RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,687
Posts: 5,840,775
Members: 26,176
Currently online: 492
Newest member: Mr. Nova

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Merchandise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Shatner Writing Book About Friendship With Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 1 2009, 04:48 PM   #46
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
From KryptonSite: The Toyman!

Ha, it's Vincent from Eureka. Hmmm, I recall him appearing on Smallville before. As some LuthorCorp lab tech. I guess the Vancouver actor pool really isn't that large after all.
He's pretty large...

Seems like a decent updating, have to see how this progresses.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 05:27 PM   #47
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

[quote=Broccoli;2545767]
Christopher wrote: View Post
Bringing him on Smallville will probably make fans happy and might draw in some L&C fans to check out Smallville.

Honestly, I doubt that SMALLVILLE'S teen audience has even heard of LOIS & CLARK . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 08:11 PM   #48
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Kryton wrote: View Post
Didn't Schott kill Cat Grant's kid back in the day?
Yep.

Until the retcon came and it was revealed that it was really a robot (that went rogue, of course) that the real Toyman made in case he was captured.

I know I might be in the minority, but I actually liked that version of the character. Mostly because it took what was previous a somewhat silly character and gave him a much more serious tone.
Not to mention they did an arc after that in which Cat almost killed him for killing her son, but chose not to do so. I believe Super-Man was standing by, but made no attempt to stop her; he would, of course, had acted to save Winslow's life had she actually fired the gun.

The retcon was somewhat stupid, IMO, even though it was written by Johns; it had every version of Toyman (including Hiro) be a robot created by him. That's what I took away from it, anyway, which doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I don't see why they felt the need to "redeem" Toyman by retconning the "killer" aspect, as I believe they used it to good effect until he died, IIRC, trying to save some children he had kidnapped.
__________________
"We childproofed our homes, but they are still getting in..."
Capt_Piett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 11:06 PM   #49
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Bringing him on Smallville will probably make fans happy and might draw in some L&C fans to check out Smallville.

Honestly, I doubt that SMALLVILLE'S teen audience has even heard of LOIS & CLARK . . . .
By Fans, I meant Superman fans that are currently watching Smallville.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 02:37 AM   #50
Gojirob
Rear Admiral
 
Gojirob's Avatar
 
Location: Going Super Diclonius 4...
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

Capt_Piett wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Kryton wrote: View Post
Didn't Schott kill Cat Grant's kid back in the day?
Yep.

Until the retcon came and it was revealed that it was really a robot (that went rogue, of course) that the real Toyman made in case he was captured.

I know I might be in the minority, but I actually liked that version of the character. Mostly because it took what was previous a somewhat silly character and gave him a much more serious tone.
Not to mention they did an arc after that in which Cat almost killed him for killing her son, but chose not to do so. I believe Super-Man was standing by, but made no attempt to stop her; he would, of course, had acted to save Winslow's life had she actually fired the gun.

The retcon was somewhat stupid, IMO, even though it was written by Johns; it had every version of Toyman (including Hiro) be a robot created by him. That's what I took away from it, anyway, which doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I don't see why they felt the need to "redeem" Toyman by retconning the "killer" aspect, as I believe they used it to good effect until he died, IIRC, trying to save some children he had kidnapped.
My only problem with the child-killing Toyman from a practical standpoint was that it puts Superman in the Joker dilemma. Here is a villain guaranteed to kill innocents and basically guaranteed to escape any attempts at incarceration and like as not to laugh off all but the most draconian attempts at rehab. We know Superman can't kill him, and to be true to his new motif, eventually, kids must die at his hands. An unresolvable loop of pain and posters wondering 'WTF doesn't he kill/maim/lobotomize Toyman?'
__________________
The Go-To For Accurate, Thorough Information about the dark, wonderful series called Elfen Lied, both manga and anime : http://elfen-lied.wikia.com/wiki/Elfen_Lied_Wiki
Gojirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 11:05 PM   #51
Kryton
Admiral
 
Kryton's Avatar
 
Location: In ur Starbug
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

The same actor appears in Stargate: The Ark of Truth. I bet if I moved to Vancouver I could get some significant character actor work.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 12:39 AM   #52
Roshi
Vice Admiral
 
Roshi's Avatar
 
Location: Dans ton cul... Cherche bien.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi
Re: Classic Superman villain to appear on Smallville *SPOILERS*

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
I guess the Vancouver actor pool really isn't that large after all.
Obviously you don't remember the 4 first seasons of The X-Files!
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
smallville, villain

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.