Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 18 2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: 24's Change

Aragorn wrote: View Post
The person who has logged the most sleep on 24 is Tony, and that's only because he was shot in the neck, was blown up and had his death faked.
Is being unconscious or in medcally-induced comas/knocked out for surgery or "dead" the same thing as sleep?
Old January 18 2009, 01:08 PM   #17
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

I watched Days 1 and 2 when they aired. They were really good. Then I kinda lost interest. I watched the first five or six episodes of Day 6. Started out promising but got ludicrous and lame really quickly. Don't think I'll be trying Day 7 out unless the word on it is very encouraging.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 01:29 PM   #18
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

All this reminds me I have to watch the first 2 seasons again at some point.

I've only seen them once, years ago so I can't really offer any valuable comments as to how the show has evolved.
It's all kind of a blur.

I do seem to remember some kind of cougar involved though...I believe it was a key character ?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 03:09 PM   #19
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

a real world quality about it.
What? I only watched Season one and thought it was silly to start with - Isn't the daughter attacked by a mountain lion and kidnapped twice in the space of 24 hours?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 06:04 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Agent Cougar was in season 2. (Agent Baby was in season 3.)

I think the Jack & Tony team-up works really well, and I'm a bit surprised they haven't kept them together more often over the years.

Oh, incidentally:

Last edited by Lindley; January 18 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

"Kim" :
Old January 18 2009, 11:56 PM   #22
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Thinking about it, the big change was Day 4.

Day 1 was personal to Jack, his family were in danger.

Day 2 featured terrorists attempting to set off a nuke, and Palmer coming under pressure to respond against 3 middle eastern states.

Day 3 featured the release of a virus and various attempts by various groups to get their hands on said virus.

^^^^ All quite believable, to an extent. Day 3 pushed it because that virus was out of control and there was no real explanation as to how half of LA didn't get infected and die. Plus of course, you've got Tony being shot in the neck and returning to work soon after.

But then, Day 4 - and there's this magic 'override' chip which can control not just one, but ALL of the nuclear power stations in the USA.

Add to that Marwin, who seems to have every single detail of his grand master plan, planned to perfection, executed flawlessly until he becomes another victim of Jack Bauer.

You've got the same thing going on in Day 7 - a magic firewall chip which, once bypassed, allows complete control of any critical computer system.

Still, 24 beats the crap outta of most of the tosh on TV.
TheInsideMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 12:22 AM   #23
Idoliside
Commander

TheInsideMan wrote: View Post

Still, 24 beats the crap outta of most of the tosh on TV.
And this is why i love 24, its not the realism of the situation, just the sheer entertainment of it all.
Idoliside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 06:55 AM   #24
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Season 2 remains my favorite season, it had things all very well meshed together.

Season 4 is right up there with it, that's where I really define the series becoming more of a roller coaster ride. It was also the most exciting and effective of the roller coaster seasons.

Season 5 was hit and miss for me, as was Season 3. Season 1 had it's moments there was a lot of it that didn't work, it was helped by it being the first season and a fresh concept. Season 6, lets not go there.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 08:00 AM   #25
Augustus
Fleet Captain

season 6 started out pretty good I thought, but... yeah, I'll just stop there...
Old January 19 2009, 02:34 PM   #26
rafterman1701
Commodore

The show only works because of the rollercoaster feel that the time gimmick creates. It is not realistic at all and never holds up when scrutinized. It is pure TV fast food. I do wish it was more like the earlier seasons. And I do wish they used the time well, with realistic travel times and normal behaviors. By now, it all seems so artificial. The show's most unique feature is also its greatest weakness.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 03:43 PM   #27
Mr Light
Admiral

It was definitely S4 that made the show more fantastical and over the top. I loved S3, it's my favorite season. Of course even in S2 they were getting up there. Jack is tortured and his heart stops, but ten minutes later he's right back to ace-killing.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. The show has occurred in two loose trilogies thus far. The first three seasons were about David Palmer's administration and the German conspiracy (which unfortunately got killed off-screen between S2 and S3!). By the end of S3 David Palmer was gone, Stupid Kim was gone, Sherri was dead, Nina was dead, Chappelle was dead. The entire story was rounded off and ended.

S4 to 6 was the Chinese trilogy. The Chinese plot is introduced in S4 and resolved in S6. All three years deal with Charles Logan and the Bluetooth Conspiracy, and then onto Jack's family. It was also the Audrey trilogy. At the end of it, the story was resolved and ended. And now we're starting a new story.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 05:16 AM   #28
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Don't think I'll be trying Day 7 out unless the word on it is very encouraging.
As of now...

The new setting in DC is energizing. I like Freckles (the redheaded FBI agent) and Agent Jackass (Rhys Coiro) but Janeane Garofolo is trying too hard to out-Chloe Chloe. The jury is still out whether this season will be something fun and new, or just the tired old tropes trotted out once again.

But for me, Jack & Tony are the heart & soul of this show. If they capitalize more on their relationship (and I'm NOT talking about slash, well not primarily ) and the conflict that got them where they are now (namely, Tony and Jack have parallel experiences but Tony is the one responding like a human), then they could have a great season on their hands.

The key is to find the conflict between the two, even when they are acting as allies in their job, and using it to show us more about the truth behind Jack, that in his tireless dedication to the nation, he has sacrificed any shred of human reaction - he's this very weird inhuman creature now, in comparison to very human Tony. So - is that a good thing or a bad thing? Even I'm not quite sure what the answer is, but it's worth asking.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 05:30 AM   #29
Aragorn
Admiral

Season 4 was not a roller coaster. Season four would be going up Splash Mountain, but coming down on Star Tours, taking a ride on the People Mover, and ending on Captain EO.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 05:19 PM   #30
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

^ Sounds more like you're talking about Season 6. :P

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote