads, they lead to some nonsense about colon cleansing. If you've never seen a colon cleansing website, be forewarned. It's horrendously disgusting. But I suspect that's just part of the scheme.

Any colon cleansers out there want to shed some light?

Old February 8 2009, 11:40 PM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'm glad I used spoiler code. Go buy 'Kingdom Come.'

Now.

You'll be so excited you'll crap your pants and not need any colon cleansing. (And yes, those sites are gross).
Old February 9 2009, 01:40 AM   #27
Kryton
Admiral

For the most part (despite some stilted performances) the audio dramatization of Kingdom Come is pretty compelling listening as well.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 02:15 AM   #28
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Really?? Anyone good in it?
Old February 9 2009, 07:03 AM   #29
Luminus
Fleet Captain

I'm glad I used spoiler code. Go buy 'Kingdom Come.'

Now.

You'll be so excited you'll crap your pants and not need any colon cleansing. (And yes, those sites are gross).
It's on the list along with Watchmen and Tower of Babel.

Old February 9 2009, 06:16 PM   #30
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Pick up 'DC: New Frontier' while you're at it too. Your colon will thank you.