Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 23 2009, 09:47 PM   #61
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

Re: First Clear Picture of the Narada *Warning: Spoilers*

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
Fresh new take from a fresh new movie that's being reinvented from an old, stale franchise. What's not to like?
Exactly.

Trekkie had a good run.
Non Trekker Trekkie did not.
Old January 23 2009, 09:55 PM   #62
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Fresh new take from a fresh new movie that's being reinvented from an old, stale franchise. What's not to like?
Exactly.

Trekkie had a good run.
Non Trekker Trekkie did not.
NTT wouldn't have a "good run" even if he were suffering from chronic, bloody diarrhea.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:10 PM   #63
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800

wow that is sad that is the best they could do?
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:17 PM   #64
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

At least its not a carbon copy of or play on other late 24th century Romulan designs. I have always found it kinda unimaginative that so many TREK races have such cookie-cutter designs for practically all their ships, with the main differences being in size or purpose. This ship isn't what I'D have designed, but all things considered it's a nice change of pace after twenty years of Romulan ships emblazoned with warbirds and painted bright green or some other muted hue of the color.

Old January 23 2009, 10:32 PM   #65
Devon
Fleet Captain

Klingon Empire wrote: View Post
I just want this movie to reflect on TOS. As it is now, it looks nothing like TOS.
Why would it need to reflect TOS when it is coming from the post-Nemesis era?

By the way, this is probably worth repeating since some here seemed not to read all of the posts:

that is not what it look like. you can see it for yourself in the trailer, just take a screengrab...also that is not what the toy is going to look like
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:37 PM   #66
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Nero and his timeship don't and WON'T reflect TOS because they come from almost 120 years after TOS. They will be far more reflective of the Picard/Sisko/Janeway era. Don't forget that. Now...the USS Kelvin? That will feel more TOS-like even if its more advanced looking in many respects.

Old January 23 2009, 11:04 PM   #67
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

daveyNY wrote: View Post

It can't do "Star Trek" one iota of harm.

If this movie tanks, all the fans who are horrified by the changes will have exactly what they have now in terms of "Star Trek" and they can congratulate one another on being right.

What they can't have is what they want from the studio. Not now, not next year, not ever...because the only people to whom that makes sense are a few million trekkies and their numbers are dwindling rather than growing.
Pehaps... but driving away the (according to you) few of Us left, may not be such a great thing either.
It can't hurt anything, where Trek movie and television production is concerned...because there is none.

It's not all that likely to negatively impact the declining merchandising revenues of the Franchise either, since there's been no directive (that we're aware of) demanding that all the comics and novelists and so forth march in lockstep with the new movie from this day forward. They can have it both ways: if the movie's a huge success everyone who licenses Trek will want to use its designs and continuity, and if it isn't then the licensees can continue to provide an alternative "safe haven" for what's left of fandom.

The risk here in changing everything for the movie is minimal and the potential rewards considerable.
Paramount was willing to risk a lot of money on this movie just because a big-name producer was willing to do it. If this movie flops, the chance of another Trek movie getting the go ahead in the next ten years drops dramatically. That sounds like it harms the franchise. If any producers have gone to Paramount with an interest in making a new Trek series, a failed Trek XI will shut down any chance they have. That's harm to the franchise.

A badly made Star Trek film will shut down any new development for at least a decade. The "word" in Hollywood will be that Trek is "dead", even though all it really needs is a good script and an honest effort on the part of the cast and crew.

This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this), has picked up the torch and instituted some of the most abysmal design changes imaginable. Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy! The writing and acting had better be a whole lot better than the art direction or this thing is deader than Nemesis.
Old January 23 2009, 11:13 PM   #68
Garak

Psion wrote: View Post
[. Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy!
Here, I can only surmise from your post that you probably haven't seen the trailer yet:

Link

Enjoy!
Old January 23 2009, 11:49 PM   #69
Devon
Fleet Captain

Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy!
It is just a few Trekkies playing "following the leader" since one bitter Trekkie made the comparison.

*Scratches head* And who is laughing? Hmm, no one.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:02 AM   #70
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this), has picked up the torch and instituted some of the most abysmal design changes imaginable. Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy! The writing and acting had better be a whole lot better than the art direction or this thing is deader than Nemesis.
I happen to like the new designs, especially given what this film is meant to be.

As for knowing very little about Trek when he started, perhaps you aught to consider that Nicholas Meyer was given a meagre budget, and had only the knowledge that Star Trek was "the one with the guy with the pointy ears."

The results was Star Trek II, perhaps the best movie to come out of the Star Trek franchise.

Sometimes an outside view is the best thing to have. And there are die hard and casual Trek fans among his producers/writers etc. to keep him honest.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:09 AM   #71
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this),
OMFG !!! He did not know ?

What is happening ? Has America's educational system gone to hell ? Have atheists and terrorists taken over ?
Why are they not hanging such ignorant people from their own guts ????

THE BLASPHEMY !!!!!
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:16 AM   #72
Garak

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this),

What is happening ? Has America's educational system gone to hell ? Have atheists and terrorists taken over ?

THE BLASPHEMY !!!!!
Is there some sort of authority we can report him to for immediate punishment?!?!?!?!??!
Old January 24 2009, 12:24 AM   #73
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

THE BLASPHEMY !!!!!
Is there some sort of authority we can report him to for immediate punishment?!?!?!?!??!
Screw the authorities man. Us TRUE FANS must take law into our own hands !!!

I'm getting my pitchfork and my shotgun !
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:38 AM   #74
trevanian
Rear Admiral

This joker, who didn't even know there'd been ten Trek movies made already (my God, that sounds incompetent or idiotic, please, someone debunk this), has picked up the torch and instituted some of the most abysmal design changes imaginable. Really, the sets and costumes and props and ships are freaking laughable -- no wonder people keep comparing them to a space comedy!
M'thinks you hit a nerve ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:39 AM   #75
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Ya Rly!
S0 y0u d0n't like things that use a g00d am0unt 0f zer0s d0 y0u.
0h g0d, y0u might make his head bl0w!
Really beacuse it w0uld be bad if his n0t liking zer0s cause him s0me medical pr0blems, we sh0uld pr0bably st0p at s0me p0int then, just n0t n0w.

Darth_Pinche wrote: View Post
I looks more like a space sea cucumber. I like it. I get the sense that Nero is a radical, so his ship being so strange fits.

Oh by the way, Robotech rocks.
and SDF Macross as well (I don't see why some Macross fans have to be grumpy about Robotech). Also the Zents are a badass race to take ship designs from Imean they did fry a good portion of the Earth.

THE BLASPHEMY !!!!!
Screw the authorities man. Us TRUE FANS must take law into our own hands !!!

I'm getting my pitchfork and my shotgun !
You forgot torches and marshmellows, its not fun without torches and marshmellows.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote