Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2009, 02:29 AM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The Thing prequel?

Ah, yes, that's the article I saw a few weeks ago. I hope it's incorrect, though. MacReady's brother to be the lead? How does that work if the film is from the Norwegian's perspective? Or will that only serve as a jumping off point for a film that is predominately a sequel? And if the script is already written, why is the director the one pushing for the leading character? It's hard to tell what the deal is from that article.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 04:47 AM   #17
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

If you're gonna do a prequel to The Thing, do a prequel to The Thing. How did the creature get on that saucer? Where did it come from? Was that its ship or did it seize it from the crew? End with the Norwegians digging it out of the ice. No question that's a tougher trick to pull off, but focusing on the Norwegians risks being a rehash of the events in the American camp.
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 05:34 AM   #18
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

I would have expected this story to break in the first #)(%*#)^* week of winter.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 11:25 PM   #19
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

The Thing prequel

stj wrote: View Post
Anyone have more information or thoughts on the story Moore is doing a prequel to The Thing
The Thing Prequel Script Review
the bigger question that fans of The Thing want to know is whether this project is a creative failure at the script level and whether there’s any reason to look ahead. That’s precisely what I’m hoping to give to you by the end of this article, not a blow-by-blow summary of the story’s plot points.
Click HERE to read the rest.
via April 27, 2010
Exclusive: Script review of The Thing prequel

budgeted at $35 million Universal's prequel to The Thing is now shooting up in Toronto, Canada with exteriors in British Columbia, Canada through mid-June.

Australian actor Joel Edgerton) (Smokin' Aces; "Owen Lars" to Star Wars fans), who plays a helicopter pilot
full interview chat transcript here:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44874

the imdb listing:
The Thing (2011)
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 11:32 PM   #20
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Tulin wrote: View Post

Nah, if MooreRon is doing it, count me out BIG TIME.
Clever
Old May 22 2010, 01:56 AM   #21
stj
Rear Admiral

The paranoia about shape shifting was already done. Doing it again with better FX doesn't seem that attractive.
Old May 22 2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

The Thing already covered the whole "bunch of dudes in Antarctica get infiltrated by a shape-shifting alien, their camp burns down and they all die horribly... or do they?" The Norwegians all die, as well. What's the fucking point of watching them do it realtime? It was much creepier seeing The Thing cast working through the wreckage, trying to figure out WTF happened.

I'd rather not see what happened on the alien ship, either. Watching proper non-humanoid looking aliens or humans as aliens ala Star Trek fight a shape shifter, then crash on Earth would be stupid.

The only thing that makes sense (to me) is a direct sequel like the video game where the military investigates the loss of contact with the outpost, shit hits the fan and we go from there. MacReady's brother or Norwegians or whatever is fucking dumb.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 04:34 PM   #23
Aeon
Commander

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
The only thing that makes sense (to me) is a direct sequel like the video game where the military investigates the loss of contact with the outpost, shit hits the fan and we go from there. MacReady's brother or Norwegians or whatever is fucking dumb.
I totally agree.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 04:47 PM   #24
miraclefan
Commodore

Aeon wrote: View Post
I totally agree.
2nd!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 08:51 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

QuasarVM wrote: View Post

There should be a financial freeze on financing remakes and reimaginings.
!"

That would make no sense, business-wise. If you look at top-grossing movies every year, most of them are sequels and remakes.

Hollywood is just giving people what they want.
Old May 23 2010, 08:37 AM   #26
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

What? No Ben Grimm?

...what...?
Old May 26 2010, 02:12 PM   #27
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

casting of The Thing prequel

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (a.k.a. Mr. Eko from Lost and Heavy Duty from G.I. Joe) will co-star in Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.'s prequel to John Carpenter's body-snatching classic The Thing. Akinnuoye-Agbaje plays Derek Jameson,
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20351
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 03:09 PM   #28
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Whatever they do, I hope they resist the urge to use too much CGI. Something about CGI effects just feels less scary. I wish I could put my finger on it but models and animatronics just feel scarier even if they sometimes look a bit cheesier.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 12:15 PM   #29
Vonstadt
Captain

This is such a bad bad idea.

I agree on the idea of the follow up investigation much like the Video Game did.

Its weird, the IMDB page seems to have some very non Norwegien names for its cast. Are we sure this isn't a re-boot rather than a prequel?

Vons

Last edited by Vonstadt; May 27 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Vonstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 05:47 PM   #30
Teelie
Vice Admiral

miraclefan wrote: View Post
Aeon wrote: View Post
I totally agree.
2nd!
Was going to mention the video game which did a rather decent sequel-type story. It's no Resident Evil (video game) but in that same vein of survival-horror genre.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote