Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 40 21.05%
Above Average 84 44.21%
Average 47 24.74%
Below Average 14 7.37%
Poor 5 2.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 24 2009, 04:52 AM   #46
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

RJHJ wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I'm surprised so few people identify with Gaeta's position. Although some of what he said to Starbuck was uncalled for, bred of ignorance of how the Final Five are different from the other Cylons, his beef with the Roslin/Adama administration is legit enough. They were promised a future on Earth. Instead, they got jack shit, and are now getting an alliance with the Cylons shoved down their throats. Although we've had a deeper look at what's been going on with the Cylons, most people in the fleet haven't, and only know the Cylons as the brutal monsters that virtually wiped out humanity. Gaeta, going by the webisodes, has even more personal reasons for hating them.

At this point, where can he put his faith and trust? He became disillusioned with Baltar on New Caprica. Cylons cost him many friends, and a leg. Adama and Roslin failed to deliver on their promises, and cost him yet another friend. Zarek would be looking pretty good right about now, as a man with a vision and the ambition to make it happen.
I identify with his position. But he still needs airlock. He's gotten annoying.
I don't see him surviving much longer, either. Even though he's right, you don't go making enemies out of the show's stars if you want to live.
Old January 24 2009, 05:03 AM   #47
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

It's funny. Zarek is correct but clearly the wrong man for the job. Adama is a good man but in the wrong. It's a nice way of throwing things on their head.

This episode is not at all what I expected it to be but that's okay because it was a good one. Above average, especially for a setup episode. It was both sad and frustrating watching Laura go through all of that pain but at the same time I was hoping she'd step up to the plate. She always made sure that she was in control and threw many people out of her way but now that things have gone bad she wants out.

Next week's looks damn intense. I'm guessing there'll be a death.
Old January 24 2009, 05:29 AM   #48
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I'm surprised so few people identify with Gaeta's position. Although some of what he said to Starbuck was uncalled for, bred of ignorance of how the Final Five are different from the other Cylons, his beef with the Roslin/Adama administration is legit enough. They were promised a future on Earth. Instead, they got jack shit, and are now getting an alliance with the Cylons shoved down their throats. Although we've had a deeper look at what's been going on with the Cylons, most people in the fleet haven't, and only know the Cylons as the brutal monsters that virtually wiped out humanity. Gaeta, going by the webisodes, has even more personal reasons for hating them.

At this point, where can he put his faith and trust? He became disillusioned with Baltar on New Caprica. Cylons cost him many friends, and a leg. Adama and Roslin failed to deliver on their promises, and cost him yet another friend. Zarek would be looking pretty good right about now, as a man with a vision and the ambition to make it happen.

and it shows what a weak person Gaeta is. He is a follower, not a leader. He is pretty pathetic, he wants everyone else to solve his problems or blame his problems on.

-Chris
Old January 24 2009, 05:30 AM   #49
cbspock
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post

Next week's looks damn intense. I'm guessing there'll be a death.

I think Adama has a bullet with Gaeta's name on it.

-Chris
Old January 24 2009, 05:34 AM   #50
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

cbspock wrote: View Post
and it shows what a weak person Gaeta is. He is a follower, not a leader. He is pretty pathetic, he wants everyone else to solve his problems or blame his problems on.
No, Gaeta took co-command of the insurrection there are the end. He stepped up to the plate which, sadly, is more than we can say for most of our main characters.
Old January 24 2009, 05:48 AM   #51
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Average with a few above average moments.

I found tonight's episode to be the kind of show that is competently written for the most part but isn't very satisfying as entertainment. This is one of those aftermath shows that come off after a Big Premiere and while the reactions and fallout are plausible and realistic it just didn't seem very compelling. And as the second episode in a 10 episode arc heading into the show's sendoff I have to say it was lacking.

I've never found Zarek a particularly engaging adversary. Gaeta reminded me why I think he is such an annoying character now he is an annoying rat. We revisit Baltar's cult which I haven't found the least bit interesting all season. The only thing I took away away from it worthwhile was the fact that his flock is no longer comprised of just his whacky followers but now includes disillusioned military and I'm sure down the road it is going to play into the larger storylines but for now I'm cold to it. Tyrol finds out he isn't Nicky's father and therefore isn't a Cylon--okay-- maybe it will go somewhere but for now it was just sorta "there". And while we didn't explore Starbuck's mystery of resurrection, I did appreciate the scene she had. Understandably she is frustrated and scared by last week's discovery and just wants to be left alone. That was well done.

I also liked the hint of a revolt fomenting and nice, but hardly groundbreaking, was the confirmation Roslin and Adama are lovers.

I guess I just prefer my shows to be a tad more balanced with respect to plot and character work. I guess that's why I like LOST so much more than BSG.

And on a sidenote, the show really should try to let a dramatic scene stand on its own. Many times it feels like the director wants to spotlight a dramaric scene that screams "DRAMATIC SCENE IN PROGRESS" and as such comes off as intrusive and unnatural.
Old January 24 2009, 05:58 AM   #52
omnirad
Lieutenant Commander

I liked how Adama kept picking trash up off the floor, as a sign of the deteriorating morale and his blase reaction to it.

Old January 24 2009, 07:05 AM   #53
Snaploud
Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Tyrol finds out he isn't Nicky's father and therefore isn't a Cylon--okay-- maybe it will go somewhere but for now it was just sorta "there".
I assume that the writers are giving Tyrol the freedom to live with the rest of the Cylons for a while (as well as getting into a new--or old--Cylon-Cylon relationship).
Old January 24 2009, 08:12 AM   #54
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

This one was a bit off. The stuff with Zarek and Gaeta was great... and Baltar turning on his message was awesome.

Everything else was a bit dull... and/or a bit strange.

I guess they retconned Tyrol's son... according the the Crossroads podcast he was intended to be a hybrid child. And hot dog? Funny, and I always did think he should have more of a role - but also kind of lame.

The president's behaviour seemed a little strange as well... I mean I get what they are trying to do but I don't really find it to be in character.

And that scene at the start with Tigh and six with the ultrasound fell totally flat with me. The attempted humour with Cottle seemed forced and Tigh just didn't seem in character for some reason.

And Tyrol suddenly identifying himself with the Cylons with no on screen progression to that place was well... sudden.

Anyway - mediocre set up episode that of course had lots of good stuff, as any BSG episode will naturally have. Average.

Look forward to next week.
Old January 24 2009, 08:14 AM   #55
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
At this point I really hope the 5th isn't Ellen, I want it to be Geata now
It's Ellen. Accept it.
Old January 24 2009, 08:26 AM   #56
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I almost find myself wondering if anything happened behind the scenes for Cally to get crapped on so harshly with a terrible death episode and now this junk with Hot Dog.

And when Zarek was talking about acts of courage starting revolutions, I thought Gaeta was going to off him right there so he'd be the martyr Adama was afraid of.
Old January 24 2009, 12:52 PM   #57
Hermiod
Admiral

I gave this an Excellent.

Alessandro Juliani and Richard Hatch really brought it in this episode.
Old January 24 2009, 02:37 PM   #58
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I gave it an excellent, it was a very good episode. However, I have a problem with Hotdog being the father of Cally's kid. In the episode where she died, it seemed to me she was going to kill the kid because it was half Cylon. But she knew it wasn't half Cylon according to the Doc. I'm confused.

I'm also not reading spoilers, so I love being suprised. No more spoilers for me.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old January 24 2009, 02:50 PM   #59
Jax
Admiral

Above Average...

Love the civil war that is brewing and I guess that could potentialy be the final nail in the coffin for the Human race. Adama/President together at last was a nice touch and Felix has a role now so yay for him.

However I don't like the cally thing, its the final episodes I don't want to have to watch family soap plots. Also the preview gave away the ship would jump away from the fleet so they need to hide the plot better when they do the intro credits.

Is anyone else bored by Baltar now ? he has no role anymore since hes not the 5th Cylon, he's just a twit with a microphone.
Old January 24 2009, 02:58 PM   #60
flux_29
Commodore

I suppose this explains Tyrol holding a knife at the last supper, the knife symbolizing "betrayal", or "stabbed in the back" by Cally.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)