TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 28 2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Remembering Apollo One

Forty-two years ago today...the AS-204 (renamed after the disaster to Apollo One) tragedy happened.

For those not in the know: During the 'plugs-out' test (the first test with all of the supply connections to the ground removed - rather like taking the training wheels off a bike), there was a spark behind a console on the spacecraft. Because the air was super-saturated with oxygen, the resulting fire spread out of control, and all three astronauts - Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee - were killed. Not from the fire itself, but from the smoke. Smoke inhalation is, I believe, more instantly lethal than fire...

Now I wasn't alive when this happened, but for those of you who were, how did you find out? What was your reaction?

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; January 28 2009 at 04:43 PM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Remembering Apollo One

I was blissfully unaware ... playing outside in the snow, no doubt. Or perhaps playing "vroom-vroom" with my Christmas presents.

Once I did learn about it, I was amazed at the apparent stupidity of pressurizing the capsule with pure oxygen. "Duh, what do you expect to happen?" But there was a very good reason, with pure oxygen, it was possible to reduce the cabin pressure considerably, reducing capsule mass and stress on the pressure compartment. The Russians had also lost a cosmonaut to this same problem six years earlier, but due to Cold War tensions and secrecy, we in the west never learned about this until decades later.

Sadly, the crew didn't die instantly, although I'd prefer if you were correct. They attempted to battle the blaze, and may have attempted to escape. NASA's Apollo 1 Fire Timeline is thorough with details ... starting at 23:31:04, the crew became aware of the problem.
Old January 28 2009, 05:36 AM   #3
MANT!
Rear Admiral

My Dad worked at the Kennedy Space center ..He came home late..his face ashen, he talked to my mom in low tones..and later watching TV, I found out "Gus " had died..I actually met Gus Grissom some months before..

Last edited by MANT!; January 28 2009 at 04:26 PM.
MANT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

I was around, but too young to realize what was going on. I knew about rockets and spacemen. I never really learned about Grissom, White, and Chafee until 3 years later when I started reading (and had learned to read) everything I could get my hands on about Apollo 8.

These men and others blazed the trail with their blood. It will be sad if we as a nation or race do not continue to follow the path.

AG
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

And I think it's safe to say that the AS-204 crew would have wanted the space program to continue, even though it meant their deaths. Gus himself said "The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."
Old January 30 2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Thumbs up to that.
Old January 30 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Mallory

I remember hearing about it on the news, and then reading up on it in the paper the next day. Mostly I was shocked, because NASA had a pretty impressive safety record up until that point.
Old January 30 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I've long harbored a bit of a fantasy where the Apollo 1 fire does not occur, and Gus Grissom is the first man on the moon. Not sure why, exactly, but it just seems like it would have been right.
Old January 30 2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Actually, the Apollo 1 fire happening on the pad may have saved later crews from losing their lives on orbit or even further out. A "Flying Dutchman" would have been a far worse outcome for the program and the nation than 3 heroes in Arlington. The fire happening when it did uncovered many design issues that needed to be rectified for a safe(r) craft.

Of course that's probably little consolation to the families and friends of Gus, Roger, and Ed.
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

And didn't Ed White's widow take her own life some time ago?
Old January 31 2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

Mysterion wrote: View Post
I've long harbored a bit of a fantasy where the Apollo 1 fire does not occur, and Gus Grissom is the first man on the moon. Not sure why, exactly, but it just seems like it would have been right.
Gus would have loved that. Damn. I missed this anniversary. Godspeed Gus, Ed, and Roger. You are missed.
Old January 31 2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

Salute, fellas!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote