Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 24 2009, 06:14 PM   #16
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy
Re: Trek Blu-Ray Release Details

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
trekkerguy wrote: View Post

I doubt that.
Good for you.
I don't give a fuck how long the format stays on the shelves, as long as it's long enough for the catalogue to sufficiently widen and for all new releases to be on it.

Oh look, that already happened. And when it finally goes the way of VHS, I'll still have discs full of lovely 1080p content at bitrates most current digital download services could only dream of.

So whatever happens, yes. It's very good for me.
Old January 24 2009, 08:44 PM   #17
James Bond
Rear Admiral

James Bond wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
Agreed. I read a report a few weeks ago which quoted a guy from Sony saying blu-ray will be dead within 5 years.
Care to post a link to that article?
Still waiting..
Old January 25 2009, 03:18 AM   #18
GNDN
Commodore

My question was going to be which version of TMP would be released and I'm very pleased to learn that it will be the theatrical versions of TMP, TWOK and TUC. I much prefer these versions for II and VI and have been waiting for TMP on DVD 4EVA
Old January 25 2009, 03:49 AM   #19
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76

Its because the special effects work done for the added scenes into the directors cuts were done on video in 480p resolution only(just like the special effects on next generation which is while it will be quite a while if ever before next gen gets a bluray release) so in order to release the films on bluray they would have to spend quite a bit of money to re render all the special effects shots that were added in for the special editions in HD.
(especially for the first movie)

Iam sure one day we will see these but its going to be quite sometime.
Iam just happy to be getting the theatrical versions of the films atleast.

which were what i enjoyed when i watched them in the theatres to begin with. here is hopeing we finally get a proper 2:35:1 release of VI instead of that 2:10:1 that we keep getting stuck with on the prior dvd and widescreen vhs releases.
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Sucks that the first six films will only be in their theatrical versions. I much preferred the special editions (of TMP, TWOK and TUC).
Old January 25 2009, 03:52 AM   #20
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldnt hold your breath they were probably just people angry that hd dvd lost and still feel a need to bash bluray cause they are upset they invested all there money in the format that lost.

(i was a big hd dvd suporter before it lost but it lost and i moved on and iam quite happy with my bluray collection now over 400 titles strong)
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

Agreed. I read a report a few weeks ago which quoted a guy from Sony saying blu-ray will be dead within 5 years.
Care to post a link to that article?
Still waiting..
Old January 25 2009, 06:53 AM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Tinkertoyz76 wrote: View Post
Its because the special effects work done for the added scenes into the directors cuts were done on video in 480p resolution only(just like the special effects on next generation which is while it will be quite a while if ever before next gen gets a bluray release) so in order to release the films on bluray they would have to spend quite a bit of money to re render all the special effects shots that were added in for the special editions in HD.
There's a difference between re-rendering the effects and RE-CREATING them. AFAIK, re-rendering the EFX is like recompiling a computer program. Re-creating them would be like writing the whole program over again. I would think that it wouldn't be anywhere near as complicated or expensive to re-render existing effects (which is what would need to be done for a TMP-DE Blu-Ray) rather than creating entirely NEW effects.

I also think that the TNG effects couldn't be re-rendered, simply because they were originally done on videotape. For that reason, TNG's effects would have to be re-created from the ground up. Not so for the TMP-DE, which was all film from the get-go - even the new DE effects.

That being said, I still won't buy any version of TMP that isn't the DE. So I may have to stick with standard def for awhile.

As for the second and sixth film: I don't believe that any of the added scenes for those films had any special effects in them whatsoever. So I don't see what's holding *them* up for a Blu-Ray release.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 25 2009, 07:58 AM   #22
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

As for the second and sixth film: I don't believe that any of the added scenes for those films had any special effects in them whatsoever. So I don't see what's holding *them* up for a Blu-Ray release.
Those films were obviously recut with Standard Definition (NTSC/PAL) editing software for the DVD releases, hence their absence from BD.

TGT
Old January 25 2009, 08:11 AM   #23
RobertScorpio
Pariah

If you wait to have a child until you can afford one, you never will...

Rob
Old January 25 2009, 09:15 AM   #24
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I hated how they completely ruined the Spock/Valeris mind meld scene, so I'm glad the un-dicked-about-with version is the candidate for the HD release.

There's a difference between re-rendering the effects and RE-CREATING them. AFAIK, re-rendering the EFX is like recompiling a computer program
Sort of. But you can run Quake 2 at any resolution you like and it'll still look like a game from 1997.

If the new CG was good enough for 480i/p, it doesn't follow that it would look good in hi def. You might find that simply re-rendering the scenes at the appropriate resolution shows up some blurry, low-resolution textures, modelling work that isn't detailed enough to stand up to that much scrutiny and perhaps slight geometry glitches that simply weren't visible in SD but almost ruin the shot in 1080p.

I'm guessing of course, and that may not even apply to these "enhanced" shots, but it's not necessarily as simple as "render it again".

Last edited by Jim Steele; January 25 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old January 25 2009, 11:08 AM   #25
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

I have to agree it will be a joy to have the original theatrical versions of all of these films out in a high definition format. If you want to watch the redone versions of TMP, Khan or The Undiscovered Country, then watch the regular DVDs. Even on a HD monitor, they look damn good through an upconverting DVD player.

What's the matter with more Trek to watch?

Plus, assuing the new movie does well and the sequel(s) are reasonably successful, I'd bet 1000 quatloos on the three above movies, along with at least ST:V, being remastered with new effects. Paramount missing a chance to sell us yet another version of Trek and make even more money? Does the sun rise in the east?
Old January 25 2009, 11:50 AM   #26
Rii
Rear Admiral

Sort of. But you can run Quake 2 at any resolution you like and it'll still look like a game from 1997.
You can do some pretty nifty things with Quake now that we're running supercomputers from the future.
Old January 25 2009, 02:08 PM   #27
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
You can do some pretty nifty things with Quake now that we're running supercomputers from the future.
Yes, but that surely took some retexturing and dicking about with the engine (or porting it to a newer engine altogether) to get parralax mapping and god knows what else is going on. IE more work involved than simply running the game at a higher res, which reinforces my point.
Old January 25 2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The God Thing wrote: View Post
Those films were obviously recut with Standard Definition (NTSC/PAL) editing software for the DVD releases, hence their absence from BD.
What do you mean 'obviously'?

And what does the software have to do with any of this?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 25 2009, 04:54 PM   #29
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

The God Thing wrote: View Post
What do you mean 'obviously'?

And what does the software have to do with any of this?
Although I agree that it isn't entirely 'obvious', whether or not they edited in SD or HD (and whether or not the software they used was capable of the latter) certainly has something to do with it.
Old January 26 2009, 03:55 AM   #30
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Robert wise before his death said all of the special effects for the directors cut were done in 480p there were all done in standard defintion only. and its been stated in the past when paramount was HDdvd only(before it went bye bye) and the classic series came out on hd, that it would probably be quite sometime if ever that there would be any sort of high def release of the motion picture cause the cost would be quite high for them to do the work that would need to be done.
same reason as why it will be quite a while for NExt gen DS9 and voyage on bluray.

your more likely to see enterprise on blu before any of the other post tos series.

I know its a question that was asked at a sci fi convention i attended last year as well. and the response was pretty much the same.
Tinkertoyz76 wrote: View Post
There's a difference between re-rendering the effects and RE-CREATING them. AFAIK, re-rendering the EFX is like recompiling a computer program. Re-creating them would be like writing the whole program over again. I would think that it wouldn't be anywhere near as complicated or expensive to re-render existing effects (which is what would need to be done for a TMP-DE Blu-Ray) rather than creating entirely NEW effects.

I also think that the TNG effects couldn't be re-rendered, simply because they were originally done on videotape. For that reason, TNG's effects would have to be re-created from the ground up. Not so for the TMP-DE, which was all film from the get-go - even the new DE effects.

That being said, I still won't buy any version of TMP that isn't the DE. So I may have to stick with standard def for awhile.