Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 28 2009, 05:03 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Roddenberrys Headed To Space

The remains of Gene Roddenberry and his wife Majel Barrett-Roddenberry will be sent together into space next year.

As reported by Yahoo! News, the creator of Star Trek and his wife will be sent into space next year courtesy of Celestic Inc., a company that specializes in "memorial spaceflights."

The remains will be sealed into specially made capsules designed to withstand the rigors of space travel. These capsules will be sent along with digitized tributes from Star Trek fans. The spacecraft and remains will travel into space and are not expected to return to earth, according to a company spokesperson.

Barrett-Roddenberry commissioned Celestic to launch part of her husband's remains into space in 1997. Gene Roddenberry passed away in 1991 and his wife followed last December.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old January 28 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76
Re: Roddenberrys Headed To Space

I read this a few days ago on the AP news. and its definately very fitting for them to spend the rest of eterninty traveling deeper and deeper into the vast unknown reaches of the universe.
TrekToday wrote: View Post
The remains of <font color=yellow>Gene Roddenberry</font> and his wife <font color=yellow>Majel Barrett-Roddenberry</font> will be sent together into space next year.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://news.yahoo.com">Yahoo! News</A>, the creator of <i>Star Trek</i> and his wife will be sent into space next year courtesy of Celestic Inc., a company that specializes in "memorial spaceflights."<p>The remains will be sealed into specially made capsules designed to withstand the rigors of space travel. These capsules will be sent along with digitized tributes from <i>Star Trek</i> fans. The spacecraft and remains will travel into space and are not expected to return to earth, according to a company spokesperson.<p>Barrett-Roddenberry commissioned Celestic to launch part of her husband's remains into space in 1997. Gene Roddenberry passed away in 1991 and his wife followed last December.<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_en_tv/people_roddenberry">here</A>.<center></center>
Old January 28 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
btflash
Captain

i had read some time ago that roddenberrys ashs had already been launched into space. back in 1997 i think.what gives?
Old January 28 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

They don't send all of the ashes at once.

I'm a bit dubious about the claim that they won't return to earth. Most rocket trajectories don't reach escape velocity.
Old January 28 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
btflash
Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
They don't send all of the ashes at once.

I'm a bit dubious about the claim that they won't return to earth. Most rocket trajectories don't reach escape velocity.
oh good. then i guess they still have some of james doohans ashs here on earth as well. so they will still be able to launch him into space again since the rocket carrying his ashs exploded.
Old January 28 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I don't know if that's the case or not, I recall something about that having been the second or third attempt for him.