RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 585
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 40 21.05%
Above Average 84 44.21%
Average 47 24.74%
Below Average 14 7.37%
Poor 5 2.63%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27 2009, 04:58 AM   #136
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x12: "A Disquiet Follows My Soul"

What, you mean the whole "mutiny" thing?

Yeah, I can see why they'd prefer to keep the circumstances surrounding the shooting to themselves.
Old January 27 2009, 07:24 AM   #137
FKnight
Commander

anti-matter wrote: View Post
This doom and gloom was inevitable but could have been diminished with some steady leadership from Laura. So I would place any blame with the President…Laura now has to either lead, follow or get out of the way. Even if TZ becomes the Pres...it doesn't matter.

Adama imo was wrong to ignore the quorum and solely make the decision to start a new mission with the skin jobs as allies so he brought this mutiny on himself.
IMO, I believe Lee needs to seriously step up right now and put everyone in their place. Romo needs to show up, pull a gun on Lee, make him open a bag full of Jake, whereapon Lee goes "Oh Gods, you gotta be fracking kidding me!" and Romo gives him a kick in the ass to lead The Fleet.

You are absolutely right and I think this episode is a great example of what happens to a society when there is no leadership.
Old January 27 2009, 07:28 AM   #138
Gregsmack
Captain

FKnight wrote: View Post
IMO, I believe Lee needs to seriously step up right now and put everyone in their place. Romo needs to show up, pull a gun on Lee, make him open a bag full of Jake, whereapon Lee goes "Oh Gods, you gotta be fracking kidding me!" and Romo gives him a kick in the ass to lead The Fleet.
Old January 27 2009, 08:41 AM   #139
Snaploud
Admiral

Why is everybody assuming that Tyrol "abandoned" the baby? All he did was leave Hotdog alone with it for a while. Hotdog needs to do some bonding, and Tyrol said that he would return for another "shift" later. Obviously, they can't have a serious conversation about living arrangements until Hotdog has some time to get used to the situation. Yes, it seems likely that Tyrol is not going to be the primary caregiver, but we don't know that for certain. And we have a hint that he'll at least be around to help out.
Old January 27 2009, 02:02 PM   #140
Seven of Five
Commodore

I've only wathced the episode once but in the scene where Hotdog asks how long he should stay, Tyrol says 'I'll be back when I'm sober' (or words to that effect). To me it just seemed like he was ditching the kid who has been essentially his with someone he doesn't know very well, in order to drink. It seemed harsh when I first saw it, especially when you take into accound Tyrol accepting his Cylonicity in the episode. Nicky is his last human link, will he end up severing that totally?

Like I said though, only seen it once. Might interpret it differently next time.
Old January 27 2009, 02:05 PM   #141
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

I thought he was already drunk at the time and was going away to sober up, not to get drunk and then sober up afterwards.

But I could have been wrong.
Old January 27 2009, 05:06 PM   #142
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Seven Of Five wrote: View Post
I've only wathced the episode once but in the scene where Hotdog asks how long he should stay, Tyrol says 'I'll be back when I'm sober' (or words to that effect). To me it just seemed like he was ditching the kid who has been essentially his with someone he doesn't know very well, in order to drink.
I definitely got the impression that he was saying "I'll be back when I'm back, deal with it," but not necessarily ditching the kid. He's just throwing the new dad into the deep end.
Old January 27 2009, 09:03 PM   #143
Harvey
Admiral

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
I thought he was already drunk at the time and was going away to sober up, not to get drunk and then sober up afterwards.

But I could have been wrong.
That was my impression. I mean, he could have just been upset when he first confronted Hot Dog, but I had the impression that he was intoxicated, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old January 27 2009, 09:23 PM   #144
Seven of Five
Commodore

Rats. If I misunderstood I'll have to watch again. *What* a shame.

I hope we see more of Hotdog anyway, regardless of Tyrol's recent parenting decisions.
Old January 27 2009, 11:51 PM   #145
Starwind
Fleet Captain

It was my impression he wasn't ditching the kid, that he was drunk right now and needed to go sleep it off. Leaving him with Hotdog allowed him to do that. I might have done the same.
Old January 28 2009, 12:32 AM   #146
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

I actually enjoyed this episode primarily because it leads up to a very interesting series of events ...

Firstly, Tom Zarek's role as the official opposition to the Roslin/Adama Administration and the justified concerns raised made for an interesting dynamic in the RTF. After all the Vice President of the Twelve Colonies (or rather what's left of them) is only questioning the wisdom of allowing the same Clyons that murdered 50 Billion people on to your homes to (allegedly) modify the jump engines, which after all are the only way to avoid being blown to pieces by the other Clyons that are out there.
To many of the Colonials this may be, as the Admiral once said, a trap!

It is also true that power in the fleet is too heavily concentrated in the Adama family (at least from the outside) and that there is no clear way forward from the leadership except for " lets find another planet to live on".
Given what happened the last time, this may not reassure most people.

So really there is a Rhyme and Reason for both Geata's bitterness and contempt and TZ's imminent revolution.

Also Baltar's rant againist God suits the mood of utter despair and anger in the Fleet which is going to blow up in Adama's face very shortly...

Old January 28 2009, 02:50 AM   #147
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I liked that Moore in his interview was quick to agree that Zarek's points are strong and his concerns sensible ones. It's so much more fun when the "bad guys" may be right.
Old January 28 2009, 04:40 AM   #148
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I liked that Moore in his interview was quick to agree that Zarek's points are strong and his concerns sensible ones. It's so much more fun when the "bad guys" may be right.
It's ballsy, that's for sure. You won't see CSI doing that.
Old January 28 2009, 12:05 PM   #149
Stewey
Rear Admiral

I really liked this episode, the scene between Felix and Starbuck was excellent as was the stirrings of the innevitable insurrection that will no doubt be occuring in the next episodes. I particularly liked the scenes between Adama and Roslin and it was quite brave for them to portray it how it was depicted on screen.

The Baltar scene was also quite good and consistent with his character, I thought it would be innevitable after the let down of seeing Earth in the state it was that he would start to question his faith in god. As for the Cally and Tyrol situation, I think it was necessary for the writers to address the issue of the child given that there was so much conflict surrounding the child Hera.

And once again, Almos' acting in this was was just fantastic, making the very mundane as interesting and dramatic to see as events like the adama rescue from new caprica. I don't think it tops his performance last week where Adama confronted Saul.

I'm just loving this show.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
Old January 28 2009, 04:04 PM   #150
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It's ballsy, that's for sure. You won't see CSI doing that.
For some reason last evening the old TNG episode "The Most Toys" crossed my mind - the one where (spoiler alert for the terminally behind the times) Data pulls the trigger on that weapon just as he's being transported. Then he makes some excuse about an "accident during transport."

It would have been far more memorable and satisfying had he actually killed the guy. The cheat in that case was rescue Data from the consequences of his anger.