Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 26 2009, 05:45 AM   #31
Rii
Rear Admiral

Re: Trek Blu-Ray Release Details

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Rii wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Sort of. But you can run Quake 2 at any resolution you like and it'll still look like a game from 1997.
You can do some pretty nifty things with Quake now that we're running supercomputers from the future.
Yes, but that surely took some retexturing and dicking about with the engine (or porting it to a newer engine altogether) to get parralax mapping and god knows what else is going on. IE more work involved than simply running the game at a higher res, which reinforces my point.
Yeah, I just wanted to link the pic.
Old January 27 2009, 10:41 PM   #32
I am not Spock
Commodore

The Genesis Trilogy (II, III, and IV) probably would have made more sense as a boxset than TMP, TWOK, and TSFS.

Nevertheless, I am quite excited about these Blu Ray announcements.
Old January 27 2009, 11:28 PM   #33
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

James Bond wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

Agreed. I read a report a few weeks ago which quoted a guy from Sony saying blu-ray will be dead within 5 years.
Care to post a link to that article?
Still waiting..
I've found some from Samsung and THX that have said that it will be dead in 5 years, because new storage methods are in the works, and that since Blu-ray is so expensive (expensive players, movies and TVs) and with cheap upconverting DVD players, it's not going to have a wide enough following by the time those new ones come to market.
Nothing out of Sony, mind you. Which makes sense since it'd just be suicide for them.
Old January 28 2009, 01:32 AM   #34
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I really don't understand people who, for example, spend the best part of £800 on a 1080p TV and use it for standard def television and fucking DVD.

What's the point? I recently upgraded to a 1080p screen largely to enjoy 720/1080p content. If I was going to stick to DVDs and Freeview, I would never have bothered.

I've found some from Samsung and THX that have said that it will be dead in 5 years, because new storage methods are in the works, and that since Blu-ray is so expensive (expensive players, movies and TVs) and with cheap upconverting DVD players,
Makes sense.

5 years is a fair life for a movie format imho. Even as avid a gamer as I am, I don't change consoles every time a new gen kicks off, so why should BD be "dead" to me when the new shit arrives? Same thing if you ask me.
Old January 28 2009, 01:54 AM   #35
Stewey
Rear Admiral

I welcome Trek being released to Blue Ray, but to be honest I'm more than happy with my existing DVD's. I don't yet have hi-def tv in my house yet but I think when I do eventually have the funds to get it, I'm sure the upscaler will do a pretty good job.

Plus I fear that if I were to replace my recently purchased DVD's with Blue Ray yet another format will be released making blue ray obsolete. Heck, I'm still upgrading from VHS even after 8 years of starting collecing DVD's.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
Old January 28 2009, 11:05 AM   #36
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76

sorry but the price argument for both players and movies is bs.
a excellent profile 2.0 player from samsung as well as excellent profile 2.0 players from sony can be had for 199.99 now and not to mention the samsung bdp-3500 wich also includes netflix streaming can be had for less 350. these prices are lower than dvd was at a comparable time in its life span.

certain hollywood blockbusters can be had on day one of release for less than 24.99 examples The Dark knight 22.99, Get Smart 24.99, Indiana Jones 24.99, Iron Man 23.99
and catalog titles can be had as low as 16.99 first week examples include recent james bond blurays, Pink panther, Truman Show, upcomming friday the 13th will be 17.99 at frys next week with a free movie cash for the new film.
movies that have been out for a while can be easily picked up between 9.99 and 14.99 on any given day.

so drop the over price bs, its flat out a lie. and pure FUD
Hoser wrote: View Post
Care to post a link to that article?
Still waiting..
I've found some from Samsung and THX that have said that it will be dead in 5 years, because new storage methods are in the works, and that since Blu-ray is so expensive (expensive players, movies and TVs) and with cheap upconverting DVD players, it's not going to have a wide enough following by the time those new ones come to market.
Nothing out of Sony, mind you. Which makes sense since it'd just be suicide for them.
Old January 28 2009, 11:08 AM   #37
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iam sorry but upscaling can not compare to a true 1080p bluray resolution. it doesnt even come close. once you watch a movie in highdef standard dvd and upconverting just dont cut it.
Stewey wrote: View Post
I welcome Trek being released to Blue Ray, but to be honest I'm more than happy with my existing DVD's. I don't yet have hi-def tv in my house yet but I think when I do eventually have the funds to get it, I'm sure the upscaler will do a pretty good job.

Plus I fear that if I were to replace my recently purchased DVD's with Blue Ray yet another format will be released making blue ray obsolete. Heck, I'm still upgrading from VHS even after 8 years of starting collecing DVD's.
Old January 28 2009, 11:13 AM   #38
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking the same thing when i first heard that a few weeks back and saw the box art. Tmp, WOK, SFS are not a trilogy. WOK SFS, AND VH are a trilogy. they would have been better doing a quad box or a spock trilogy. and whats up with releasing 4 and 6 seperately but no release of 5 thank goodness the us is getting a full classic trek cast movie collection and not just parts 1 2 and 3 which are not a trilogy.

th
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
The Genesis Trilogy (II, III, and IV) probably would have made more sense as a boxset than TMP, TWOK, and TSFS.

Nevertheless, I am quite excited about these Blu Ray announcements.
Old January 30 2009, 07:03 PM   #39
Stewey
Rear Admiral

Tinkertoyz76 wrote: View Post
Iam sorry but upscaling can not compare to a true 1080p bluray resolution. it doesnt even come close. once you watch a movie in highdef standard dvd and upconverting just dont cut it
I have never seen a side by side comparison and have been going on what I have been told by others. I think you are probably right and I think I'm going to wait until the prices drop.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
Old January 31 2009, 06:40 AM   #40
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah man dont believe what the hd dvd guys who are still upset about the format failing, keeping pushing "with that upscaling looks great" B.S.
keep an eye though pretty good bet you amazon or deepdiscount or someone will have these the first week for pretty decent price.

Stewey wrote: View Post
Tinkertoyz76 wrote: View Post
Iam sorry but upscaling can not compare to a true 1080p bluray resolution. it doesnt even come close. once you watch a movie in highdef standard dvd and upconverting just dont cut it
I have never seen a side by side comparison and have been going on what I have been told by others. I think you are probably right and I think I'm going to wait until the prices drop.