Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 40 21.05%
Above Average 84 44.21%
Average 47 24.74%
Below Average 14 7.37%
Poor 5 2.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 24 2009, 04:23 PM   #61
Kaijima
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

While Tyrol's jump to Cylonhood is a bit abrupt and probably was rushed to start tying up loose ends, I do think there's fair justification for it in his background; the chief has been going downhill for a while and fed up with his human life and history.

What I feel is a bigger problem is the consequences so far of his Cylon jump: essentially, the old man and even Tigh just sort of raising an eyebrow and moving on, when Tyrol makes moves that would seriously call his loyalty (and security) into doubt. Tigh has Adama's trust again, but Tigh has from square one resolutely supported his human history and loyalty to the Colonial oath.
Old January 24 2009, 05:10 PM   #62
Gregsmack
Captain

Kaijima wrote: View Post
While Tyrol's jump to Cylonhood is a bit abrupt and probably was rushed to start tying up loose ends, I do think there's fair justification for it in his background; the chief has been going downhill for a while and fed up with his human life and history.

What I feel is a bigger problem is the consequences so far of his Cylon jump: essentially, the old man and even Tigh just sort of raising an eyebrow and moving on, when Tyrol makes moves that would seriously call his loyalty (and security) into doubt. Tigh has Adama's trust again, but Tigh has from square one resolutely supported his human history and loyalty to the Colonial oath.
I disagree with the raising eyebrow. Adama and Tigh's jaws practically hit the floor when Chief requested Colonial citizenship in exchange for the FTL tech. As did Helo's, Gaeta's, and Lee's.

I agree with your background comment though. He's been banging this issue around in his head for a while now and seems to have struggled with it more than any of the Four. Tigh doesn't seem to have a problem with his own Cylonness so much as he wants to be able to remain with his fellow humans and continue on as before. Chief needs more than that, and probably is welcoming (as much as a guy who chuckles on a nuked Earth can welcome anything) starting his new life as a Cylon.

The fact that he may have to give up Nicky as well makes his story even more interesting. Hot Dog will likely get custody now (there's no way this society would allow a Cylon to keep a human baby) and I'm curious to see how Chief will handle all this. For one he seems relieved on a practical level, but I can't imagine the decision to give up the kid will be that easy in the long run. The kid was for all intents and purposes his son.

Chief's switch is also a way easier pill to swallow than Tory's (from the Colonial perspective). Chief is just switching sides now as civilly as can be done. Tory pretty much jumped ship at the first opportunity and stood with D'Anna in pointing nukes at the fleet. The baby issue could be interesting here as well since if Chief and Tory are going to be the only ex-human Cylons on the base ship, that little issue of Cally's murder may just come into play.
Old January 24 2009, 05:17 PM   #63
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Well the Chief isn't the Chief anymore - ie he doesn't work as part of the military, remember he resigned, not to mention the final five (4) were given a full pardon by president lee, so I think he's free to go where he wishes.
Old January 24 2009, 05:22 PM   #64
Gregsmack
Captain

^ That's true. I just call him the Chief by habit. Did anyone notice the little quip Gaeta made in Adama's office about Tyrol being the "FORMER Chief"? I thought that was a nice little bitter touch.
Old January 24 2009, 05:43 PM   #65
Snaploud
Admiral

I completely understand why so many Colonials would rather not have the rogue Cylons fiddling with their jump drives. It's almost a certainty that the jump drives will be secretly given some sort of emergency over-ride. Quite frankly, I don't understand why Adama thinks the increase in jump drive efficiency is worth the security concerns or the political difficulties.
Old January 24 2009, 05:58 PM   #66
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Below Average for this viewer. Much of the episode was awfully familiar--relationships between key characters have turned poisonous and there's rebellion in the fleet. Also, Baltar is going through his cult leader playbook (maybe it's appropriate that this episode aired during Inaugeration Week).

Maybe I missed something in the last year, but when did Tigh become the doting dad? Wasn't he raping the blonde Cylon while she was in jail? And now the sexual abuser and his victim are bonding over the unborn child they've somehow created? I don't get it. Oh, keep an eye on Doc Cottle's nurse. The neon sign on her forehead said THIS CYLON BABY MUST DIE!

Disappointing that the episode didn't offer more to explore Dee's suicide. There has been some visible impact from the tragedy--Felix is more embittered--but otherwise, it appears that Dee's death was the furthest thing from anyone's mind.
Old January 24 2009, 05:59 PM   #67
Magic_Al
Captain

They said the Cylon FTL can double or triple their range. Adama is worried about finding a habitable planet. Every planet they've found in all these years has been crap (even New Caprica kinda sucked), so you can see why he might be worried that they'll run out of gas, food, or air before they get anywhere.
Old January 24 2009, 06:20 PM   #68
flavaflav
Commander

below average
we're back to emo bitch season 3 crap. oh joy. at least terminator comes back on in a couple weeks.
Old January 24 2009, 06:35 PM   #69
Scout101
Admiral

another below average for me. With only a few episodes left, and SO MANY questions to answer, to waste one of the final 10 episodes with this crap is disappointing. Nothing really new in this one, just retread of old ground. The VP is STILL a dick, the fuel ship has rebelled again, and Gaeta is more of a dick. Better pick up the pace if they are going to have anything near a decent resolution to any of this. Adding more crap isn't needed, plenty of the old crap to have to answer first.

Only 'new' bit was the Admiral and Prez finally getting it done. Toyed around with it a while, but apparently it took a suicidal breakdown on her part, and him basically not caring about his job anymore, before they could give in to something that had been obvious since early in the show...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 24 2009, 06:38 PM   #70
ialfan
Fleet Captain

After watching the episode a second time I think I've realized what I didn't like about it. It's too short. There are so many main characters left it's impossible to adequately give them all screentime in 43 minutes. I mean you've got Adama, Roslin, Helo, Athena, Boomer, Lee, Kara, Gaeta, Baltar, Caprica, Tory, Anders, and Tigh. That's not even counting recurring characters such as Zarek, Hotdog, Racetrack, Cavil, Leoben, Three, etc. It kind of makes me annoyed they are bringing Romo Lampkin back in another 2 episodes with so little time left to so many characters.

This show really should be 90 minute long instead of an hour an episode.
Old January 24 2009, 06:40 PM   #71
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed something in the last year, but when did Tigh become the doting dad? Wasn't he raping the blonde Cylon while she was in jail? And now the sexual abuser and his victim are bonding over the unborn child they've somehow created? I don't get it.
Tigh never raped Six. It was completely consensual. She actually initiated it by acting as if she were Ellen.
Old January 24 2009, 06:53 PM   #72
TheOnes
Lieutenant

ialfan wrote: View Post
After watching the episode a second time I think I've realized what I didn't like about it. It's too short. There are so many main characters left it's impossible to adequately give them all screentime in 43 minutes. I mean you've got Adama, Roslin, Helo, Athena, Boomer, Lee, Kara, Gaeta, Baltar, Caprica, Tory, Anders, and Tigh. That's not even counting recurring characters such as Zarek, Hotdog, Racetrack, Cavil, Leoben, Three, etc. It kind of makes me annoyed they are bringing Romo Lampkin back in another 2 episodes with so little time left to so many characters.

This show really should be 90 minute long instead of an hour an episode.
Well good news, Ron Moores podcast for this ep states that it will be extended on the dvd
Old January 24 2009, 06:59 PM   #73
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Well that certainly is good news however is anyone else remembering reading in an interview that all of the last ten episodes would be longer (on air) than a regular 44-minute episode? Last week was and I was kind of suprised to see this one only the normal length.
Old January 24 2009, 07:03 PM   #74
TheOnes
Lieutenant

ialfan wrote: View Post
Well that certainly is good news however is anyone else remembering reading in an interview that all of the last ten episodes would be longer (on air) than a regular 44-minute episode? Last week was and I was kind of suprised to see this one only the normal length.
I seem to recall that in that article, it was stated that the producers were asking Sci Fi to give them more air time. I never saw anywhere where it was confirmed that Sci Fi accepted, so odd's are those requests were denied. However we may find that each one of these episodes will be extended for the dvd instead of the odd one they had more footage for.
Old January 24 2009, 07:05 PM   #75
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Well last week's was extended by four minutes so with luck that'll happen again.