Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 40 21.05%
Above Average 84 44.21%
Average 47 24.74%
Below Average 14 7.37%
Poor 5 2.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25 2009, 07:28 AM   #91
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

cbspock wrote: View Post
I think Adama has a bullet with Gaeta's name on it.
-Chris
I think Adama has a flashlight with Geata's name on it.
Old January 25 2009, 07:28 AM   #92
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Velocity wrote: View Post
I hope they do get rid of them quickly. They are both self-absorbed and self-pitying and don't have the welfare of the people in their thoughts other than as a means to an end.
I'm sorry, which characters are we talking about now? "Self absorbed and self pitying" describes about half of them. Baltar? Kara? Roslin?
Old January 25 2009, 07:31 AM   #93
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
...and a woman who was 22nd or 23rd (I forget) in line to lead the colonies.
43rd.

I think the fleet could have done a lot worse than Adama and Roslin. Maybe they could have done better, but they could have gotten Cain, you know? And considering how far down the line of succession Roslin was, I'm glad she didn't just go jogging her first week on the job.
Old January 25 2009, 07:34 AM   #94
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I think the fleet could have done a lot worse than Adama and Roslin.
Sure. That doesn't mean they've done a particularly good job. A lot of the criticism that's being leveled at them right now by people like Zarek is absolutely dead on, too.

I've never liked or been at all impressed with Roslin as a leader, though I think the actor has done a fantastic job playing her. In fact, this show is full of good actors doing great jobs portraying people I don't much like. One of the things that makes it a unique pleasure to watch.

Anybody think that assistant of Cottle's is going to try to knock off Tigh/Caprica's baby in the womb? Seems pretty likely.
Old January 25 2009, 07:59 AM   #95
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Sure. That doesn't mean they've done a particularly good job. A lot of the criticism that's being leveled at them right now by people like Zarek is absolutely dead on, too.
I'm not one for thinking that the BSG-verse has much spinoff potential, but one could mine a whole other series out of simply retelling the last four seasons solely from the perspective of the civilian ships. Adama and Roslin's decisions tend to look good to me, but that's mostly because we as viewers have been on the inside of their thinking for so long. They probably look dangerously unreliable to most outsiders, as this weeks episode proved.
Old January 25 2009, 08:09 AM   #96
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

A lot of the criticism that's being leveled at them right now by people like Zarek is absolutely dead on, too.
Of course. Pretty much everybody's viewpoint on this show makes perfect sense, from their own perspective. That's what makes it all so believable.

Anybody think that assistant of Cottle's is going to try to knock off Tigh/Caprica's baby in the womb? Seems pretty likely.
That's Bamber's real-life wife, but maybe everybody here already knows that. (And as I've said elsewhere, I don't expect that baby to survive, either.)
Old January 25 2009, 08:10 AM   #97
Gregsmack
Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I'm not one for thinking that the BSG-verse has much spinoff potential, but one could mine a whole other series out of simply retelling the last four seasons solely from the perspective of the civilian ships. Adama and Roslin's decisions tend to look good to me, but that's mostly because we as viewers have been on the inside of their thinking for so long. They probably look dangerously unreliable to most outsiders, as this weeks episode proved.
I always thought this as well. I often wondered what the show would be like if it had been done with a Wire-like approach.
Old January 25 2009, 08:12 AM   #98
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
That's Bamber's real-life wife, but maybe everybody here already knows that. (And as I've said elsewhere, I don't expect that baby to survive, either.)
I didn't. That's rather interesting.
Old January 25 2009, 08:19 AM   #99
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I didn't. That's rather interesting.
She's also the medic who pulled Boomer's bullets out of the Old Man's chest in the beginning of season two, so it's a nice bit of continuity to still have her around after all this time.
Old January 25 2009, 08:23 AM   #100
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

She's also the medic who pulled Boomer's bullets out of the Old Man's chest in the beginning of season two, so it's a nice bit of continuity to still have her around after all this time.
Oh, yes, that's right. I never put the two together.
Old January 25 2009, 12:29 PM   #101
Seven of Five
Commodore

I kept wondering why the assistant seemed so familiar and then I remembered her from season 2, and thought 'That's Apollo's wife!'

I gave this episode an Above Average. It wasn't as bombastic as last week's torture, but there was no way that it was going to be, or needed to be. We're just changing gear for the rest of the season.

I liked Tigh asking Tyrol if he needed a chart to keep track of his and the cylons heritage. Hell I need a chart, who doesn't? Tyrol then asking for the Cylons to be officially recognised by the government and such floored me. Is what happened before on Kobol with the 13th tribe happening again? With all of the civil unrest blowing up with the Cylon alliance, I wonder if something similar had happened to get 13 tribes 2000 years ago.

Gaeta was totally on in this episode - I was more sympathetic with him than I was with Zarek. Like others have said before me, Zarek is making a lot of good points, but is totally the wrong man to lead a revolution. Gaetor has a lot of personal investment, having to worked with Baltar under the Cylons on New Caprica; after covertly sending classified info to the resistence and then being accused by said resistence of being a collaborator; and then having the resistence turn out to be Cylons themselves! He lost his leg because of a Cylon, and then last week his friend Dee couldn't cope with the situation and shot herself. I'd be wary of what Adama and co. are doing after all that/ Oh wait, I am anyway!

I loved the scene where Gaeta attacks Starbuck. He's so full of bile and attacks when she just wants to be left the hell alone. 'For all we know, you could be a Cylon.' 'Well at least I'm not a gimp.' Ouch. Seriously.

Nicky's parentage was an odd story (retcon!) to have but as I've said somewhere else, it's probably better for the overall story to make Hera the only Cylon/Human hybrid, after all the buildup she received in season 1, and all of the kidnapping, lies and other fun that happened thereafter. Nicky never received that attention, he was never meant to be a hybrid. The reveal of Tyrol as a final fiver threw a wrench in the plan so they pulled it out in a way that made sense. Sort of. Did Cally screw around with Hotdog before she got with Tyrol? Does that work out? Because to be a cheat on top of everything else she's done and everything that's happened to her...

It was sad watching Roslin slip further and further away from what we've known her to be for so long now. Has she earned the right to live before she dies? Of course she has! I got upset then. Seeing her turn her back on the presidency seems like bad form though. Having her and Adama hook up at the end was a really good ending though! About time! The two together are stronger than they are apart so hopefully something will come out of this.

I haven't mentioned Zarek much - I always feel a bit underwhelmed when I see him onscreen. I mean I agreed with a lot of what he had to say in the episode. I just feel that he's so dislikeable now (which is probably the point) that I'm ready to see a bullet in him. Fired by a pissed-off Adama.

Last edited by Seven of Five; January 25 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old January 25 2009, 03:11 PM   #102
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

I knew this was going to be a downer episode as soon as Adama left his office and picked up that litter…that’s a bad sign in any military organization.

So in DFMS we have a realistic, downbeat episode that deals with the fleets cratered morale and everyone looking for someone to place blame…this episode had to happen. I think this situation will continue until some future unknown major event happens to galvanizes fleet unity.

This doom and gloom was inevitable but could have been diminished with some steady leadership from Laura. So I would place any blame with the President…Laura now has to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Even if TZ becomes the Pres...it doesn't matter.

Adama imo was wrong to ignore the quorum and solely make the decision to start a new mission with the skin jobs as allies so he brought this mutiny on himself.

I was never a big fan of Calley but in that harsh environment you have to find love where you can ...’nuff said.

Can’t say I liked this episode but nBSG is all about keeping it real and that’s what DFMS delivers. So I gave it an 'average' ...mostly because it's not an episode I could watch again and again. For me it's a painful episode to endure...but I like the pain.

Very good performances all the way around and special thanks to Hulu.
Old January 25 2009, 03:26 PM   #103
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

I found Adama vs. Zarek to be a nice return to the original (either mini-series or first couple of season one episodes, I can't remember) principle of "the government only serves at the military's pleasure". That kind of got forgotten, especially when Adama started sleeping with the President. This is a reminder (that we haven't had in a long time) that this isn't the Twelve Colonies anymore, it's a rag-tag fleet being led by Galactica.
Old January 25 2009, 03:27 PM   #104
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

Oh, and as for Nicky being human ... I don't think it's any big plot device to save Hera as the one true whatever she is ... I think it's just a bit of soap opera drama to fill out the story. Maybe they were running 5 minutes short each episode and needed another storyline ...
Old January 25 2009, 05:55 PM   #105
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Oh, and as for Nicky being human ... I don't think it's any big plot device to save Hera as the one true whatever she is ... I think it's just a bit of soap opera drama to fill out the story. Maybe they were running 5 minutes short each episode and needed another storyline ...

I doubt that. They never ever run short, never. If nothing comes from that storyline then the writers will probably come out and say they screw it up.

I think it's to make clear that Hera is the only and only special baby. I see no way for Caprica 6 having her baby, that's made very clear.