Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 40 21.05%
Above Average 84 44.21%
Average 47 24.74%
Below Average 14 7.37%
Poor 5 2.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25 2009, 05:58 PM   #106
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

I saw this episode as more evidence that the series is running too long. RDM is now going back to his greatest hits catalog of "morose moral", "rebellion", "tom zarek = bad", "ooooh baby cylons", etc. It's really a bit tiresome to see all this again. I just want to see the show end and get the story capped off.
Old January 25 2009, 06:08 PM   #107
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I will admit this rebellion thing seems kind of stupid. Yes, earth is screwed up. Wouldnt it make sense to at least work together to find another home instead of fighting each other?
Old January 25 2009, 06:15 PM   #108
Gregsmack
Captain

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
Yes, earth is screwed up. Wouldnt it make sense to at least work together to find another home instead of fighting each other?
Are you talking about BSG or the daily world news?
Old January 25 2009, 06:20 PM   #109
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I would have liked to have seen a bit more reaction to the "Ellen-is-the-5th-" thing.
Tigh telling Adama would have made an interesting scene, and in the episode Tigh is just his normal self; doesn't really seem bothered about the whole thing. Which was a bit odd

Also, when do the Face of the Enemy webisodes take place then? Between eps 1 & 2, after 2?
Old January 25 2009, 06:23 PM   #110
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

In this interview:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....soul.html#more

RDM admits that the Hotdog thing was a retcon to clean up the baby issue. He also says that Cally wasn't a cheater, at least not from his perspective. (You'll have to consult your own definition of 'cheater' to find your own answer. I'll go with RDM's, since it's his show.) Personally, I think they cleaned up one mess and unintentionally created another. (Making people think that Cally was a cheater.) Not that it really matters on a show like this, which could easily have gone that direction for totally independent reasons.

Why did you need to establish that Nicky is not the Chief’s baby?

Well, we’re starting to sort of resolve some of the plot threads and provide answers to things and one of the questions was, “Is Hera the only hybrid, the only Cylon-human child, or not?” If Nicky was a Cylon-human child, what does that mean? Now there’s two of them. It was important to the mythology of the show that only Hera be the only one. We had always sort of said that.

So you had to sort of retrofit...

Yeah, we had to retrofit that. We knew that was going to be a problem back when we decided that Tyrol was a Cylon. We said, “OK, how are we going to deal with that?” And [someone] said, “Well, maybe at some point we just find out Tyrol’s not the father.” And we all kind of laughed. And then we said, “Actually, that’s a very elegant solution to it.” We just say, “Tyrol’s not the father,” and we move on.
And that’s kind of how the show is. We take these gambles, then we take time to make sure it fits in with what we’ve got. Or we try to at least address it and make it fit into what we’ve got, so the mosaic is still consistent.

Does that meant that Cally cheated on the Chief? Were they together when she had her fling with Hot Dog?

I think Cottle says [the child was conceived] before they got married. I think she had some kind of relationship with Hot Dog, before she and Chief got married. But that all kind of falls into that missing year of time in between the end of Season 2 and the beginning of Season 3.

You know what, honestly, I would feel bad if, retroactively, Cally was a cheater. She went through enough.

I don’t think she was cheating. The intention was not that she was cheating on Tyrol. It was that she had some kind of relationship with Hot Dog, you know, before or concurrent with, as she and Tyrol were getting together. In my mind, Tyrol, like, in a moment, proposed to her. And she was stunned and said yes, but she had probably slept with Hot Dog three weeks before or something like that. It was one of those kinds of circumstances.

Got it. Because, you know, the Compendium of Bad Things that Happened to Cally ...

[laughs] I know.

I’ve been re-watching the earlier seasons, and I developed this theory that you guys would sit around and go, “What’s the worst thing that happens in this episode? Can it happen to Cally?”

[laughs] I know.

So I just hoped that, you know, even in death, bad things would not continue to happen to her.

No, no. She wasn’t a cheater. It was just one of those things.
And thanks to Berg417448 for the link.
Old January 25 2009, 06:38 PM   #111
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
Yes, earth is screwed up. Wouldnt it make sense to at least work together to find another home instead of fighting each other?
Are you talking about BSG or the daily world news?

Nicely done.

I think I'm starting to figure out what this show is all about.

Killer Koinek wrote: View Post
I saw this episode as more evidence that the series is running too long.
I was just telling a friend yesterday that this show is going out exactly when it should. As much as I love it, I think another season would have been too much. It just feels right to end it now. This bowl of porridge is just right.
Old January 25 2009, 07:26 PM   #112
McCoy
Commodore

As this last batch of eps was starting, I thought to myself that Olmos would probably want his kid to have some more visibility before it was all over. When Cottle said Tyrol was not Nicky's father, I knew exactly who it would turn out to be.

As for Baltar, he's just as disgusted, disillusioned and depressed as everyone else after Earth's discovery and he just doesn't care anymore. He was clearly drunk during his broadcast and would rather be anywhere else. And he's still the same narcissist he's always been. He probably believes that after all he's been through he deserved a literal paradise on Earth and feels personally betrayed by God. His bitterness is simply an externalization of his injured sense of entitlement.

About that last scene of Adama and Roslin: did anyone else see the green screen halo around Laura's bald head? Did I imagine that?
Old January 25 2009, 08:27 PM   #113
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Average. After the A+++ rock-fest that was the premiere last week, this one made me feel quite bored. Gaeta, while somewhat contingent to the plot, I'm finding to be a bit whiny and I hope he goes down with Zarek, who has also become a bit whiny. Roslin did have a good point, though, she does deserve to live a little before she dies. She had ndoubtedly earned it. Hopefully next week will resolve a lot of this.

As for the Hotdog/Tyrol/Nicky thing, I'm thinking the writers decided, "Hey, we have too many Cylon/Human half-breed babies around here, we need to get rid of one of them. Why don't we make Hotdog Nicky's father and wipe out that storyline entirely because we don't have enough time to do anything with it". Definitely felt like a tacked-on reset button out of the blue.
Old January 25 2009, 11:14 PM   #114
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed something in the last year, but when did Tigh become the doting dad? Wasn't he raping the blonde Cylon while she was in jail? And now the sexual abuser and his victim are bonding over the unborn child they've somehow created? I don't get it.
Tigh never raped Six. It was completely consensual. She actually initiated it by acting as if she were Ellen.
OK, so she used deception. That lets Tigh off the hook. And since Six was a prisoner, this further facilitated the "completely consensual" element of her relationship with him. What more could any man ask?
Old January 26 2009, 12:50 AM   #115
Harvey
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Also, when do the Face of the Enemy webisodes take place then? Between eps 1 & 2, after 2?
Between Sometimes a Great Notion and this episode, as per RDM in a new interview (linked elsewhere on this board).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old January 26 2009, 01:44 AM   #116
Velocity
Rear Admiral

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
I just hope that the nurse who was displaying the ultrasound doesn't end up killing the child... the looks she was throwing around when Six and Tigh were talking really hinted towards something like that going down.
She did fuss at the men for smoking around a pregnant "woman", though. I think she was horrified at the idea of the cylons being able to make more cylons. She'll probably tell someone else who will then do the dirty deed. It takes a pretty cold person to kill a baby, so they will take out the woman before she delivers.
Old January 26 2009, 02:31 AM   #117
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I went with "Above Average". I think it did a terrific job following up on the decline of the fleet (especially where Laura is concerned as well as Gaeta and Zarek). With no common goal left, things are spiraling dangerously out of control.

It's very sad to see Laura, really. You can just see and feel that there's not much time left for her. I wonder what her last moments on the show will be like.

I'm really curious about where Gaeta and Zarek are headed. I loved the scene between Gaeta and Starbuck. It was terrific how he picked her up on what she was going to do to him and the irony of the whole tribunal. Since he's joining up with Zarek, it would seem, however, he didn't know who was behind the whole scheme in "Collaborators".

As for the Chief's son, I actually like this revelation. Amidst many grand, sweeping revelations, this is a very human, very straight-forward one. It would seem Cylons not only look like us, but the same kind of crap that happens to many of us can happen to them. And I also think it's an interesting way of promoting Tyrol's path to becoming Cylon again, in a sense.
Old January 26 2009, 04:31 AM   #118
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Solid episode, good job of writing & directing by RDM. I am glad I watched the webisode just before watching this one.
Old January 26 2009, 05:14 AM   #119
DanTheGrey
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DanTheGrey

Dark as hell, but a solid hour's drama with some sci-fi elements thrown in. I relaly enjoyed the attention being back on the people this time which is why it got an Excellent compared to the Above Average I gave last week's. This was a good "chew your food" episode rather than just shoveling blow after blow at everyone.

And I didn't feel like pulling the covers over my head and wanting to hide after this episode
Old January 26 2009, 08:07 AM   #120
Michael_One
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral Adama is taking a chance with accepting the Cylon jump tech, as others have commented there is the danger of a remote 'off' switch. I'm wondering if his trust in Sharon influenced his thinking? I imagine there is still a lot of resentment toward the Cylons over the standoff a few weeks ago not to mention the sheer anger over the Colonies.

When Cavil and his followers catch up with the Rag Tag Fleet, would you bet there's a "nobody goes 'till we're ready" command for the Fleet's jump engines if the Base Star's drive hasn't spooled up yet?

The idea the that three times the jump range means three times the chances to find a new planet is not correct, space is three dimensional. Three times the range is twenty seven times the volume you can reach in one jump. Also that gives many more possible locations to escape to if Cavil shows up.