RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 462
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old January 26 2009, 12:39 AM   #1
nx1701g
Admiral

If it had happened (Season 2 Pegasus Arc)

I was just thinking about something when reading through the storyline about Starbuck and Cain. In the Resurrection Ship two parter Cain issued orders to Fisk to kill Adama and Adama issued orders to Starbuck to kill Cain. My question is if that had happened and both Adama and Cain were killed who would have taken command of the fleet?
Old January 26 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: If it had happened (Season 2 Pegasus Arc)

Good question. Personally, I think somebody from Pegasus since I'm guessing she would have taken Galactica down no matter who was commanding Galactica had both Commanders been shot.
Old January 26 2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Well, the highest-ranking remaining officers would have been Colonel Tigh and Colonel Fisk. I don't know what the Colonial Fleet does if they have two officers of the same rank. Maybe they go by length of service?

Anyway, Fisk seemed to be a very weak man in many ways. He followed orders, even if they were questionable, without any capability to resist or say no. And when he finally gained the command of the Pegasus himself he had no other use for it than for his personal advantage (the black market thing). All in all, he probably wasn't even a bad leader, he was no leader at all. And Fisk was succeeded by Garner, so the guy "next in line" wasn't any better. As far as Tigh is concerned... well, he was a bad leader, but at least he was some sort of leader (early S2). But neither were very exceptional or ambitious officers.

So, I'd say that it would have put Roslin in a very strong position as leader of the fleet. Maybe Tigh would have been promoted by her to Admiral, while Fisk would have become Commander of the Pegasus. And maybe Lee Adama as Tigh's XO?

The more interesting question is what had happened in Galactica's CIC if Fisk just had Bill Adama killed. Assuming that Tigh survives this mess and manages to be still in control of the ship afterwards, what prevents him from showing Fisk the next airlock? And assuming that both Tigh and Fisk would have remained alive and in control of their ships, both officers would have had very strained relationship.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; January 26 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old January 26 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Roslin would've thrown everyone out the airlock and taken command.
Old January 26 2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Let's play the scenario through:

1) Starbuck shoots Cain on Pegasus.

2) Fisk's Marines shoot Adama and take control of Galactica's CIC.

3) Starbuck is overhelmed and disarmed by Pegasus' CIC crew.

4) Fisk tries to reach Cain on Pegasus and is informed by Mr. Hoshi that Cain has just been killed. Fisk is stunned and has no clue what do next.

5) Tigh promises Fisk that he's gonna hang for this.

6) Helpless Fisk argues that he was just following orders. Then he and his men stand down and are arrested by Galactica personnel. They're brought to the brig.

7) As soon as Roslin hears what has happened, she comes on board of Galactica.

8) Tigh and Roslin have a meeting. Tigh wants to have Fisk executed. (Meanwhile, Hoshi is probably still in command of Pegasus).

9) Roslin somehow manages to convince Tigh to postpone Fisk's rendezvous with the airlock until this whole mess is sorted out.

10) What's next?
Old January 26 2009, 08:15 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

I just remembered something else that could play a part to hold Tigh back. Pegasus happened only - in character - a short time after his disastrous command of the Bucket after Adama was shot. What happened with the Marines on the Gideon could still haunt him at that time.
Old January 26 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Strider
Fleet Captain

If I recall correctly, Cain's orders were to terminate Adama's command, beginning with Adama himself. The way her orders were phrased made me think that the Razors were intended to kill Tigh and a number of other officers as well. The Pegasus marines would likely have taken and held the CIC on Galactica. How Galactica's crew would have responded is what would determine how the situation would have played out.
Old January 26 2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Strider wrote: View Post
If I recall correctly, Cain's orders were to terminate Adama's command, beginning with Adama himself. The way her orders were phrased made me think that the Razors were intended to kill Tigh and a number of other officers as well. The Pegasus marines would likely have taken and held the CIC on Galactica. How Galactica's crew would have responded is what would determine how the situation would have played out.
In that case Fisk would theoretically be in command... the question is for how long. With nobody giving him orders, he wouldn't know what to do next. He's worse a commander than Tigh was in early Season 2. I guess either Fisk gives up his command voluntarily or he is quickly deposed by a mutiny of Galactica's crew.

He and his few marines wouldn't control CIC for long anyway... they're pretty much outnumbered and Galactica's crew would be really pissed if they found out that Adama has just been killed by him. So, Galactica's crew takes back CIC and either arrests or kills Fisk.

This would probably put Roslin in an ever stronger position as fleet leader.

Highest-ranking remaining officers:
- Engineer Garner (who presumably helds the rank of major or colonel at this point)
- Capt. Kelly (served as Tigh's XO in early Season 2)
- Capt. Kara Thrace (who should better be transferred to Galactica before she gets revenge-raped/killed by Pegasus' crew)
- Capt. Kendra Shaw
- Capt. Taylor (Pegasus' former CAG)
- Lt. Lee Adama (who could quickly promoted again, as it has actually happened in the series after Cain's death)

Assuming that Fisk is either killed or permanently removed from the chain of command, Garner would probably become commander of the Pegasus and Kelly would become commander of the Galactica. Starbuck, Apollo, Shaw, and maybe Taylor would be candidates for the XO spots. (However, Garner didn't like Shaw very much and had her assigned to kitchen duty... and like I said, it's better to put Starbuck back on Galactica).

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; January 26 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 27 2009, 11:34 AM   #9
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

Another variant: what if Adama kills Cain via Kara, but Fisk for some reason, messes it up. Maybe Kara shoots Cain (perhaps become aware of what Cain intended for Adama) before she can call Fisk to what to do.

What would Pegasus crew would have done? They weren't too fond of Galatica crew during "Black Market", and other S2 episodes...

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Old January 27 2009, 02:57 PM   #10
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Do you mean Adama ordered Starbuck to kill Cain before Cain could order Fisk to do the same or that Fisk screwed up the orders and wasn't told to execute the plan?

I could see Fisk opening fire anyway. His ambition would get the better of him (we did see him as a figurehead of the Black Market in the episode in which he was killed).
Old January 27 2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Do you mean Adama ordered Starbuck to kill Cain before Cain could order Fisk to do the same or that Fisk screwed up the orders and wasn't told to execute the plan?

I could see Fisk opening fire anyway. His ambition would get the better of him (we did see him as a figurehead of the Black Market in the episode in which he was killed).
I wouldn't characterize Fisk as "ambitious"... after all he was probably appointed XO by Cain because he'd follow any orders without questioning them (in contrast to Cain's original XO). Also, he was much older than either Cain or Cain's original XO, but still only third-in-command of the ship. This implies that he hasn't had a very stellar career in the Fleet. As for the black market thing... this only shows how lazy, decadent, and corrupt he is. Instead of fulfilling his duty as ship commander, he is only interested in how much alcohol and tobacco he can get his hands on.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; January 27 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old January 27 2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

You know there is one thing I would like to point out, Adama called first so if he went through with it Cain would have been killed before she could order Fisk to off Adama.
Old January 27 2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I would also point out that Fisk seemed quite relieved in "Resurrection Ship, Part 2", when Cain didn't give the order over the phone. So he wouldn't have done anything on his own. But I assume he would never tell Adama or Tigh what his original orders were either.

So if Starbuck had killed Cain without any opportunity for the latter to give her order to Fisk, Fisk would simply have left it at that and accepted his promotion to Commander of Pegasus. I guess Fisk would always swim with the current.
Old January 27 2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
I would also point out that Fisk seemed quite relieved in "Resurrection Ship, Part 2", when Cain didn't give the order over the phone. So he wouldn't have done anything on his own. But I assume he would never tell Adama or Tigh what his original orders were either.

So if Starbuck had killed Cain without any opportunity for the latter to give her order to Fisk, Fisk would simply have left it at that and accepted his promotion to Commander of Pegasus. I guess Fisk would always swim with the current.
I other words only a slighty change in how things played out an possibly a major one in regards to Kara.
Old January 27 2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I other words only a slighty change in how things played out an possibly a major one in regards to Kara.
Who knows, she could have been killed in the heat of the moment. However, at least Garner and Hoshi seem to be reasonable enough man to simply put Starbuck into the brig and decide what to do with her later... if she had survived the first seconds after Cain's assasination.

However, Starbuck was "just followed orders." Roslin and Adama could have tried to retroactively make Cain's assassination pseudo-legal, with Roslin signing a presidential executive order terminating Admiral Cain's command... starting with Admiral Cain. The moment Roslin and Adama were made aware of what had happened to that other Civilian fleet, Cain became a clear and present danger to the survival of the Colonial government. Strictly speaking, we could argue that Roslin is the commander-in-chief in a time of war... "regulations give her broad authority in this matter". So it was merely a "black ops". The Quorum has probably the authority to impeach the president if they have a problem with that (doubt that though).

Of course it's possible that some Pegasus crew-members would gave a frak about this justification.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; January 27 2009 at 08:27 PM.