New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2009, 05:41 AM   #16
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Welling: Why no Superman?

In an interview on the Carson Daly show years ago Welling said that he would not appear in the Superman outfit at any time in the series (the closest that you'll get is the blue T-Shirt and red jacket). He said he has a veto power in his contract over what his character wears (which is also why he got away from the plaid designed shirts) after appearing with the glasses - albeit briefly - in Season 3 because his scenes in glasses didn't go well with the focus groups.
Old January 24 2009, 06:02 AM   #17
Aragorn
Admiral

Well image is everything. He has to protect his future. Cheaper by the Dozen 3 and The Fog 2 aren't guaranteed, you know.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 06:51 AM   #18
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Very true - the economy ain't what it used to be.
Old January 24 2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The new showrunners stated in a TV Guide interview conducted prior to the airing of season eight that this year is designed to push Clark closer to his destiny..and if you've paid attention he is having an internal struggle with himself to see if it's worth doing that. They need to tease and play around with us in order to tell stories and build up plot points. Eventualy we should see the payoff...at least we better.
You'll forgive me, I don't watch the show, and I haven't seen it for a long time, but I'm curious about this "destiny". Surely Superman isn't some sort of difficult destiny for Clark Kent - he's Superman because he's a nice chap and he knows he can help people. How much angst can the Superman character really generate?
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Not to be sarcastic but really as much as the CW can pump out of him really it would seem. My friend and I comment reguarly about Cheaper By the Dozen 3 jokes regarding Tom's future after Smallville ends. I really don't understand his aversion to wearing the Superman costume. Yes I understand the arguement that this show is about Clark Kent, but guess what Tom...Clark becomes Superman eventually! You can only do so much with Clark Kent. I'm really starting to get agitated about the lack of flying. They can joke about it all they like but it's basically the only power they haven't dealt with.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 03:06 PM   #21
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

I think at this point the lack of flying is just them fucking with us.

As far as embracing his destiny, I think this take on it is fair. I know a hundred people who left high school, muddled with a year or two of college, and didn't know what they were doing with their lives.

Clark sees himself as Clark Kent. It was a big jump for him to realize he could/should help people all over, not just his friends and neighbours. None of us would make that mental leap, and it's not just because we don't have powers, it's a psychological thing to see that your world extends beyond your own yard.

Superman doesn't exist. He needs a reason to create him, and while they are dancing around it now, there still really isn't one. Why should there be a Superman when the Blue Blur is totally effective?

The only reason is because the word of Superman would be trusted, and Clark has to get into situations where Clark Kent's opinion isn't worth shit, and people would listen to Superman. That also means he has to have the wisdom and maturity to have something to say that's worth listening to. He's still a guy in his early twenties at this point, and no one cares what he thinks.

Once this gets established, then there's a reason to have a person called Superman that people will actually call for help instead of saying "What are you doing here? This is a restricted area." Clark has almost enough reason for this now, especially with having to deal with police.

I don't think he had this in earlier seasons, just jousting with Lex all the time or knocking out some meteor freak. Now he is in a position where he has to present evidence against someone, and he has to show where the evidence came from, he needs an identity.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 10:07 PM   #22
Nomad
Lieutenant Commander

I don't see how legalities can stop them from showing Clark as Superman. After all, we've already seen the \S/ shield many times on the show; just put it on a slightly altered version of the suit if need be. And if Welling won't wear the costume, set the ending of the series ten years into the future and have a different actor play the role. In any case, seeing Superman in the final scene of Smallville is a must.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 03:11 AM   #23
Von_Steinwehr
Lieutenant

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
GraysonMichael wrote: View Post
The glasses are a mute point now because too many people have seen Clark's face (unless the fortress erases the world's memories of Clark which allows him to take on the glasses and geeky performance and the incorporation of the suit).
Frankly I think this is their only way out. Too many people know, too many people have seen Clark's face. A reset button (in the form of a global mind-wipe) is the only thing that can fix it now.
I have to agree. If the writers want this universe to connect with the movies then a mind wipe is probably the only way to go at this point. If that is how the writers handle things then I will not be happy.
Von_Steinwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 04:23 AM   #24
nx1701g
Admiral

Time to slingshot around the Earth again...
Old January 25 2009, 04:38 AM   #25
TGTheodore
Writer

Frontier wrote: View Post
If we don't get it, it's a worse "fuck you" to the fans than the ending of Enterprise.
No, it means the producers have kept their word about something everyone has known from the start.

--Ted
Old January 25 2009, 04:42 AM   #26
Von_Steinwehr
Lieutenant

"Time to slingshot around the Earth again... "

^^ or that. But that would mean Clark would have to learn to fly at some point and I don't know if that will even happen on this show. I am going to give this new writing team the benefit of the doubt for right now because season 8 has been much improved over the last few years, and Clark is at least now moving toward "something" that resembles his destiny. I am not too thrilled with the Lana love story again. Clark seemed to be making progress until she showed back up, and now it seems he has fallen off the wagon and drinking the Lana koolaid again.
Von_Steinwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 05:50 AM   #27
Immolatus
Captain

Series rules have been broken before.

He doesn't fly, but he can "leap tall buildings in a single bound" - literally, he jumps - no actual horizontal flight, just vertical jumping. It's rarely used though. I think I can count how often on one hand.

The real reason for the lack of the suit at this point is legality. Which is really a cop-out for DC and WB. Truth is, they either think people too dumb to accept two people playing Supes, or they're just being idiots.

Though there has also been rumor for all these years that Welling is a believer in the Superman curse, and thus is the reason he's had it guaranteed to him he'll never have to don the suit.

If anyone is dumb enough not to be able to accept Welling on TV in the suit, while simultaneously accepting another actor in the suit in films... they should be euthanized.

Everyone who had watched this show wants just one damn thing: Welling, in the suit, atop the Daily Planet, before flying off to the triumphant fan-fare for the final 30 seconds of the damn series.

That's it. That's all we want. It's not asking a lot, is it? They've boned us around for years. This show was supposed to be a 4-year high school only show. Then they said, "one more" to wrap it up. And then it snow-balled like a shit-storm. This show was supposed to end every year for the past 4 seasons. This year it looked definite, and again, it looks to get a likely reprieve.

Which is fine, it's a good show. But it's screwed with us, toyed with us, teased us, and pissed us off a lot. We deserve our reward for years of faithful viewing and buying DVDs and enduring so many soap opera moments. We deserve 30 damned seconds of "awesome" with him finally being Superman and flying off towards his much-talked-about destiny.

If we don't get it, it's a worse "fuck you" to the fans than the ending of Enterprise.
I agree 100%. just 15-30 seconds as the series ends with him in the suit would make me happy. I always viewed this as the way it was going to end anyway. I was never expecting a "superman" T.V. show
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 07:23 AM   #28
nx1701g
Admiral

I have a feeling this will be the ending:

We'll see the red blue blur take to the skies with them getting as close as the cape, but never showing his face. It'll be completely computer generated like it was in Season three.
Old January 25 2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
No, it means the producers have kept their word about something everyone has known from the start.

--Ted
Yet, the producers who made that mandate are no longer on the show. Now, it can be "anything goes!"
Old January 25 2009, 09:04 AM   #30
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Excellent point.