Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 26 2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Verteron
Rear Admiral

Hello! Another theory on the five and Starbuck (spoilers)

Now BSG has started up again I really ought to participate more here again. So I will! There are a couple of theory-type threads floating around here, I'd like to share my current thinking, sorry if something really similar has done the rounds before, but here we go:

Before the break, I came down quite heavily on the "Fifth is Starbuck's daddy" theory which I saw here and discussed with some friends. Now clearly that's not the case. But we still need to explain Starbuck's resurrection, and I think the easiest way by far to dig up another theory that was mentioned around these parts last year by some:

THEY'RE ALL CYLONS.

I know it sounds a bit cliched, but the more I think of it, the more it seems to make sense for the following key reasons. First some terminology:

Humans: the ancient humans of Earth
Old-Cylons: the Cylons created by the humans of Earth
Colonials: the folks we know and love
New-Cylons: the recently created skinjobs

- Bones on Earth were identified as 'Cylon', specifically, Old-Cylons. This, however, is from the POV of a Colonial and/or New-Cylon. My hypothesis is that the Colonials are actually the descendants of Old-Cylons, the cylons created on Earth, not descendants of humans from Earth or from Kobol at all. Kobol may, in fact, be the Old-Cylons home world. The biochemistry of the bones is in fact pure original Human, but because the Colonials are so used to thinking of themselves as the humans, and the New-Cylons as synthetic, their tests threw up false positives (more on this later).

- The Old-Cylons destroyed the humans of Earth in a war, much the same as the destruction of the Twelve Colonies.

- The New-Cylon skinjobs were actually created with the original human biochemistry (or something very close to it). The template came down via genetic memory unconsciously passed from the toasters' creators to the toasters who then created the skinjobs, or possibly via unseen manipulation of the final five.

- The Final Five are now more easily explained. They are the original five models of Old-Cylon skinjob. They are the ancestors of the colonial race. Their genetic template has been passed down through the generations, as has some of their memories in genetic form, waiting for them to be reborn, laying dormant.

- Cyclical history, "all this has happened before, all this has happened again" fits well with this notion. Man creates Cylon. Cylon creates Man. etc. ad infinitum.

- The reason the New-Cylon skinjobs are monotheistic is because they're actually more similar to us than the Colonials, who are more predisposed to their polytheistic beliefs (I know this is horribly insensitive to the half of us who aren't followers of the Abrahamic religions, but this is American TV, right?).

- Starbuck, being a Old-Cylon descendant, just as all the colonials are, was reincarnated by latent resurrection technology on Earth, created for or by the Final Five. Perhaps the tech works a little differently (explaining her rebuilt fighter), but it's quite similar in principle to New-Cylon resurrection technology.

The last thought is 'why'?

Why would the Final Five wish to be reincarnated after 2000 years in this manner? I believe the answer may be 'guilt'. Just as the New-Cylons of today are now guilty about destroying the colonies, so were the Old-Cylons at killing their masters. They are the unseen hands behind the creation of the new skinjobs (they may not even know it yet) who are actually modelled after their fallen human masters -- their attempt after everything else has been lost to history to 'put things right'.

Or perhaps I'm just smoking crack.

Thoughts?
Old January 26 2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Scout101
Admiral

Re: Hello! Another theory on the five and Starbuck (spoilers)

all sounds reasonable, and as likely as anything. Half scared that they'll pick something that makes less sense as the 'answer', however...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 26 2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Worf
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes I thought pretty much the same thing after watching first new episode of the final 10.
Old January 26 2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Worf wrote: View Post
Yes I thought pretty much the same thing after watching first new episode of the final 10.
yupyup Same here... Soon as it was over i was like.. So they are all cylons..
Old January 28 2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Worf
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the reason the 7 Cylons cannot reproduce is the whole cloning effect from resurrection ship. The Colonials never realized they were Cylons and did not have replicating issues. Again just a theory and I guess we will all know after 8 more episodes.
Old January 28 2009, 05:44 PM   #6
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

That's pretty close to the theory I posted on my blog, although I described the final five's Earth based resurrection technology as "primitive/flawed" because it causes memory loss (witness Tigh, Tyrol, Anders, Tori as well as Starbuck not remembering Earth).