July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 25 2009, 01:01 AM   #91
ancient
Vice Admiral

Re: First Clear Picture of the Narada *Warning: Spoilers*

As is, that toy looks about as fun to play with as a pet porcupine.

I like the design and all but as a toy....POINTY!
Old January 25 2009, 08:28 PM   #92
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I think the ship's massive dimensions will look really impressive on-screen, since it's supposed to dwarf the USS Kelvin and other 23rd century ships many, many times over. Even fugly/weird designs can look pretty badass when they're immense and made to appear more alien by their sheer size.

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 11:08 PM   #93
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Even fugly/weird designs can look pretty badass when they're immense and made to appear more alien by their sheer size.
Finally, an explanation for TMP's running time!
Old January 25 2009, 11:19 PM   #94
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Even fugly/weird designs can look pretty badass when they're immense and made to appear more alien by their sheer size.
BONGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
Old January 26 2009, 02:06 PM   #95
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

OK...

This does not look like any sort of mechanism. However, it does look reasonably "visually cool" (which, unfortunately, seems to be the whole point of all of the art direction in this flick).

It, as has been pointed out, takes cues from the ENT Romulan drone ship design, rather than any TOS or TNG-era Romulan ideas.

I can live with it, for what it is... a mining ship. Presumably, these are various detachable/deployable elements? Maybe it's intended to "mine" gas giants?

I'm not "happy" with it but I can deal with it. Unlike the new Fed props and 1701.

Klingon Empire wrote: View Post

I saw this at Wizard Universe
And THAT looks like something from Galaxy Quest
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 07:35 PM   #96
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
OK...

This does not look like any sort of mechanism. However, it does look reasonably "visually cool" (which, unfortunately, seems to be the whole point of all of the art direction in this flick).

It, as has been pointed out, takes cues from the ENT Romulan drone ship design, rather than any TOS or TNG-era Romulan ideas.

I can live with it, for what it is... a mining ship. Presumably, these are various detachable/deployable elements? Maybe it's intended to "mine" gas giants?

I'm not "happy" with it but I can deal with it. Unlike the new Fed props and 1701.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/takan...rek/narada.jpg

Click.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 09:08 PM   #97
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
BONGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

-Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 10:58 PM   #98
Darth_Pinche
Captain

I sure hope that this is a photo for the toy and not the actual ship. Otherwise we'll have a Spinal Tap Stonehenge moment...

Nero : Fuck the napkin!!! it is kallicams not inches!!!
Old January 27 2009, 04:59 AM   #99
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
That sounds like it harms the franchise. If any producers have gone to Paramount with an interest in making a new Trek series, a failed Trek XI will shut down any chance they have. That's harm to the franchise.
Pitches for a new ST film would be made to Paramount.

Pitches for a new ST series would be made to CBS TV.
Thanks! I appreciate the clarification, but I don't see how it's relevant to my point.

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post

You're assuming a lot that, given the current landscape, is so hypothetical as to be meaningless.

"The chance of another Trek movie..."
"If any producers have gone to Paramount..." (this one presumes willing, even eager folk at Paramount who'd give any Trek TV pitch the time of day)

Look, the Franchise is dead right now in terms of TV and film production. You're right that Paramount was "willing to risk a lot of money" on this film because they were able to get people who they think will make a successful and profitable film.

If those people can't make Trek profitable for the studio, it's a given that there won't be any more Trek production soon.

So, if this movie bombs "Star Trek" is exactly where it was before - dead in the water - and this movie becomes just the latest in a long trail of evidence that "Star Trek" is no longer worth investing money in for Paramount.

So no, this movie doesn't harm "Star Trek" no matter what - because no one was interested in making more "Star Trek" before (sorry, but the "Tiberius Chase" nonsense was just that - some producers who were on their way off the lot trying to interest the studio in something that no one at the studio was going to get interested in).

You can hypothesize all you want about how someone else might have created that perfect "Star Trek" movie that you both like and that makes the studio a pile of money, but it's just fantasizing.

Like Picard said to Data in "The Neutral Zone:" "They were already dead. What more could have happened to them?"

On TV and in the movies, "Star Trek" was dead before Abrams. If it's dead again afterward, no harm has been done. The risk here is a financial one, to Paramount and its partners, for possibly throwing good money after bad by trying to resurrect something that's passe. No risk to "Star Trek" at all.
Two years ago, Paramount thought it worth the risk to invest in a new Star Trek movie. Therefore Star Trek wasn't dead. Star Trek is only dead as long as its owners are afraid to contribute a dime to new films or shows. Abrams' production could very well reinvigorate the franchise, but if the rest of the movie is as crappy as its art direction, I suspect the effect will be quite the reverse. After a failed series and two failed movies in a row, there will be a generation of execs at Paramount studios who view the franchise as a third rail for their careers. Maybe it still won't be quite dead, but it'll be a helluva lot worse off than it is today.

I keep hoping it'll turn out not like "Galaxy Quest", but like "Fifth Element", a goofy, fun adventure that sucked as science fiction, but nevertheless worked as a movie and proved fairly successful. Fans can take it or leave it as a parallel reality, and future movies might go in any number of directions.
Old January 28 2009, 03:49 PM   #100
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote:
On TV and in the movies, "Star Trek" was dead before Abrams.

Two years ago, Paramount thought it worth the risk to invest in a new Star Trek movie. Therefore Star Trek wasn't dead.

You didn't say anything different, you just rephrased it. Hair-splitting.

I honestly don't care whether Trek continues or not, unless they're going to make something entertaining and different - in fact if they're going to continually genuflect to what's come before and keep doing the same-old/same-old I'd sooner they retire it or sell it to another studio in exchange for some magic beans. If this movie tanks and Trek returns to the netherworld of dead properties to which Paramount had consigned it prior to this reboot, it's no big deal. Excited as I am by what Abrams is doing, though, I hope that this version will be a big success.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 07:56 PM   #101
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote:

Two years ago, Paramount thought it worth the risk to invest in a new Star Trek movie. Therefore Star Trek wasn't dead.

You didn't say anything different, you just rephrased it. Hair-splitting.
Hair-splitting? Mr. Bailey, if you were my doctor, you'd listen to my heart through a stethoscope and pronounce me dead between each beat. What was it, two years after Enterprise was canceled before Abrams got the go-ahead for his film? The franchise was no more dead then than it was between the movies back in the eighties. "Star Trek was dead before Abrams." Really, you give the man too much credit. He just had enough of a name to renew corporate interest in the franchise a little earlier than it would have anyway. Look at the Batman and Superman franchises ... they went decades between new movies, and you're penning the obituary for Trek because nothing was done in a two year hiatus?

Unlike you, I do care whether Star Trek continues. Whenever the familiar fanfare plays over the Paramount logo in a movie I haven't seen before, my heart skips a beat and there's a little extra moisture in my eyes. I like the characters and I like the setting. I love the picture of an optimistic future Star Trek represents. And I love seeing the Enterprise kick ass and come out on top ... even if it doesn't actually fire a shot. I'd just prefer it doesn't keep getting watered-down with flakier and flakier notions of what looks good on screen. I'd also like to see some serious, hard SF in a Star Trek movie now and then, instead of the slide into techno-babble fantasy that became Voyager's hallmark (although that was certainly never unique to Voyager). This is why I've been careful to couch most of my criticisms of the upcoming movie in terms of the art direction. What I see there simply isn't believable, nor is it especially iconographic of something that could be believable if they had a bigger budget and a glimpse of what the 23rd Century will really look like. But that's absolutely no reflection of the writing, acting, soundtrack, or cinematography, and I dearly hope the movie shines brighter in those categories than it does in the art direction. If it doesn't, then there's a real chance I'll never enjoy that swell in my chest and sigh of satisfaction I've come to love at a fresh premier.
Old January 28 2009, 08:19 PM   #102
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

What was it, two years after Enterprise was canceled before Abrams got the go-ahead for his film? The franchise was no more dead then than it was between the movies back in the eighties.
I think Dennis's point may have been that never before had a Trek series been canceled, a film been a box-office failure and the creative staff laid off all at the same time. That sounds fairly dead to me.
Old January 28 2009, 08:22 PM   #103
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

What was it, two years after Enterprise was canceled before Abrams got the go-ahead for his film? The franchise was no more dead then than it was between the movies back in the eighties.
I think Dennis's point may have been that never before had a Trek series been canceled, a film been a box-office failure and the creative staff laid off all at the same time. That sounds fairly dead to me.
Or if some don't like altogether dead, at least dead in the form that it had existed up until that point.
Enter a fresh, reimagined approach whose success or failure remains to be seen.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 08:37 PM   #104
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I may be late to the party, but I just want to point this clip out:

http://www.denofgeek.com/misc/177982...n_picture.html

Nothing before or since that clip has been in Trek, and it was downright terrifying back then. The idea that a huge machine could swallow the Enterprise is scary enough, but just the artistry and the aesthetics add to the glory that is V'Ger. To top it off, no, it doesn't look like anything in Trek.

If the powers that be can add something non-Trek in 1978, why can't they be allowed to do that in 2009?
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 08:40 PM   #105
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, hair-splitting is what I said.

Damn thing was dead and can return to that if this movie doesn't succeed. No biggie.

They auctioned off or threw away every prop, set piece and costume, every miniature that was cluttering up their storage areas - why pay to store something you're never going to use again? They were done with Trek as it had existed, and they knew it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote