TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 4 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

I'm wonderin if someone could whip me up a logo for my website.

I have a model building website and I was wondering if someone could make me a logo for it. I'm good at models but I have no skills using drawing software.

It's called Las Vegas Shipyards Models and I wanted the logo to be like those patches and logos for Trek Shipyards (utopia, Antares, Defiant Development Team, etc.) but unique to Las Vegas.

Thanks in advance.
CaptainHawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 11:41 PM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: I'm wonderin if someone could whip me up a logo for my website.

Maybe have the old "neon cowboy" on it?
Old March 5 2009, 12:15 AM   #3
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
Maybe have the old "neon cowboy" on it?
That's not bad but I was thinking something that would be as recognized in the 24th Century as it is today like the GG Bridge in San Francisco. I'm thinking that the Cowboy would be long gone by the 24th Century.

Still, it's something to consider. Thanks for that.

So yeah, I'd even like ideas from anyone who's got one.
Old March 5 2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Oh, not necessarily. I'm sure there will be preservation societies that take it to task to preserve such icons of Vega$ like the neon cowboy or the classic Welcome to Las Vegas sign.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 03:07 AM   #5
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old March 5 2009, 04:36 AM   #6
Albertese
Commodore

Certainly. If there's still a golden Gate bridge in the 24th Century, as well as an Eiffel tower, and a Transamerica building, why shouldn't there also be a Statue of Liberty, a Space Needle, and a Neon Cowboy? If DS9's late season holosuite programs are to be believed, mid-20th Century Vegas is still a popular thing by the 2370's or so...

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 09:36 AM   #7
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
Certainly. If there's still a golden Gate bridge in the 24th Century, as well as an Eiffel tower, and a Transamerica building, why shouldn't there also be a Statue of Liberty, a Space Needle, and a Neon Cowboy? If DS9's late season holosuite programs are to be believed, mid-20th Century Vegas is still a popular thing by the 2370's or so...

--Alex
The difference is that in Las Vegas, nothing stays the same. Reosrts are put up, rseorts are torn down. I'm actually surprised that those Fremont St. standards ahve rmained for as long as they have.

Still, I'm warming up to the idea.
Old March 5 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Here's something I whipped up tonight. Let me know if it works for you. I can try to find a higher res. pic of the sign if you need a higher res logo.

Old March 5 2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

It occurs to me that the way the star is oriented on the sign maybe you could have an overhead view of the Enterprise or some other ship as if the sign pylons are the warp trail.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2009, 10:20 PM   #10
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Here's something I whipped up tonight. Let me know if it works for you. I can try to find a higher res. pic of the sign if you need a higher res logo.

That is beautiful... I love it! Thank you so much!

I was thinking thought about either having a navy starlit background in the circle in the center or a skyline of Vegas at late dusk with the lights of the city illuminating the mountains.

I'm going to see what I can find as far as that is concerned, but I am so incredibly grateful that you did this for me!
Old March 5 2009, 11:07 PM   #11
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

Changed my mind... There's not enough room for a skyline so I'm thinking a picture of space, perhaps from Hubble. I'm looking into it.
Old March 6 2009, 01:54 AM   #12
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

No problem. I might actually recreate and vectorize the sign to make putting something in the background. I also have an idea incorporating Eric Cheung's idea to make the posts of the sign into the warp streaks.
Old March 6 2009, 03:46 AM   #13
Albertese
Commodore

CaptainHawk1 wrote: View Post
Changed my mind... There's not enough room for a skyline so I'm thinking a picture of space, perhaps from Hubble. I'm looking into it.
Hubble pictures are often very beautiful. They are extraordinary decorative images, but they are not graphical images. Usually photogpraphic elements in a n image like this are distracting and destroy the unified feel of the piece.

--Alex
Old March 6 2009, 05:43 AM   #14
CaptainHawk1
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
CaptainHawk1 wrote: View Post
Hubble pictures are often very beautiful. They are extraordinary decorative images, but they are not graphical images. Usually photogpraphic elements in a n image like this are distracting and destroy the unified feel of the piece.

--Alex
I hear what you're saying but what I'm thinking of is the more simple ones.

SOmething like this:

Do you think that images like these would be too distracting?

If so I can just go for a plain starfield.

BTW, that url is emdeded in the images.

Thanks agian guys, this is great.
Old March 6 2009, 06:40 AM   #15
Albertese
Commodore

Well, for my money, yes. They are distracting. The shift from smooth, clean, even flat colors or even gradients in what amounts to vector art are a sharp contrast to the naturalistic yet "noisy" image of actual space. A graphic is really much more a drawing than a photo. You can tell how much Flux Capacitor has cleaned up the image of the "Welcome" sign. But even so, I feel it still needs a bit more, as you can see a lot of weathering in the circles each letter of "welcome" is held in. In a perfect world, the sign ought to be traced in a vector art program and rendered as a smooth clean graphic. Even the Enterprise itself here ought to be a graphical drawing as opposed to a fully rendered image. Think of it this way: how expensive would it be to silk screen this image?

As for a starfield background, I recommend a black or dark blue field populated with a random scatter of a few diameters of smallish white circles.

And remember, just cause I'm against the use of photos in this context, doesn't mean I have the only valid opinion. Do you own thing if you think it'd be more to your own liking.

--Alex