USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 22 2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: 2009 Oscar Nominations

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Calling it Rourke gets best actor
I hope so, but I'm afraid it'll go to Sean Penn of Milk. Penn's win will be a political statement.
Have you seen the film? Imo, it deserves all the praise it can get, politics or not.
Old January 22 2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Neroon
Mod of balance

TDK did get a host of technical nominations along with the Best Supporting Actor nomination. If there's a bias on the part of the Academy, it may be more against films that make huge sums of money.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 06:19 PM   #18
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I hope so, but I'm afraid it'll go to Sean Penn of Milk. Penn's win will be a political statement.
Have you seen the film? Imo, it deserves all the praise it can get, politics or not.
I'm planning to rent Milk whenever it's available from Netflix. I'm aware of the good reviews. But I'm afraid that social/political issues (Prop. 8) will serve to favor Milk at the Oscars.
Old January 22 2009, 06:23 PM   #19
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yeah, that's often a factor. Also for Frost/Nixon imo (I really can't explain that nomination any other way); possibly even for Slumdog Millionaire too to some degree.
Old January 22 2009, 07:04 PM   #20
MPH
Rear Admiral

What the hell is Milk or The Reader? Has any average film goer even heard of these films? I never thought The Dark Knight was brilliant but surley due to its succes at the box office and its good word of mouth it should of atleast got a nomination.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Sagart
Fleet Captain

I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last week and loved it!! I thought it was wonderful, magical. A lot of people compare it to Forrest Gump!!! Can't figure that one out.
Slumdog is very good, I haven't seen the rest yet. I was disappointed that WALL-E didn't get a nomination for Best Picture but I'm glad The Depressing Knight didn't get the nod.
Old January 22 2009, 07:19 PM   #22
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

He'll probably not show up or go and get on his soap box.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 07:26 PM   #23
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Maybe this is a stupid queston, but isn't the point of these to award the best film of the last 12 months?
So why every year do all the nominations of the films come from about a 2 month part of the year, with all the films released in said time?

Do the OAPs who obviously vote in these things find it hard to recall back an longer than that?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 07:35 PM   #24
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Do the OAPs who obviously vote in these things find it hard to recall back an longer than that?
Maybe. But many films whose producers think they have chances to win awards also get released late in the year to make sure they're fresh in people's minds in time for the awards.
Old January 22 2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

aladinsane wrote: View Post
Yes, the academy does harbor some prejudices toward genre films, but I really think The Dark Knight's greatness has been overstated and that it doesn't deserve a best picture nomination. It was a very fun, well made film, but not a great film. I truly do not believe that it will be a movie that will be as highly regarded in even 10 years time.
Completely agree - of all the times a Genre film should get Best Picture, TDK is definitely not one of them. A solid, enjoyable, good, not great movie with one great acting performance and stalwart direction.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:14 PM   #26
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

MPH wrote: View Post
What the hell is Milk or The Reader? Has any average film goer even heard of these films? I never thought The Dark Knight was brilliant but surley due to its succes at the box office and its good word of mouth it should of atleast got a nomination.
So in your mind the point of the Oscars is to nominate films that lots people have already seen and know about, instead of better but slightly less well-known movies that might actually deserve the nomination (and the increased attention) more? Makes sense to me.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Going by critical review amalgamation sites like rottentomates and metacritic neither the Reader nor Benjamin Button were "better" than Dark Knight...especially the Reader which is barely rated a decent motion picture by either site.

Going by box office, there is no comparison.

I can see Button getting a nod...but the Reader?
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:42 PM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

btw. Waltz with Bashir has got to get the Oscar for best foreign-language movie, I don't know all the other candidates, but this one is a phantastic movie!
I'm surprised The Edge of Heaven didn't receive a nomination. I thought it was excellent, and a far better realization of similar ideas in the inferior Babel and the far worse Crash.

It'll be interesting to see who runs away with the Best Supporting Actor nomination. Brolin was very good in Milk, as he has been very good in practically everything the past four or five years. Ledger was, of course, memorable as the Joker in The Dark Knight, and his death a year ago will no doubt have some sway over voters. And to top it off, Robert Downey Jr. earned as surprising (but deserved) nomination for a comedic role in Tropic Thunder.

Overall, the Best Picture nominees seem weaker than last year. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was overlong, with a padded first act and a barely necessary framing story. Slumdog Millionaire was surprisingly conventional and light (the brother is redeemed, the girl is got, the money is won...hardly innovative nor challenging in concept), but it was, admittedly, fun. I still have a hard time with the fact that so many Indian cast and crew are being passed up in favor of nominating the white filmmakers, though. Milk was well-made, and, in the face of Prop 8, bittersweet. Surprisingly good as a biopic, seeing as how tired the genre has felt as of late. I haven't seen Frost/Nixon nor The Reader, but judging from reviews, neither would be in contention if there was any stronger competition.

I hope Mellisa Leo runs away with a best actress nomination. Frozen River was far from a perfect film, but it's fantastic to see such a low-budget venture on a subject that wouldn't have had any Hollywood focus receive attention, and her performance was noteworthy.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:50 PM   #29
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Ethros wrote: View Post
Maybe. But many films whose producers think they have chances to win awards also get released late in the year to make sure they're fresh in people's minds in time for the awards.
It's also a sign of complete and utter lazyness by those who don't want to do the work and actually watch all the movies in a year.

I still have to see The Reader and Slumdog Millionaire but this is once again another soft, safe year of the Oscars. Were these five films the best 2008 really had to offer? I think I could come up with 5 to 10 films that were better, but these are the Oscars and Best Picture of the year has turned into Best Picture of November thru December only.

I'm not surprised The Dark Knight didn't get nominated, but it's a great example of why the Oscars are turning into an irrelevant exercise. It's not about what film was truely the best or what film really struck home with the consumers who go see these movies. It's about what film is good politically and baited so much that the Academy has to nominate them. Was the Reader really that good. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it's getting rotten under the Top Critics tab, while films like The Wrestler or The Dark Knight (And even Iron Man, which is in my top 10 films of 2008) were critical darlings and did really well. I'll perhaps see The Reader, but I'm not jumping up and down for it.

I did like RDJ getting the supporting nomination for Tropic Thunder. Now that's probably the most unsafe thing they've done in the last few years.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 09:23 PM   #30
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

As I've heard elsewhere, a big problem with the Academy is that it's basically filled mostly with old people who are unwilling to embrace new genres of film. That's why they'll usually go for the safe, conservative choices.

To them, superhero cinema has yet to evolve from the glory days of Adam West.

I mean, it took them god knows how many years to actually award a fantasy flick for best pic and they've yet to award a science fiction film. So maybe it should be no surprise that a superhero flick is yet to be nominated.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote