Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 29 2013, 02:15 PM   #136
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Re: Intrepid class VS a galaxy class, which was more powerful and adva

Totally agree.. the way the Enterprise D crashed was kind of anti-climatic.. Sure its the one thing we havent seen happen to the enterprise but It was hardly unique

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's sorta the awesome/horrible thing about Trek. Violence doesn't always save the day. But technobabble often does.
I got the impression it was more, "You dirty Klingons -dare- to get through our shields and attack us with technobabble?! We -invented- technobabble. We'll show you how it's done!"
Yeah I hated how GEN basically gave the ENT-D the shaft. How much of the budget did they spend on those sfx for that short fight? The Kirk death reshoot cost $6 million dollars. You think they could flex a million to give the ENT-D a more heroic send off. At least make it 3 BOP firing through the shields or have them shoot a trilithum missle at the ENT that cripples it. Have the ENT-D win with guts and sacrifice not a stupid technobable hax win.

It's one of the reasons I like the ENT-E vs Scimtiar fight. Geordi and Data don't technobabble a way to drop the Scimitar cloak or shields to make the battle less one sided.
Defiant Obrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 09:49 PM   #137
kgartm1185
Lieutenant

"* Intrepid class was considered FASTER but it is smaller.
(Galaxy class max warp is 9.3 .. Intrepid is 9.9 )"

A normal Galaxy class's maximum warp is 9.9. An uprated Galaxy class is capable of matching the Intrepid's maximum warp which is 9.975.

"* Galaxy Class standard crew compliment is 900-1000 ... but can hold upto 4000 in a pinch (like doing an evacuation for example).
vs Intrepid compliment is 140-160."

A Galaxy class can hold up to 15,000 people in an evacuation.
kgartm1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 04:17 AM   #138
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

the intrepid class will be the more advanced ship but the galaxy class would be more powweful than the intrepid class.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 04:59 AM   #139
Infern0
Captain

Just from everything i've seen as well as common sense I would say the Galaxy Class (if it was refitted as per standard at the same time as an intrepid) would be more powerful.

The Intrepid is more advanced though as it's what 7 years newer?

But the Intrepid to me was always about the engine, I always got the impression it was designed to zip about really fast, and be good for a variety of missions.

The Galaxy for me seemed to be designed as the best of everything starfleet had at the time.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:19 AM   #140
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How long did it take to build the Galaxy class during a time of peace?

Designs for that ship could ave started as early as 2350, and the designs therein would have been retrofitted a dozen times before the keel was even laid.

Voyager on the other hand being tiny, built inbetween several wars and inside a couple too must have gone from blueprints to launch in a year...

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 6 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:56 AM   #141
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

With the ship being roughly the size of the constitution class and only needing 150 crewman to man her. This compared to 400 for the constitution. I wouldn't doubt it taking less time to come out of the ship yard. Intrepid seems like a Galaxy class slim. I use slim in the gaming term sense. Like the PS3 original and the PS3 slim and super slims released years later.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:57 PM   #142
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Interesting information on the Galaxy class and other Enterprises. If you havent seen this already it's on the Star Trek Evolutions disc from the 2009 dvd releases.

AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 11:25 AM   #143
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Its noteworthy that during the Domino War, the Galaxy Classes that were being spit out were also upgraded compared to the Enterprise D, they were known as Galaxy 2s or Venture Classes. They had less luxuries, were designed to carry less personnel (more in the bracket of 600 officers and non-comms IIRC), but were equipped with upgraded warp engines and bio-neuro circuits to match the Interpids.

In other words, they kept pace with the advancements.

Only a handful of Galaxy Class ships are as luxurious as Enterprise D, the Yamato or the Venture.
Old August 9 2013, 11:52 AM   #144
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Where is all this talk of upgraded Galaxy class ships coming from? It certainly wasn't in any of the episodes.
Old August 9 2013, 05:25 PM   #145
R. Star
Rear Admiral

A certain measure of common sense? Unless you think for example the USS Missouri had the same armament and layout in 1945 and 1990. Or since TNG never once mentioned bathrooms, they were holding it for seven years.

If you want canon reference to Starfleet upgrading older ships, look at the USS Lakota in DS9's Paradise Lost.
Old August 10 2013, 04:12 AM   #146
kgartm1185
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Where is all this talk of upgraded Galaxy class ships coming from? It certainly wasn't in any of the episodes.
No, the upgraded Galaxy class ships were just in about every episode of the battles in the Dominion war.
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it is scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth. It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard, 2368
kgartm1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:07 AM   #147
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Galaxy-class ships were in the Dominion War. There is no evidence they were any different in ability, crew or anything else to the Enterprise-D.
A certain measure of common sense? Unless you think for example the USS Missouri had the same armament and layout in 1945 and 1990. Or since TNG never once mentioned bathrooms, they were holding it for seven years.
There's a big difference between saying "they probably use slightly more advanced components" and reeling off lists of statistics and class names which are complete fanfiction.
If you want canon reference to Starfleet upgrading older ships, look at the USS Lakota in DS9's Paradise Lost.
Which IIRC was a one-off upgrade made in secret and a big deal, not something considered usual practice.
Old August 10 2013, 01:00 PM   #148
Takeru
Fleet Captain

^Galaxy-class ships were in the Dominion War. There is no evidence they were any different in ability, crew or anything else to the Enterprise-D.
Some of them had the additional phasers from All Good Things glued to the nacelle, otherwise I agree with you, there was never any hint that they were upgraded.

I still don't get why so many people seem to argue about meaningless made up numbers for warp speeds, phaser strengths etc., look at the numbers, what do they tell you about the chances of an X-Wing vs. the Death Star? We all know how that battle ended!
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 07:14 PM   #149
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Designing your superweapon with a flaw a single person can exploit has led to the downfall of may evil overlords.
Old August 10 2013, 07:19 PM   #150
R. Star
Rear Admiral

There's a big difference between saying "they probably use slightly more advanced components" and reeling off lists of statistics and class names which are complete fanfiction.
Which IIRC was a one-off upgrade made in secret and a big deal, not something considered usual practice.
Who says it's a one-off upgrade and not usual practice? When half your fleet consists of older Excelsior/Miranda classes, and you're preparing for a showdown with a superpower that's plain as day coming, yeah I think you'd be refitting your fleet across the board to get ready. The Lakota was the first, but there was still well over a year before the war started, so they had time given the Lakota was upgraded and revamped in the time span of two episodes.