Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old December 18 2008, 01:00 PM   #1
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Could TATV have been good?

Hmm off to a good start - I've missed a word out of the thread title

If Enterprise had gone seven seasons, and These Are The Voyages was used as a filler episode or a Very Special Episode, would it have been easier to stomach?

As a series finale, it's a pretty poor story, and if it had been shown as originally intended - as a season finale - I'm still not sure it would've worked.

If they'd held onto it, and used the basic premise (i.e. the future generations look to how Enterprise did things) to celebrate the TNG era's 20th anniversary, or the franchise's 40th anniversary, in one of the later seasons, could it have worked? Obviously certain plot points would have to be changed - the ship wouldn't be being mothballed, there (probably) wouldn't be an upcoming speech for the formation of the Federation, Trip couldn't have died and the link to The Pegasus could be removed.

Assuming they came up with an intelligent or blelievable way of introducing characters from the various shows (even if it was still set on a holodeck, á la VOY's Living Witness maybe), I think it could've worked and could possibly have been looked on as a favourite. As it was, the execution was all wrong and it only served to earn fandom's wrath for all eternity

So, in this parallel universe where Enterprise never got cancelled, and Travis got lines every week, do you think TATV is being heralded as a good episode, or was it always destined to fail?

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; December 18 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarifying thread title
jongredic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Could TATV been good?

I think if TATV had in some way tied into Riker's decision to finally accept a promotion and leave the Enterprise, and had dealt with the question of change, then yes, it could have been pretty good.

As it is, I don't hate it. There are actually some really nice scenes in there, though ultimately the main thrust of the story simply doesn't come together. Tying it into Pegasus simply didn't work. Overall, I think the basic premise (Riker looking back over some major historical event) was a good idea, but not well executed.

Last edited by USS Intrepid; December 18 2008 at 03:07 PM.
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

TATV has a conundrum going for it... it's completely incapable of being a series finale (as we already saw) yet it's too ambitious to be a standalone mid-season filler episode.

With that said, get rid of some of the more drastic moments (Tucker dying, for one), and reframe the episode in that, really, none of the main characters are there, and it could be good.

Heck, for that matter, I don't see how this episode could work without a major overhaul. The writers have every right to frame this as a TNG episode, sure, but what TATV ultimately is is a fanboy living his cosplay fantasies to solve a major life decision. Does anyone else find that really disturbing?

Worse yet, the episode is a sequel to a TNG episode that, while great, was already pretty obscure by the time TATV (or Broken Bow, for that matter) hit production. It was less of a love letter to the fans and more of the writers going, "Hey, we CAN do continuity!"

It could've been Riker and Troi doing a retrospective about the NX-01 (without being a dreaded clipshow), with the ultimate plot be about celebrating the show while simultaneously having it as, oh, I dunno, Federation Day (?), rather than having Riker use it to come clean about his conscience.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 01:53 PM   #4
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Could TATV have been good? Sure. If you watch it sideways while having screaming buttsex with some lovely gal, why not. However, you must take into notice that in that case pretty much everything turns out being quite watchable.
Old December 18 2008, 03:12 PM   #5
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
It could've been Riker and Troi doing a retrospective about the NX-01 (without being a dreaded clipshow), with the ultimate plot be about celebrating the show while simultaneously having it as, oh, I dunno, Federation Day (?), rather than having Riker use it to come clean about his conscience.
Yeah that could have worked. Although I think the TNG era of the story would have to involve some sort of dramatic angle, to keep it interesting. Though that shouldn't be the main thrust if the show.

Heck, maybe The Enterprise E is visiting some world that declined to join the Federation back in 2161 (Denobula maybe) and is going back to pick up were Archer's crew left off. Instead of having Riker viewing holodeck recreations, have him looking over old log entries or Archers, and use those to fade into the NX-01 era events.

Having one of the future crews following up on one of Archer's missions would have been a nice tie in, albeit not terribly original.
Old December 18 2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Could TATV have been good? Sure. If you watch it sideways while having screaming buttsex with some lovely gal, why not. However, you must take into notice that in that case pretty much everything turns out being quite watchable.
I imagine pretty much the same thing. I wasn't the one screaming, though.

It was good, it just sucked as the finale to a series. The fans of Enterprise didn't deserve to have the big series piss on us.
Old December 18 2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Yeah that could have worked. Although I think the TNG era of the story would have to involve some sort of dramatic angle, to keep it interesting. Though that shouldn't be the main thrust if the show.

Heck, maybe The Enterprise E is visiting some world that declined to join the Federation back in 2161 (Denobula maybe) and is going back to pick up were Archer's crew left off. Instead of having Riker viewing holodeck recreations, have him looking over old log entries or Archers, and use those to fade into the NX-01 era events.

Having one of the future crews following up on one of Archer's missions would have been a nice tie in, albeit not terribly original.
I suppose I still have memories of Voyager, where even the fun, lighthearted episodes or the episodes with reasons to celebrate, still had some sort of useless, meaningless firefight or unnecessarily dangerous situation as a tacked on "climax." If there was an episode that celebrated the NX-01 crew without having them as main characters, I'd certainly wouldn't want to go down that route

But with your idea, maybe it could be expanded upon with a bit more layering. Starfleet dispatches the TNG crew to (or the Titan crew!) to solve a mystery that the NX-01 crew from two centuries prior encountered, ultimately discovering why Archer erased/didn't record the final log for that particular mission and what the consequences were for that mission. It would have aspects of exploration and hindsight rolled into one.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I suppose I still have memories of Voyager, where even the fun, lighthearted episodes or the episodes with reasons to celebrate, still had some sort of useless, meaningless firefight or unnecessarily dangerous situation as a tacked on "climax." If there was an episode that celebrated the NX-01 crew without having them as main characters, I'd certainly wouldn't want to go down that route

But with your idea, maybe it could be expanded upon with a bit more layering. Starfleet dispatches the TNG crew to (or the Titan crew!) to solve a mystery that the NX-01 crew from two centuries prior encountered, ultimately discovering why Archer erased/didn't record the final log for that particular mission and what the consequences were for that mission. It would have aspects of exploration and hindsight rolled into one.
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. When I said a "dramatic angle" I wasn't referring to a firefight.
Old December 18 2008, 04:51 PM   #9
Mach5
Rear Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Instead of having Riker viewing holodeck recreations, have him looking over old log entries or Archers, and use those to fade into the NX-01 era events.
Excellent idea!

- Further more, I would have given TATV a "USS Titan" framing, so Frakes' and Sirtis' age wouldn't be an issue.
- The entire "Shran's daughter" nonsense would have been dropped (Hell, it would've never been written in the first place )
- Trip wouldn't commit suicide, he would either die a hero, or not at all.
- TnT's "Do you ever miss me" crap - a major NO NO.
Old December 18 2008, 11:05 PM   #10
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Could TATV have been good?

As a midseason/sweeps "stunt" episode to tie the Archer and Picard eras together? And without Trip dying...and in such a horridly stupid fashion?

Yes. But context and timing were so much with this episode. And the context and timing sank it.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 11:49 PM   #11
28VulcansLater
Captain

“Enterprise” definitely deserved a better conclusion. I wish they didn’t feel the need to have included a time shift element to the finale (trying to emulate “All Good Things” and “Endgame”) and just of had a good ending set after “Demons”/”Terra Prime”.
28VulcansLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'm not bitter about TATV. Non-canon though it may be, The Good That Men Do actually made it worthwhile.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 12:31 AM   #13
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I'm not bitter about TATV. Non-canon though it may be, The Good That Men Do actually made it worthwhile.
Praise your positive attitude!
As much as I enjoyed "The Good That Men Do," I would gladly throw it away if it meant erasing TATV from existence (But that's just me).
Old December 19 2008, 01:15 AM   #14
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Mach5 wrote: View Post
- Further more, I would have given TATV a "USS Titan" framing, so Frakes' and Sirtis' age wouldn't be an issue.
- The entire "Shran's daughter" nonsense would have been dropped (Hell, it would've never been written in the first place )
- Trip wouldn't commit suicide, he would either die a hero, or not at all.
- TnT's "Do you ever miss me" crap - a major NO NO.
Excellent points, I agree wholeheartedly. TATV definitely could have been good.
Old December 19 2008, 02:12 AM   #15
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I think that if the script for "These Are the Voyages..." would have been top notch then the episode really would have been a valentine to the fans as promised. I think that having a Star Trek character or two looking back at Enterprise is a great storytelling premise for a series finale. For one, it unites Enterprise with the rest of Trek-Lore; for two, it allows the writers to skip ahead through time and show us scenes they might not have ever gotten to in the course of seven production seasons; and for three, cross-over events are kind of a big deal.

I also agree with Mach 5's list of things that should be cut from the story to make it work. I'd like to point out why they suck so much.

Shran's Daughter/Space mobsters Plotline: This is character assasination on the part of Shran. Shran was filled with what I guess would be the Andorian equivelent of justice and I don't think that even having lost his ship and becoming grounded would have him deal with mobsters. Besides that, the whole thing was just uninspired, like the B-plot to a forgotten episode.

Trip's Death: It was probably the most contrived death in the history of Star Trek and Trip was a pretty popular character. If they absolutely had to kill Trip off they should have done it with grandeur.

No advancements/promotions: C'mon! If this is really the best crew in Starfleet these guys should get to go up at least a rung on the ladder. It makes it appear that nothing happened in the missing years. Promote Mayweather and Hoshi. Maybe give Reid an eyepatch. Even if a fifth season had followed it would have been fun plot points to look out for.