Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 1 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Technobuilder
Commodore

So after watching Smallville's "Power"...

Is Lana Lang now the "Power Girl" (ala Karen Starr) of the Smallville Continuity?

My first inclination was to say NO, they're not doing that, but the title of the episode keeps bringing me back to this conclusion.

Thoughts?

The episode overall I didn't hate, but I'm sick of the Lana will they won't they, established way back when. Once Lois came into the picture, I just wanted Clark to grow a pair and let go.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 05:33 PM   #2
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: So after watching Smallville's "Power"...

I asked this same question in the episode thread. I really don't know. Judging from the trailer for next week, it looks like she might lose her powers already, but that could just be a red herring.
Old February 1 2009, 05:39 PM   #3
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I'm sorry to hear that; I hope you're okay.
Old February 1 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Is Lana Lang now the "Power Girl" (ala Karen Starr) of the Smallville Continuity?
Not until she sees the plastic surgeon. ( . )( . )
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Technobuilder
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
^Um... What?

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

^QFT

Although... I always felt bad for Karen aka PowerGirl, because she was always the one being objectified. Not Diana, or Babs.

I mean...Artists and the way they draw certain female characters aside, Karen's character is the only 'major' player I can think of where references to her bust size are an actual part of her character's concept and interactions with other characters. It's in dialogue for goodness sakes!

Example:

Wonder Woman (aka Diana Prince)
-Smoking Hot and Regal/Statuesque

Batgirl/Oracle (aka Barbara Gordon)
-Smoking Hot and Intelleigent/Brilliant

Power Girl
(aka Karen Star)
-Smoking Hot and has Big Boobs/Massive Cleavage?

>Seriously? She leads the JSA for crying out Loud.

Why isn't that most people's first thought?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old February 3 2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Luminus
Fleet Captain

^Um... What?

^QFT

Although... I always felt bad for Karen aka PowerGirl, because she was always the one being objectified. Not Diana, or Babs.

I mean...Artists and the way they draw certain female characters aside, Karen's character is the only 'major' player I can think of where references to her bust size are an actual part of her character's concept and interactions with other characters. It's in dialogue for goodness sakes!

Example:

Power Girl
(aka Karen Star)

Superman (aka Kall-El, Clark Kent)
-Ripped and Moral/Iconic

Batman (aka Bruce Wayne)
-Ripped and Intelligent/Brilliant

Nightwing
(aka Dick Grayson)
-Insanely Ripped and has A Six Pack/Super-ridiculously ripped Abs that show through his outfits with incredible detail?

I'm just saying...

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

But hasn't there already been a Kara? After all, Power Girl (aka Karen Starr) is the Earth-2 Kara/Supergirl.

It be a nice touch if Lana becomes the Insect Queen instead.
Old February 3 2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Technobuilder
Commodore

Luminus wrote: View Post

^Um... What?

^QFT

Example:

Power Girl
(aka Karen Star)

Superman (aka Kall-El, Clark Kent)
-Ripped and Moral/Iconic

Batman (aka Bruce Wayne)
-Ripped and Intelligent/Brilliant

Nightwing
(aka Dick Grayson)
-Insanely Ripped and has A Six Pack/Super-ridiculously ripped Abs that show through his outfits with incredible detail?

I'm just saying...
^I'm not sure I understand the point you're making.

I get the comparisons obviously, but have comic authors been making an issue of pointing out Dick Grayson's Abs and then having characters discuss it in dialogue? (Again this discussion is outside of the way artists draw the characters.)

I was trying to get at the fact that PowerGirl is objectified so much "outside of the comics" that the perception has worked its way into how new writers think about the character to such a degree that it's actually being written into her stories now.
Old February 3 2009, 02:00 PM   #9
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

^Um... What?

^QFT

Example:

Power Girl (aka Karen Star)

Some women have very large boobs.

My sister in law has (had, she's in her late 50's now) a very similar body type to Power Girl, a comparatively slim and muscular physique along with triple D's. I've known several women like that over the years, unfortunately never having an opportunity to date one. And the reality is, sometimes people make comments. Comments from co-workers are considered harassment these days, but there are still jokes and cracks from friends and family and my S-I-L herself would joke more than anyone.

I'm not saying that the physiques on superheroes and heroines are remotely realistic, but Power Girl is actually (depending on the artist) probably closer to women I've seen in real life than most others, in particular I've seen Supergirl drawn really skinny, with silicon-looking boobs sticking out.

My daughter for the last few years goes to circus camp in the summer and I've gotten to know some male and female acrobats who are the instructors, and their physiques don't resemble any artist's rendition of a superhero I've seen. Any hero that get's around town swinging on a rope or a cable or a web isn't really properly proportioned IMHO. So just saying, it's all sexual aesthetic anyway.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 12:11 AM   #10
nx1701g
Admiral

I had a similar thought.
Old February 4 2009, 01:44 AM   #11
Technobuilder
Commodore

^I'm sensing some Smallville hate. (Which is fine I guess, as it's not what I would call a good series.)

And I'm not an Apologist for it or anything.

But it's not like it's Charmed or Andromeda or something. *shudders*
Old February 4 2009, 03:49 AM   #12
nx1701g
Admiral

^ It's more Lana hate.
Old February 4 2009, 04:43 AM   #13
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ It's more Lana hate.
In my case it was more of just me being an asshole.
Old February 4 2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post

^Um... What?

^QFT

Example:

Power Girl (aka Karen Star)

Some women have very large boobs.

My sister in law has (had, she's in her late 50's now) a very similar body type to Power Girl, a comparatively slim and muscular physique along with triple D's. I've known several women like that over the years, unfortunately never having an opportunity to date one. And the reality is, sometimes people make comments. Comments from co-workers are considered harassment these days, but there are still jokes and cracks from friends and family and my S-I-L herself would joke more than anyone.

I'm not saying that the physiques on superheroes and heroines are remotely realistic, but Power Girl is actually (depending on the artist) probably closer to women I've seen in real life than most others, in particular I've seen Supergirl drawn really skinny, with silicon-looking boobs sticking out.

My daughter for the last few years goes to circus camp in the summer and I've gotten to know some male and female acrobats who are the instructors, and their physiques don't resemble any artist's rendition of a superhero I've seen. Any hero that get's around town swinging on a rope or a cable or a web isn't really properly proportioned IMHO. So just saying, it's all sexual aesthetic anyway.
Your avatar reminded me that, when I saw the manga-ized DC Direct figures of Batgirl, Catwoman and Power Girl, Karen was the only one whose bust size was not dramatically enhanced. When even an anime-style figure of the character has nowhere else to go on that front--well, wow.

That said, she is one of my favorite characters, because of her always and forever trying to figure herself out. I love her contradictions, like when one of the Crimson Fox twins mocked her outrage at men's attention to her attributes. CF pointed out that, this outrage aside, the woman has a giant cut-out 'window' on her uniform's chest area, basically crying out 'stare at me!'

Back to the original topic, Lana as PG might work, being as they never hook up once and for all (and it beats the creepy feelings Silver Age Kara seemed to have for Kal), but Clana must come to a decisive end. I really hope this is the writers faking us out and not a true backslide.
Old February 4 2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Hermiod
Admiral

Both male and female superhero characters in comic books are presented as ideals. They are not intended to be realistic, it's part of who they are and it's not really discussed. If it was, wouldn't superheroines be inundated with requests to pose for Playboy, modelling contracts etc ?

Surely millions of teenage boys would have posters of Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman, Power Girl and the like on their walls ?

Power Girl is the chief exception since she complains about how she is treated while wearing an outfit that doesn't exactly repel the eye.

She-Hulk seems to be quite proud of supposedly having the largest breasts in the Marvel Universe, but then she is occasionally written as if she realises she is a comic book character anyway.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote