Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 22 2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

How many regular Marvel titles are $3.99 now?

I visited my local comics shop yesterday and spent $25.26. I bought Wildstorm's The X-Files #3 ($3.50), Star Trek Countdown #1 ($3.99), Superman/Batman Annual #3 ($3.99) and four regular DC titles for $2.99 apiece. I was going to buy the latest Mighty Avengers (the first issue in the Dark Reign storyline) but changed my mind when I saw that it was $3.99.

Is $3.99 the new standard price for all regular Marvel books? I don't mind paying over $2.99 for specials, annuals or mini-series, but I'm reluctant to support regular Marvel monthlies for $3.99. I hope DC doesn't get any ideas about going to $3.99 for Justice League of America or any of their regular titles.

I don't plan to miss the Dark Reign stories. I'll buy the expected trade edition when it comes out this year.
Old January 22 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Re: How many regular Marvel titles are $3.99 now?

I refuse to buy any Marvel titles for $3.99. That is such a big increase. It would push me back to the TPB market.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

Prices are ridiculous. Once Final Crisis #7 comes out I'm getting out of the issues game and I'll just get the trades. Hell, I can read them and sell them right back on Amazon Marketplace and only loose $4 or so, even the hardcovers.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Its getting crazy, and then they wonder why 'readership is down' well DUHHHHHH... I remember getting ticked off when they raised the prices from an average of $1.50 an issue. I mean $4??! For a 20 something page floppy? That's just stupid, and then Marvel and/or DC will complain that 'so few people are buying now'.

I think they need to either a) lower the prices to something more reasonable - even $2.50 - and then get back into the mass market releases. Make it up on volume. There's no reason why most grocery stores or big box stores shouldn't have a spinner rack or little 2-4 foot section in the magazine or book section. OR b) Start releasing 'digests' essentially 2-3 issue 'books' they can sell for like $7.99 or something that at least make you feel like you're getting more for your money. Think of how much easier Secret Invasion or Civil War would have been to follow if they had essentially all that week's/month's tie in issues in a couple of digests that you could pick up and get the whole story.

Not like people are buying comics as investments anyway. And honestly the Marvel online comics aren't really a true replacement.

I can forsee Marvel and DC going the Magna route and simply releasing TPBs.
Nick Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Marvel is now over 50% at 3.99.

DC, by comparison, is at 12%.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

$3.99!!

Glad I stopped buying comix 'bout decade'go or so I reckon.

$3.99!!

I remember when comix went from 0.75c to a buck, & then, from a buck to a buck & a quarter

Then, this buck-fifty, buck-75, finally Buck Rodgers kid

Now

Way things are going with comix prices you'll have to have your bank verify who you are & have at least 1 valid active credit card to buy them.

To quote Dr. Zachary Smith: “Oh, the pain

Marvel Yeah Marvel!

They can Marvel this:

PS:How much are these DC comics on average?
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 09:59 PM   #7
TemporalFlux
Commodore

It's sad but funny. Marvel keeps raising prices to make up for lost readership, and the raised prices cause readers to stop buying; so Marvel raises prices to make up for the lost readership, etc. The comic industry has literally been cannibalizing itself for the past 15 years or so.

I started collecting in 1978, and I stopped buying comics about 8 or 9 months ago. It was finally too much for me.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Technobuilder
Commodore

I like the concept of 'Major Storyline' Comic Digests especially if it's a crossover event.

If they don't figure out a way to give you more bang for your buck, soon there won't be anyone left to buy anything.

No wonder kids don't get into comics anymore, they can't afford it.

Hell, I can't afford it.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
grabmygoblin
Commodore

if you can stand the interface, marvel has begun to digitize comics... although I'm too broke to subscribe at the moment, so I can't tell you what issues are available, and I've read a great deal of complaints about the program.

I do think though that it and TPBs will be the way comics will be published in the future.
Old January 22 2009, 11:51 PM   #10
TemporalFlux
Commodore

grabmygoblin wrote: View Post
if you can stand the interface, marvel has begun to digitize comics...
The problem I have with it is that there's no sense of ownership; as soon as you stop paying the monthly fee, it's like you spent your money on nothing. Even worse that that, you can't read the comics unless you have an internet connection; so unless you've sprung for internet service on your cell phone, you can forget being able to read them in a car on a trip (and even then it would probably be painful due to load times). That doesn't even get into times when the internet is down...isn't that generally when you would want something else to do like reading a comic??

The whole thing is a simple formula; Apple figured it out. If you make ownership available at a reasonable price, most people will pay for it in lieu of stealing it. 99 cents a song or a reduced price for a album; it works. The same thing is what will work for comics; the restrictive monthly fee approach just won't cut it (and I think that's part of Marvel's thinking - they don't want to make online stuff too attractive while they've still got people blowing 4 bucks a pop on paper as a better alternative).
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

For Marvel ongoings, it's New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Punisher: Frank Castle MAX, Thor, Spider-Woman and Hulk. The first issues of the new volumes of Exiles and Fantastic Force (both in April) are extra-length, so I'm sure they'll be down to 2.99 by issue 2.

I'm betting on increased prices on Astonishing X-Men, Wolverine and Captain America within the next six months, followed by Mighty Avengers, Avengers: The Initiative, Invincible Iron Man and various other X-books by the end of 2009. By mid-2010, all Marvel books will be 4 bucks.

I'm also predicting the cancellations of Eternals and Moon Knight within the next few months. Captain Britain will last longer due to it being the top-selling ongoing in the UK, but it probably will max out around 25, 30 issues tops. Which is upsetting, as I love both Eternals and CB.
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 02:54 AM   #12
Immolatus
Captain

$3.99 holy sh!t!!! I remember when comics were 50cents. and I had a fit when they went to 60 cents. Back then you could get a comic at the local candy store. What a shame and sham
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 03:03 AM   #13
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Aquehonga wrote: View Post
$3.99!!

Glad I stopped buying comix 'bout decade'go or so I reckon.

$3.99!!

I remember when comix went from 0.75c to a buck, & then, from a buck to a buck & a quarter

Then, this buck-fifty, buck-75, finally Buck Rodgers kid

Now

Way things are going with comix prices you'll have to have your bank verify who you are & have at least 1 valid active credit card to buy them.

To quote Dr. Zachary Smith: “Oh, the pain

Marvel Yeah Marvel!

They can Marvel this:

PS:How much are these DC comics on average?
I remember paying 35 cents for marvel comics back in the late 70's. Well, actually my parents paid for them.
Old January 23 2009, 05:34 AM   #14
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Comic books are too expensive, and their story content per issue has plummeted now that stories are paced more slowly, in alignment with their eventual republication as trade paperbacks. I remember when it felt like a story would actually progress somewhat within a single issue. Now a single comic book is little more than a soap opera episode on paper.
Old January 23 2009, 05:57 AM   #15
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Thankfully DC and Dark Horse haven't done this yet. Why not just move to 3.50 first instead of going right to 3.99?