Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 22 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't like "special features"

And I feel weird about it. Aside from the occasional deleted scene, I don't really watch DVD special features. I don't like commentaries. I don't really care how TV shows and movies are made. I just care that the movie itself is good.

Am I not normal?
Old May 22 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: I don't like "special features"

I think you're probably normal. I doubt the average DVD buyer cares much about the features, either. I'm the only member of my family who really cares about special features. When a new DVD comes out in both single-disc (no features) and 2-disc (with features) varieties, I'm the only one who buys the latter.

I love special features. I watched the special features on the LOTR EE DVDs probably a dozen times.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Hermiod
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And I feel weird about it. Aside from the occasional deleted scene, I don't really watch DVD special features. I don't like commentaries. I don't really care how TV shows and movies are made. I just care that the movie itself is good.

Am I not normal?
A lot of people don't watch them. I, on the other hand, enjoy a good commentary.

When I buy a boxed set of a TV series, I find it handy when there's a commentary on an episode I don't like. It's either that or skip the episode entirely.

Helped me get through a certain Stargate Atlantis episode, that's for sure.

The DVD commentary on Superman IV is highly entertaining. As was the infamous commentary on Battlestar Galactica's "Black Market" where RDM basically takes the blame for how bad it is.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 01:25 PM   #4
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

As a general rule, I don't watch the extras either but I have to say the commentaries on the Seinfeld box sets have been done very well and are well worth watching as they give a lot of background on the people who made individual episodes stand out.
Old May 22 2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm pissed when there aren't good special features. I bought one of the Harry Potter movies hoping I'd get some good behind the scenes stuff on how it was made and instead all I got were these stupid kids games.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

"special features" & marketing

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I just care that the movie itself is good.

Am I not normal?
You are the marketing target audience for the 'bare-bones edition' Blu-ray/DVD.

Major movie studios know there is a market for film buffs and that is why fans will pay more money for the special collectors editions.

Blu-ray may be changing this as the additional cost of that format hasn't given people 2 versions of a Blu-ray release on the same date really... yet.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

^That I hate to no end! Like they just assume that every Harry Potter fan is a kid

Also I hate DVDs without proper, logical menues. Oh and if you can't tell: I love DVD extras. I've ben known to rebuy a movie if it has way more special features.
Old May 22 2009, 03:16 PM   #8
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I hate it when they list standard DVD conventions as special features like interactive menus, subtitles and scene selection

I have to say, the LOTR EE appendices have totally spoiled me on special features . . .
Old May 22 2009, 03:27 PM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

backstept wrote: View Post
I hate it when they list standard DVD conventions as special features
TOS season1 on Blu-ray had FEDCON 2009 updates this month. I wonder if the other two major conventions this year will be updates and behind-the-scenes too the week-of as BD-Live.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I'm a big special features fan, and I have double-dipped purely for extras several times on movies that are special to me. I have found that after watching so many bonus features, the "how-to" ones are a little repetitive, but I know that they have to treat every DVD like it could be someone's first. One reason why I like special features is that they can give me some insight into why certain decisions were made, whether I agree or disagree with them.

To me, the movie is still the most important thing. I won't forgo a purchase on a movie I love if only a barebones edition is available, and no double-dip is expected soon.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

I'm a film buff. Well put-together special features (i.e. the Alien Quadrilogy or the Blade Runner Final Cut) are worth as much to me as the films themselves. But I'd prefer bare-bone releases to DVDs stuffed full of useless crap that is passed off as special features (motion menus, trailers for other films, EPK featurettes, digital copies, etc.).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:43 PM   #12
MNM
Captain

The only features I care about are bloopers, which are always good, and commentaries. But even then, I only care about the commentary if it's done by interesting people talking about the story and stuff, listening to cameramen and light directors etc discussing how they set up a particular shot bores the hell out of me.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I usually ignore special features other than bloopers and deleted scenes. Unless its a Kevin Smith movie. Then I watch the special features religiously.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 04:24 PM   #14
LitmusDragon
Commodore

For certain movies, especially ones from my childhood, the special features are just as important as the film itself to me. In particular I enjoy hearing how certain FX shots were done on films like Alien/Aliens and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Seinfeld/the various Treks/The Simpsons also had great content in the special features.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore

Hermiod wrote: View Post
When I buy a boxed set of a TV series, I find it handy when there's a commentary on an episode I don't like. It's either that or skip the episode entirely.
I had one of those. I never liked the Buffy episode "Hush"; I just can't stand that silent gimmick. But Joss Whedon talking all through the silent part made it much better.
Theodore Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote