Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 18 2009, 05:28 PM   #31
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: For Those Who Saw TWOK in 1982

I seem to remember no snickering.

Not like years later, seeing Pulp Fiction. I was the guy laughing at all the inappropriate times, the kid getting shot in the face, etc.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 06:28 PM   #32
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I saw it at the Southglenn theaters in 82, I was 13 years old and the theater was packed. I don't recall anybody laughing at the time. I think it was when I finally saw it on video that I found it funny. More Shatner's delivery that the line itself.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 07:04 PM   #33
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

I saw TWOK on a Saturday night in June of 82. Could very well have been STII's 2nd night in theatrical release(?)

The things that stood out to me seeing TWOK in the theater were {in no particular order}:

*The 1701's warp effects.

*Reliant's shape vs Enterprise's design.

*The Genesis Cave.

*The Ceti Eel Implantation Scene in Khan's “trailer park home”.

For those who saw ALIEN this scene was probably nothing.

*Khan's Hand: At the end Khan's gruesomely mangled hand up on the movie screen really stuck to me.

*Spock's casket on the surface of Genesis, all the trees & sunshine.

*Spock dying in the warp chamber & there was something about the glass or transparent wall insulating the warp chamber that caught my attention/interest.

*Spock saying TATV at the end & the shot{s} of the universe while he was saying TATV.

*I can't recall any laughter by the audience at anything.

I was very young then, in elementary school.

Last edited by Aquehonga; January 18 2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: omission
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 02:21 AM   #34
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I reacted just the way I was supposed to, with a sinking feeling of dread. I still don't think it's funny, either, and I think most people who say Shatner's a bad actor* simply say it because everybody else does.

*He's had some bad moments but no where near as many as people like to pretend.
My friends and I watched MERV GRIFFIN's show on TWOK prerelease and one of them about died just when Kirk picked up the radio and said, 'khan you bloodsucker!' (probably cuz it sounded like 'cocksucker' -- predating Ian McShane by decades.)

He's bad because he takes risks, and he's memorable for the same reason. Some take the good with the bad. I do. Plus I've seen THE INTRUDER, the only role where everything he does was actually needed to make the character live (which it did.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 02:24 AM   #35
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Nobody laughed in the sold out theater (1000+ people) that I saw it opening weekend. I watched the HD version of the movie a few weeks ago on Cinemax and I still don't find it funny. I am not a big fan of TWOK, but this scene is very dramatic and I like it.

I did laugh at the line when George said it on Seinfeld.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 02:35 AM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Steve67 wrote: View Post
As for those who laughed, joked, etc. I just chalk that up to teenagers always finding ways to "impress" their friends and always appear cool and unaffected by anything emotional.
Sorry, try again. More like "way too old to be moved by mawkish attempts at emotional manipulation." I've always figured that only adolescent Trekkies or shippers could be that broken up by anything in Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 02:47 AM   #37
Steve67
Commander

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
As for those who laughed, joked, etc. I just chalk that up to teenagers always finding ways to "impress" their friends and always appear cool and unaffected by anything emotional.
Sorry, try again. More like "way too old to be moved by mawkish attempts at emotional manipulation." I've always figured that only adolescent Trekkies or shippers could be that broken up by anything in Trek.
What's "mawkish" about a guy screaming his enemy's name in a white-hot rage?
Old January 19 2009, 02:57 AM   #38
Elder Knight
Captain

We saw it a few days after it opened. I think there was still some boubt as to how the ending had been filmed. The audience only laughed at the intentionally humerous parts. Yeah, some women did cry when Spock died (my sister-in-law for one).
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 03:03 AM   #39
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Century Theaters?
Century 23 on Winchester, a two-cinema theater in a big dome, right next to the Winchester Mystery House. I saw a later show opening night, and had the worst seats I've ever had for a first run movie, in the front left corner.
I remember it well. My friends and I practically lived there in the late 70s and early 80s. With occasional trips to the Cinema 150 or the Town Country.We'd "slum" at one of the AMCs if needed.

Getting line early usually netted us the "good" seats. Once I think we filled nearly the entire row where the "good" seats were. For us those were the seats that put your line of sight in the middle of the screen.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; January 19 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 03:57 AM   #40
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I did chuckle when Spock was dying. For some reason him straightening his jacket and walking into the wall is funny to me.
See I have heard that before and I must admit, I find it a REALLY odd reaction.

I saw great dignity in Spock's desire to present himself to his admiral in a respectful manner, one last time.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this is funny, unless you're one of those annoying people whose default reactions when faced with some kind kind of trauma is to laugh uncontrollably. I knew a girl once that did that and whenever it happened I had an uncontrollable urge to slap her silly at the innappropriateness of her reaction.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 04:33 AM   #41
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I cant explain it. Something about Nimoy's acting choices I guess. On the other hand I cried like a baby when the Enterprise when down in flames in ST-III.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 05:37 AM   #42
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Tulin wrote: View Post
I did chuckle when Spock was dying. For some reason him straightening his jacket and walking into the wall is funny to me.
See I have heard that before and I must admit, I find it a REALLY odd reaction.

I saw great dignity in Spock's desire to present himself to his admiral in a respectful manner, one last time.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this is funny, unless you're one of those annoying people whose default reactions when faced with some kind kind of trauma is to laugh uncontrollably. I knew a girl once that did that and whenever it happened I had an uncontrollable urge to slap her silly at the innappropriateness of her reaction.
Yeah, I didn't find that funny either...but...what-evah!
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 05:46 AM   #43
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What's "mawkish" about a guy screaming his enemy's name in a white-hot rage?
Oh, if you see it as something other than hammy overacting it's probably quite, um, moving. Problem is, it was Shatner and he was going over the top as he so frequently does.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 03:54 PM   #44
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Century Theaters?
Century 23 on Winchester, a two-cinema theater in a big dome, right next to the Winchester Mystery House. I saw a later show opening night, and had the worst seats I've ever had for a first run movie, in the front left corner.
I remember it well. My friends and I practically lived there in the late 70s and early 80s. With occasional trips to the Cinema 150 or the Town Country.We'd "slum" at one of the AMCs if needed.

Getting line early usually netted us the "good" seats. Once I think we filled nearly the entire row where the "good" seats were. For us those were the seats that put your line of sight in the middle of the screen.
We got to cen22 at 7am for the first TMP showing (scheduled at 11 something), but my best SJ memory for movies is Cinema 150, first day CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. Must be my best experience of a movie ever. The UFOs practically shredded one of the speakers in the theater, and we came out looking up at the rain like something special was gonna come down.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 05:50 PM   #45
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

HEARING the line isn't funny; seeing it is.
This man speaks the truth.

Shatner looks like he's passing a brick.

Joe, regular
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote