The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 31 2009, 04:15 AM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams On Making The Most Entertaining Movie Possible

^Agreed.
Old February 1 2009, 01:15 AM   #17
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm excited about this movie, and I hope that J.J. has really set the bar high.
The only downside? It's still 4 1/2 months away....aaaarrrgh!
It's really just a little over 3 months away!
But I want it now!

J.
we should pull something like in that South Park episode where they snuck into the George Lucas compound and stole the original movie prints. We need to break in and force them to give us a private screening.

Then we can tell them where to digitally edit out phasers and put in walkie talkies and ewoks.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Old February 2 2009, 03:35 AM   #18
Ptrope
Agitator

Wow, J.J. Abrams is truly the master of doublespeak ...
Old February 2 2009, 04:13 AM   #19
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Wow, J.J. Abrams is truly the master of doublespeak ...
How so?
Old February 2 2009, 04:34 AM   #20
Scorned
Lieutenant Commander

It seems funny that there is a divide about this article. I have found Abrams and co to be doing a lot of "hot air" blowing lately. Abrams has gone from "a fan to a non fan to an admirer". I am sorry but he already admitted he was not a fan of Trek at all. The last time we heard the person doing a Trek movie that said that gave us Nemesis. Sorry but these contradicting interviews with a complete "Rick Berman" style of nonsense need to stop.
Old February 2 2009, 04:40 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Scorned wrote: View Post
It seems funny that there is a divide about this article. I have found Abrams and co to be doing a lot of "hot air" blowing lately. Abrams has gone from "a fan to a non fan to an admirer". I am sorry but he already admitted he was not a fan of Trek at all. The last time we heard the person doing a Trek movie that said that gave us Nemesis. Sorry but these contradicting interviews with a complete "Rick Berman" style of nonsense need to stop.

Actually, they don't. They're not contradictory, and they're not confusing people who are paying attention at all.
Old February 2 2009, 05:10 AM   #22
Ptrope
Agitator

"The characters was the most important thing in it. We needed to be true to the spirit of those characters" - "The phasers, the communicators, the Starfleet logo, there are all these things that are the touchstones, the tenets of what makes 'Star Trek' 'Star Trek.' If you're going to do this series those are things you don't mess with."

--

"You can't look backward and try to make sure that every decision you're making is true to the past. That's not to say that we weren't true to the past, but that wasn't our guiding principle." - "And yet, the movie at its core is not only inspired by what has come before, it's deeply true to what's come before."

--

Okay, J.J., which was it? Were you "deeply true" or was "being true not our guiding principle?" Were the characters the most important thing, or was it the Starfleet logo (I can't even believe anyone would think that!)? J.J. and Paramount can't seem to figure out if they are rebooting everything to clear out the old debris, or if they're being true to the history of Trek, which they seem to believe is important only to an audience that neither believe is relevant to the film's success.

For God's sake, grow some balls, guys! Make a decision and stand behind it!
Old February 2 2009, 05:16 AM   #23
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Wow, people are really good at taking his statements
and twisting them to fit their nightmares.
Old February 2 2009, 05:27 AM   #24
Ptrope
Agitator

No more than the people who take his statements and expect their dreams to be fulfilled. This movie gets no less praise than criticism - more, in fact - and yet it's no less an unknown quantity to those who insist it'll be better than sliced bread.

It's hard to "twist" his words when, in many of his interviews, he explicitly straddles the fence. Nothing wrong with being skeptical - after all, I don't 'have to have Star Trek' regardless of whether it's good, bad or unrecognizable. Which I guess means I'm definitely not the target audience.
Old February 2 2009, 05:29 AM   #25
Scorned
Lieutenant Commander

Agreed.
Old February 2 2009, 05:31 AM   #26
Scorned
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:"Actually, they don't. They're not contradictory, and they're not confusing people who are paying attention at all."

How so? I am sorry but you have now saying he "admires" Trek and just a few weeks ago he said "I am not a fan of Trek". Either you like it or not. Every time I hear Abrams speak I get the sense of "Green Eggs and Ham". This guy is speaking more like Rick Berman with each passing time.
Old February 2 2009, 05:37 AM   #27
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

It get's alot of praise from those who are, like the poster said, actually paying attention.
Old February 2 2009, 05:49 AM   #28
Scorned
Lieutenant Commander

Yes paying attention to interview #1 where he says "I am not a fan". Then you go to interview #2 weeks later and he says "I admirer Trek". Another example was "We are trying to figure a way to get Shatner in the movie". Then you have an interview later on that says "it was impossible to add him (add some lame excuse) and therefore we didn't try". Well then why did you say you were trying to figure it out?

Sorry but the guy is all over the place. Just like the other person said "Make a decision and stick with it".
Old February 2 2009, 05:50 AM   #29
trekkerguy
Commodore

You're changing what he actually says so it will fit your argument.
Old February 2 2009, 06:19 AM   #30
Scorned
Lieutenant Commander

I have to disagree and wonder how you come up with that. I am taking quotes from him. So I am not twisting anything. If anything you are merely ignoring the contradictions.

You are a fan of Star Trek. It is a pretty easy question to answer when someone asks you "hey are you a fan of Trek". Now if you say "no" to person one then a few weeks later you say "i admire it". That is a contradiction. It is NOT a difficult question to answer with a consistent answer. He is all over the place when it comes to interviews now. He should either get his shit together or don't do any more interviews that have him saying "apples" to one and then "oranges" to another. Like the other guy said "stick with 1 answer".