Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 24 2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Now that its all over... have you changed your mind about the coup?

I have always liked Gaeta a lot, from the Mini all the way until he became a traitor at which point in time I became quite disappointed with him.

But now that its over and I have seen how the Colonials ended up under Bill and Lee... I'm reconsidering Gaeta and the coup. Hind sight is always 20/20, but given what I know now, I think Gaeta was right in truing to get rid of the Adamas.
Old March 24 2009, 03:45 AM   #2
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Now that its all over... have you changed your mind about the coup

Actually what RDM said in the podcast, Zarek was going to be the colonial version of Robespeire, from the French Revolution, and was going to unleash a Reign of Terror in the fleet.

-Chris
Old March 24 2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Nah, knowing what Gaeta did (and not all the stuff the audience got to see), I'd have sided with Gaeta. It turned out okay only because of a lot of unforseeable coincidences/God deciding to be a nice guy for a change.

Starbuck could have jumped them smack into a star. Cavil could have decided to annihilate his enemies after the peace deal went sour instead of conveniently eating a bullet, or he could have not opted for the peace deal in the first place (how did getting resurrection technology solve his core issue that he is mad at humans because he hates looking like a human?) Boomer could have not conveniently decided to give Hera back to the Colonials and the rescue attempt would have failed. They just got lucky.
Actually what RDM said in the podcast, Zarek was going to be the colonial version of Robespeire, from the French Revolution, and was going to unleash a Reign of Terror in the fleet.
Sounds like our Zarek all right. But hey, some people would have survived, which beats Adama's leadership, which was looking very likely to get them all killed and would have gotten them all killed except for all that dumb luck they ran into at the end...God sending angels to guide them and whatnot.
Old March 24 2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

20/20 hindsight never works. Not even in fiction.

I don't care what his reasons were. Gaeta was a traitor and a mutineer and deserved his fate. As did Zarek, who compounded Gaeta's sins by adding some of his own, such as cold blooded murder. Those two got what was coming to them. The human race was better off without those wastes of protoplasm.

Besides, Adama is always right anyway.
Old March 24 2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Gregsmack
Captain

Gaeta's actions were wrong, both ethically and practically. He was completely prepared to break up the fleet and abandon those not sympathetic to his 'movement'. Not to mention, although Adama and Roslin led the fleet to a wasteland, they still managed to keep the human race alive long enough to do so. They deserve some credit and loyalty for that, I think.

However, while Gaeta's actions were wrong, they were certainly understandable under the circumstances. I felt for the guy right up until the end.
Old March 24 2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

In hindsight, if Gaeta had been a little more patient he'd be alive and doing quite a bit better. Same with Zarek.

Everyone on that fleet was going to die, probably within months. There was nothing left. Finding our Earth is the only thing that saved them, and they all seem to have preferred that to death - after all, they freely chose to give up their ships.

Just because you didn't like the ending doesn't make a strong argument for letting all of them die.
Old March 24 2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Hmm... life under Zarek & still trapped in a cramped little ship vs. building a new life on a beautiful & thriving planet?

I'll have to get back to you.

Last edited by Kelso; March 24 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old March 24 2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

When you put it in those terms, I'd choose Lee's proposal in a minute. And I'm allergic to lots of plants.

Seriously, has not one of all the folk arguing that the Colonials would make good use of their high technology noticed what kind of worlds they built with it, and where it all led?

These people were already so ambivalent about what they'd stumbled into - war with their machines - that they had backed off from their most advanced tech for half a century - something we've not seen on this planet - and that was before the reinstitution of it led to their Robot Holocaust.

It's not at all hard to believe that those folks would vote to do away with it all. They were already primed for it.

I thought the solution was a little convenient when I watched the show on Friday, but the more I've read of the arguments against what the Colonials did - one poster thinks they should have used the Centurions as labor! - the more convinced I am that they did the smart and, for them, more plausible thing.
Old March 24 2009, 04:55 AM   #9
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

No... it was always a morally ambiguous situation. They had righteous ideals, but stooped to evil to try to bring them about.
Old March 24 2009, 05:02 AM   #10
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

The algae wouldn't have lasted forever. Finding new Earth was the best thing that could happen to them. Also remember that Chief found out that the ship was falling apart. Gaeta would have probably had him shot and jumped the ship till it ripped itself to pieces, dooming the human race.
Old March 24 2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Jayson
Vice Admiral

Let's not forget that Galatica was going to be useless whether her or Adama was in command. Eventually he and those who followed would have to leave the ship only it wouldn't be to a planet to start over or even to a Basestar that could defend the fleet if cavil attacked. It would abunch of civilian ships flying around with nowhere to go and basically sitting ducks when Cavil and his people find them.

Jason
Old March 24 2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Bisz wrote: View Post
I have always liked Gaeta a lot, from the Mini all the way until he became a traitor at which point in time I became quite disappointed with him.

But now that its over and I have seen how the Colonials ended up under Bill and Lee... I'm reconsidering Gaeta and the coup. Hind sight is always 20/20, but given what I know now, I think Gaeta was right in truing to get rid of the Adamas.
Let me tell you what would have happened.

He would have gotten rid of the basestar. Athena, Caprica and maybe some more Cylons would have been raped continously for god knows how long before getting killed.

Galactica would still have died due to what she'd gone trough, and the fleet would have been completely defenseless.

There also wouldn't have been another earth.

In the end, mankind would've quietly faded out of existence in the cold nothingness of space.

So, no. I still think, Gaeta was a naive fool.
Old March 24 2009, 01:40 PM   #13
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
No... it was always a morally ambiguous situation. They had righteous ideals, but stooped to evil to try to bring them about.
How righteous were their ideals really, lets look at it: -

1. Easy one first - Zarek - WANTED POWER, the end, did not care how he got it but this was always his plan. This is what makes him an interesting character as for all his (in theory) good motivations he was a power-hungry zealot who used causes to push himself forwards. He also did not have the moral standing to do anything but question his motives. He murdered his colleagues in cold blood. Zarek was little more by the end than a murderer.

2. OK, a little tougher, Gaeta, because it is hard not to feel sorry for poor old Felix. However let us remember what he did: -
a) Organised a mutiny in violation of his oath against his CO.
b) Caused the deaths of 50-odd Galactica crew with many more wounded.
c) Was an accessory to the murder of the government.
d) Tried to murder the President.
And why?
Because "We fought the Cylons for ages and now they want to be our friends and we won't tell them to get lost..."
You can understand it, but it's wrong, so very wrong. The chase cannot continue forever, there has to be peace one day and eventually you have to put aside your personal feelings for the greater good.
Old March 24 2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Bisz wrote: View Post

Let me tell you what would have happened.

He would have gotten rid of the basestar. Athena, Caprica and maybe some more Cylons would have been raped continously for god knows how long before getting killed.

Galactica would still have died due to what she'd gone trough, and the fleet would have been completely defenseless.

There also wouldn't have been another earth.

In the end, mankind would've quietly faded out of existence in the cold nothingness of space.

So, no. I still think, Gaeta was a naive fool.
But they wouldn't have had to give up their technology! Nothing else matters!
Old March 24 2009, 03:33 PM   #15
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
But they wouldn't have had to give up their technology! Nothing else matters!
In all fairness a lot of people on here are probably incredibly wedded to their technology - after all we all rate TV shows as imprtant, probably invest a lot in Gadgets and DVDs, and are all on Computers enough to spend time talking about Sci-Fi on the Internet!

So all told it does not surprise me so many people here are anti the idea of giving up technology. The fact that most seem to have missed the point entirely and think the episode was actually saying technology is bad is another matter though.