Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 17 2009, 02:02 AM   #316
Avro Arrow
Captain

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm sure there are people that have those talents. I guess it was just in combination with all his other skills and abilities, having him also be a master linguist seemed a bit too much. He speaks fluent Lissepian, and can read five of either Romulan, Gorn, Tholian, Tzenkethi, Breen or Kinshaya. None of these seem like they would be languages in common use in the Federation. I could easily believe English (or another human language), Vulcan, Bajoran and/or Betazoid, or even some other "common" ones like Andorian or Tellarite, but it just seemed that he knew a lot of languages that he would probably not have exposure to.
Uhh, Sonek Pran was an advisor to the Federation government on diplomatic and foreign affairs for thirty years. He served multiple UFP presidents as an envoy, negotiating with foreign powers to head off wars and establish new alliances and understandings. Why would you assume he wouldn't have had exposure to non-Federation languages?
Hmmm... I believe I allowed for that exact point in the paragraph after the one you quoted.

Again, this is just a personal opinion regarding one aspect of a character that overall I enjoyed very much. It seems to be a minority opinion, but I can deal with being in the minority.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 05:56 AM   #317
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

You know, I was going to wait on this until Losing the Peace came out, but then I read at Memory Beta that the Venture has a reference in this one. Oh well; it's only gasoline and an ever increasing California state sales tax.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 06:52 AM   #318
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
You know, I was going to wait on this until Losing the Peace came out, but then I read at Memory Beta that the Venture has a reference in this one. Oh well; it's only gasoline and an ever increasing California state sales tax.
Just for the record, there is really no objective reason to put off buying/reading any of the "Cleaning Up Mack's Mess" books until the release of any other book. Even though they all tie together, all four books do stand perfectly well on their own.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 08:23 AM   #319
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

Hey, just got one question from ASD. I'm about 3/4 done now but noticed at one point there was reference to McCoy still being alive. Now, I know that it has been stated that Crucible takes place outside the continuity of many other prior novels, however, I had kind of assumed that it might be incorporated into the present series of novels. In the first Crucible book, McCoy died at home in the end. I had thought that this was sometime earlier in the 24th century than 2381, but perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct about those dates, why was it decided the events of Crucible wouldn't be incorporated in with the other current novel series? Are there some other significant discrepencies that can't easily be resolved? I wouldn't be surprised if he was present in the recent Vulcan/Romulan/Reman trilogy Thanks.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 09:17 AM   #320
Sci
Admiral

Elemental wrote: View Post
Hey, just got one question from ASD. I'm about 3/4 done now but noticed at one point there was reference to McCoy still being alive. Now, I know that it has been stated that Crucible takes place outside the continuity of many other prior novels, however, I had kind of assumed that it might be incorporated into the present series of novels. In the first Crucible book, McCoy died at home in the end. I had thought that this was sometime earlier in the 24th century than 2381, but perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct about those dates, why was it decided the events of Crucible wouldn't be incorporated in with the other current novel series? Are there some other significant discrepencies that can't easily be resolved? I wouldn't be surprised if he was present in the recent Vulcan/Romulan/Reman trilogy Thanks.
Crucible has McCoy dying in 2364, not that long after his tour of the Enterprise-D in "Encounter at Farpoint."

Crucible was always designed to be a set in their own continuity, because they were meant to be as purely based on TOS as possible and because the idea was that new folks could jump on with those without being confused.
Old February 18 2009, 02:00 PM   #321
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

^ And McCoy's 2364 death was in contradiction with many, many novels where he pops up alive and well as soon as it was published.
Old February 18 2009, 02:49 PM   #322
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Sci and Steve Mollmann are correct: Crucible: McCoy had Bones dying in 2364, very shortly after "Encounter at Farpoint." McCoy has appeared in dozens of stories that take place after 2364, including TNG: Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman, TNG: The Modala Imperative by Peter David & Pablo Marcos (okay, a comic book, but I always liked it), TNG: Double Helix: Red Sector by Diane Carey, "Mirror Eyes" by Heather Jarman & Jeffrey Lang in Tales of the Dominion War, "Safe Harbors" by Howard Weinstein in TotDW, The Brave and the Bold Book 2 by Keith R.A. DeCandido (who???), SCE: Interphase Book 2 by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore, SCE: Ghost by Ilsa J. Bick, SCE: The Future Begins by Steve Mollmann & Michael Schuster, the various "Shatnerverse" novels by William Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and some others I'm forgetting (including some Strange New Worlds tales).

(Amusingly, he does not appear in the Vulcan's Soul trilogy....)

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 11:39 PM   #323
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Rat Boy wrote: View Post
Just for the record, there is really no objective reason to put off buying/reading any of the "Cleaning Up Mack's Mess" books until the release of any other book. Even though they all tie together, all four books do stand perfectly well on their own.
Oh no, I just prefer reading this stuff in one mass sitting; I waited until the last Destiny book was published before tearing through all three of them over the course of a holiday weekend.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 01:17 AM   #324
Snaploud
Admiral

3.75/4--This book will likely go in my top 20 trek list (though, not my top 10).

Sonek Pran is a bit of a Mary Sue character, but I still liked him. I could have done without the "character finds Pran annoying for no apparent reason" moments, though.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 05:16 AM   #325
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

About McCoy: Reaching though this may be, perhaps doctors later revived him after his supposed death?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 07:50 AM   #326
Elemental
Rear Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post
Sci and Steve Mollmann are correct: Crucible: McCoy had Bones dying in 2364, very shortly after "Encounter at Farpoint." McCoy has appeared in dozens of stories that take place after 2364, including TNG: Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman, TNG: The Modala Imperative by Peter David & Pablo Marcos (okay, a comic book, but I always liked it), TNG: Double Helix: Red Sector by Diane Carey, "Mirror Eyes" by Heather Jarman & Jeffrey Lang in Tales of the Dominion War, "Safe Harbors" by Howard Weinstein in TotDW, The Brave and the Bold Book 2 by Keith R.A. DeCandido (who???), SCE: Interphase Book 2 by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore, SCE: Ghost by Ilsa J. Bick, SCE: The Future Begins by Steve Mollmann & Michael Schuster, the various "Shatnerverse" novels by William Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and some others I'm forgetting (including some Strange New Worlds tales).

(Amusingly, he does not appear in the Vulcan's Soul trilogy....)
Wow, that old guy sure gets around! Thanks guys. And I know a number of those stories are set in the larger continuity of many of the current novels/series so makes sense that he's still around in ASD. I plan on getting to many of those novels eventually (the ones that are a part of an ongoing series - the SCE, Stargazer, and Gorkon/Klingon Empire lead-ins).

I'm really enjoying ASD so far! As I've said before, I really love these stories that take a very broad outlook and let you see what's going on in the entire Federation and beyond. It's really giving great insight into both the large-scale effects on the post-Destiny world as well as the more individual/personal affects on some characters.

KRAD, I don't imagine you made any list of references this time around as you had up on your site for Articles of the Federation (I can't remember the name for these lists)? I found that extremely useful and interesting.
Old February 19 2009, 09:02 AM   #327
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

KRAD, I don't imagine you made any list of references this time around as you had up on your site for Articles of the Federation (I can't remember the name for these lists)? I found that extremely useful and interesting.
Annotations. And check out the acknowledgments pages in ASD (381-383), where KRAD's already offered up a lot of that sort of information.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 04:55 PM   #328
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

I'm partway through annotations for ASD. I'll finish them when some time frees up in my schedule some time in March............................

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 07:43 AM   #329
Elemental
Rear Admiral

^Sounds good! I did check out those pages at the end of the novel, however, I know that they usually tend to list off pretty well all the previously seen characters that are in the novel and I find it a bit spoilerish to know that ahead of time.
Old February 23 2009, 12:02 PM   #330
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

This is my review of "A Singular Destiny". It contains spoilers:

“A Singular Destiny” is certainly unusual for a Star Trek book. It introduces another one of what I call affectionately “KRAD`s creations”, Sonek Pran. It is mainly him who makes this book unusual. He is a civilian, a teacher, diplomat and advisor to the President. Sonek Pran is not a fighter. It was mentioned that he has never used a weapon. He also hasn`t got any unusual mental powers. What he has is a gift for languages, a gift to understand people and find the right words to solve problems. He also has a colourful background. His genetic make up consists of four different humanoid species. Part of his family heritage is also reflected in his love for music and I could see in this book that there is some truth in it that music is also a form of language that can bring people together.

I liked that character from the beginning. He is a very likeable, highly intelligent and sensitive man who is determined to do what he thinks needs to be done and who is not afraid to step on peoples toes if necessary. It was interesting to see how he collected all the pieces of the puzzle and put them together, revealing a new potential threat to the Federation. I learned that this book is intended as a stand alone but I hope that it sells well enough so that this won`t be the only one featuring Sonek Pran. I think especially now also the Star Trek book universe needs a character like him.

The creation of the Typhon Pact makes a lot of sense in a time when the Federation, the Klingons and so many other powers and civilizations are struggling with the aftermath of the devastating Borg attack. The foundation of the Typhon Pact certainly hasn`t the idealistic background of the Federation and Starfleet. The Typhon Pact is at best a challenge, at worst a hostile power towards the Federation and its allies. I remember episodes when Starfleet officers boasted how peaceful, how advanced humanity has become and that poverty, injustice and hunger are no longer a problem. This is no longer the case in many regions of the Federation and beyond. The Typhon Pact will add to this. In theory, contact with them can open the door to new opportunities but I could already see that also thanks to them, crime, including terrorism and border wars are adding to the numerous problems.

It will make the Star Trek book universe more interesting and more diverse. I am looking forward to find out more about the Typhon Pact, its members, governments and various powers. I am also looking forward to find out how the Federation will deal with this challenge. That includes President Bacco, Starfleet Intelligence, Section 31 and various Starfleet captains. The Typhon Pact will also have an impact on all the other civilizations in that region. There is a lot of potential for interesting stories.

“A Singular Destiny” shows the difficult struggle to rebuild what the Borg damaged and destroyed. KRAD showed this from different angles and perspectives, something I welcomed because it gives a very three dimensional picture of the situation. It ranks from individual tragedies to mass casualties. I found it amusing that KRAD used this opportunity to also show us what his creations have been doing and what parts they are playing now. And why not? I regret it that SCE won`t be continued and that there are also no plans at present for more Gorkon/Klingon books. Also “Articles of the Federation” would have deserved more books of its kind. I enjoyed it to meet these people in this book and I hope to meet them again.

The only part I still don`t like is the “teaser” for the coming Voyager book “Full Circle” which will be, kind of, a relaunch of the Voyager relaunch books. The name B`Elanna Torres appears on a casualty list as confirmed dead. After what happened to Paris father and Janeway, I still don`t see this as a teaser but a turn-off. I couldn`t find any mentioning of Miral, which is at least something. I have already been told that I should wait and see. Maybe B`Elanna Torres is not confirmed dead after all not unlike what happened to Calhoun in New Frontier. But I am certainly not one of these people who find this announcement exciting. I am in no hurry to find out how Paris loses at worst the rest of his family.

But this makes very little impact in my enjoyment of this book. I also enjoyed the part Captain Dax and her crew played in this story and am looking forward to meet her again in other books. The book offers a good mix. Some parts are definitely dark but it also has very entertaining, humorous parts. I can recommend it very much.