Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 216 82.44%
Above Average 34 12.98%
Average 8 3.05%
Below Average 2 0.76%
Poor 2 0.76%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 1 2009, 12:20 AM   #151
Starwind
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x13: "The Oath"

But after seeing the mutiny playout, it's very difficult to continue to side with Gaeta/Zarek. It got ugly FAST. I doubt Gaeta was hoping for that kind of bloodshed, but nonetheless it happened. I have a feeling that while he may not regret overthrowing Adama, he might soon regret the measures he took to do it.
The look on Gaeta's face when the mutiny took its first casualty (Laird) says he forgot that it wouldn't be bloodless.
Old February 1 2009, 12:27 AM   #152
WendellM
Commodore

A welcome payoff to last's ep's slow setup. I wasn't able to watch on Friday night; thank the gods for IMDB/Hulu:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/episodes#season-4

Great ep, wonderfully despicable Felix, great Kara. The backlash against the Cylons/munity made total sense and was handled very well.
Old February 1 2009, 12:29 AM   #153
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Excellent episode. It made up for the rest of the season which has been very low-key and dissapointing.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Who was the civilian guy with Racetrack who tried to capture Lee? I remember not liking him, but don't remember who he is. Though if I were Starbuck, I would've shot him through the throat so that it'd take him a while to die.
It was one of Sam's mercs from Caprica that Starbuck rescued.

Promo-talk:
billcosby wrote: View Post
And I agree with other posters who feel about the cliffhanger...
Old February 1 2009, 12:58 AM   #154
Aragorn
Admiral

Since Hotdog and Narcho were mentioned as the ready pilots to shoot down the raptor, anyone think Hotdog might end up shooting down Narcho?
Old February 1 2009, 01:04 AM   #155
Harvey
Admiral

Excellent. Second great episode out of three. I hope things stay at this level.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 1 2009, 01:40 AM   #156
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post

Thing is, Zarek wants to die. We saw that back in Bastille Day so killing him could be even more dangerous than letting him live. He has the makings of a martyr.
They could always find a way to expose the skeletons in his closet thus destroying is reputation and THEN kill him.
For a man like Zarek killing him doesn't matter, destroying his reputation is a fate worse than death. If you destroy his reputation there is no point in killing him.
It would be fitting if Adama sent Zarek, Gaeta, and the rest of the mutineers to the Astral Queen, then jumped without telling them the new coordinates.
Old February 1 2009, 01:43 AM   #157
nx1701g
Admiral

Jimmy_C wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

They could always find a way to expose the skeletons in his closet thus destroying is reputation and THEN kill him.
For a man like Zarek killing him doesn't matter, destroying his reputation is a fate worse than death. If you destroy his reputation there is no point in killing him.
It would be fitting if Adama sent Zarek, Gaeta, and the rest of the mutineers to the Astral Queen, then jumped without telling them the new coordinates.
Or giving them the coordinates to Cavil's fleet instead.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Since Hotdog and Narcho were mentioned as the ready pilots to shoot down the raptor, anyone think Hotdog might end up shooting down Narcho?
I think that's going to be what happens. Narcho is involved in the mutiny but Hot Dog will see them attacking a Raptor and fire on them - maybe Roslin sends out a wireless call that she's on the Raptor?
Old February 1 2009, 01:45 AM   #158
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Shooting is too good for The Gaeta. He's not even good enough for his first name any more. He has by his own choice, pulled a Baltar and sold out his Oath.

The Gaetas fate should be that sore spot on his leg stump should become infected with slowly and horribly fatal space herpes... or somethin'.

Of course the big deal about his leg pain is gonna be some kind of newly discovered regeneration or the like, making HIM the last Cylon. Then he'll just have to finish the job of killin' himself.. himself... 'cuz he hates himself, and will realize that he's become exactly like the 8 in the webisodes.
Old February 1 2009, 01:57 AM   #159
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

As much as I hate to admit it about a damn tv show, this ep was so intense I was actually shaking by the time it was over. And Ron Moore and company are really playing with our heads - all the hatred for Gaeta and the mutineers (me included) because they made us care so much for the characters of Adama, Tigh, Roslin, Starbuck et al - but Gaeta and the others are RIGHT! The cylons are a bunch of genocidal murdering bastards, and they want to ally with them? They destroyed their home, killed millions of people, slaughtered loved ones, and now the humans are supposed to just join with them? Imagine the Jews, right after the holocaust, being told that they would have to ally with Nazis for the greater good. How would they feel? And with all that being said, I still want Starbuck to blow a tunnel thru Gaeta's head. Brilliant storytelling by the writers. I guess the question is do we judge people as individuals, or as groups? This is great stuff. Also, watch the eps on Hulu, and there are no promos for the next ep. Can't hardly wait!
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
Old February 1 2009, 02:01 AM   #160
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Some impressions:

Edward James Olmos ROCKS!!!

Poor Laird. I guess Zarek is gonna die for this. The writers really set him up as a very hateable character in that scene.

Some deeper interpretations:

This whole mutiny is a pretty pointless act of violence and this is probably also the writers' intent: The mutineers kill their comrades, because these comrades don't wanna kill Cylons anymore. That's all what it is about.

And they're not really acting rationally either. As far as we know, neither Saul Tigh nor Sam Anders had anything to do with the Cylon attack on the Colonies. At least the principle "innocent until proven guilty" should apply here. But the mutineers don't care about that. Because they're Cylons. It doesn't really matter to a mutineer whether a Cylon has actually committed a crime. It's racism, plain and simple.

Evil Cylons = terrorists; "Good" Cylons (in particular the Final Five) = all other Muslims; Mutineers = People who think that all Muslims are terrorists?

It also reminds of some of the really messed up conflicts like the Middle East. Even if moderates on both sides would agree on a truce, the extremists on both sides would consider their own people traitors. Yitzhak Rabin was killed by an Israli after all. They're the enemy. You can't make peace with the enemy. If you make peace with the enemy, you become the enemy. This is what happens when you fight a war for too long and/or when too many people have died in this war.
Old February 1 2009, 03:09 AM   #161
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

The small scale action oriented episode since Valley of Darkness. It reminded me of that one in alot of ways.... but my how things have changed since then. Totally gripping episode, and what's great is that I symphathize with both sides and feel anger towards both sides as well.
Old February 1 2009, 05:52 AM   #162
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Awe-strikingly incredible! Excellent all the way. It is really fascinating to see everywhere that Gaeta has been in this series... to being one of Adama's top men to being Baltar's top buddy during the occupation to the bitter CIC man to the rebellion leader. Nice to see Roslin finally doing something again! Well, something other than being useless and "living again". Incredible acting by all parties and highly entertaining. This is the first episode of any series where I sat through the entire episode with my mouth hanging wide open and my hand over my mouth. It was a shocking episode to say the least...
And then the promo...

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old February 1 2009, 06:19 AM   #163
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
As much as I hate to admit it about a damn tv show, this ep was so intense I was actually shaking by the time it was over. And Ron Moore and company are really playing with our heads - all the hatred for Gaeta and the mutineers (me included) because they made us care so much for the characters of Adama, Tigh, Roslin, Starbuck et al - but Gaeta and the others are RIGHT! The cylons are a bunch of genocidal murdering bastards, and they want to ally with them? They destroyed their home, killed millions of people, slaughtered loved ones, and now the humans are supposed to just join with them? Imagine the Jews, right after the holocaust, being told that they would have to ally with Nazis for the greater good. How would they feel?
They are right, but the ends never justify the means.

Excellent episode.
Old February 1 2009, 07:28 AM   #164
Tombfyre
Lieutenant Commander

I.... thought it was average. We've seen rebellion before on this show.... now its back! I can say i'm watching now to see what they do to end it. But to be honest, i'm sick of the pure negativity streaming from the show.

I want star trek back ... lol.
Old February 1 2009, 07:36 AM   #165
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Just saw this week's show.

Frak.

This is what I watch BSG for.

I want star trek back ... lol.
Me too. But I can also appreciate how BSG's approach is also compelling and valuable. Apples and oranges.

And Ron Moore and company are really playing with our heads - all the hatred for Gaeta and the mutineers (me included) because they made us care so much for the characters of Adama, Tigh, Roslin, Starbuck et al - but Gaeta and the others are RIGHT! The cylons are a bunch of genocidal murdering bastards, and they want to ally with them?
Yup, it's hard to condemn Gaeta. But it's also painful knowing that the Colonials have no clear way of realizing that Tigh, Tyrol, Anders and (as far as anyone knows) Tory are not guilty of anything. As for the rest of the Cylons, frak it, they could airlock em all and I wouldn't cry about it.

I was supprised that Gaeta has so much support, I can understand some of them like Seelix and the Pegasus lot but was shocked to see Racetrack involved. Talk about no loyalty.
Are you kidding, most people would side with Gaeta. Adama and Roslin have led the fleet to a dead end. People are angry and looking for someone to blame. And I've been amazed at the degree of tolerance shown by the humans of the fleet for any alliance with murdering genocidal Cylons. They must have figured they were about to reach the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and set all else aside. Now that the pot of gold has turned out to be a mirage, they are feeling unsurprisingly ornery about the whole thing.
And they're not really acting rationally either. As far as we know, neither Saul Tigh nor Sam Anders had anything to do with the Cylon attack on the Colonies.
Or Tyrol or Tory - none of the four are guilty of anything as far as anyone knows. Remember, only the audience knows about Tory's guilt in murdering Cally so far. But from the humans' perspective, why can't there be multiple copies of the final five? Why can't they have also participated in the genocide? Ideally, you could sort through the Cylons and figure out who was guilty and who was not - even some of the other seven might be individually innocent - but does anyone really have the patience for that at this point?

In thinking about all the major characters, I realized that the only truly blameless ones have been Dee, and she's dead, and poor Anders. I doubt being more innocent of wrongdoing than most folks in the fleet, Cylon or otherwise, will save his skin.
Evil Cylons = terrorists; "Good" Cylons (in particular the Final Five) = all other Muslims; Mutineers = People who think that all Muslims are terrorists?
It's much easier for us to see such things than for the Colonials to realize that some Cylons are not the same as other Cylons. So the parallel doesn't really hold true; the Colonials can't really be blamed for behaving as they are.

Even tho I'm dreading next week because Sam's one of my favorite characters.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 1 2009 at 07:57 AM.