TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 14 2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Rhody the Ram
Commander

A Hidden BOBW Reference?

In this past Sunday's Hartford [Connecticut, USA] Courant, there was an opinion piece about a proposal to merge two area hospitals. Within the article, the author wrote this:

Second, the impropriety of privatizing a public asset — without recompense, and with a confused notion of mission — should be clear. Leaders of the University of Connecticut have apparently decided that resistance to Hartford Hospital is futile, and that an exit from the hospital business will save political conflict. Of course it will save conflict — if they give in to the main source of that conflict, namely the protests of powerful private-sector competitors.
I'm not suggesting that this was a "hidden" intentional reference to TNG. But do you think this was inspired by the Borg line and perhaps stuck in the writer's mind until he used it here? I've never seen the line used in non-Trek context. Has anyone else?
Rhody the Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 05:01 AM   #2
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

Re: A Hidden BOBW Reference?

LOL

It's certainly possible! I can't say for sure how often that phrase was used prior to its appearance in Trek, but it has certainly been popularized and may well have consciously or unconsciously entered the mind of the writer that way.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I think it has been popularized...that wouldn't be the only time I've heard it in a non-Trek context--damned if I could remember exactly WHERE, though...
Old January 14 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

It's funny you should bring this up. I heard the phrase "resistance is futile" or a slight variation of it somewhere the other day. It may even have been on a tv news item.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Boy Wonder
Lieutenant

They've used it on some TV commercial and one politician in Australia is called Lawrence Springborg and there have been many jokes and puns such as "Bring back the Borg" and "The Borg is Back". Even stickers have been made apparently.
Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

The phrase "resistance is futile/useless" was around before the Borg were created. At the very least, "Resistance is useless!" was a meme used by Douglas Adams for the Vogon guard in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (dating back to the original 1978 radio series), and I believe he was parodying the use of similar phrases by various Doctor Who monsters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase was a reference to Star Trek. I run into Star Trek references from time to time in my daily life and I don't even live in the US or any country where English is the prime language.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

A few years back when my son was a toddler I was watching "The Wiggles" with him on TV. This was long after Star Trek First Contact came out. In this particular episode they were doing a space theme and had a woman dressed up as a cutesy alien (silver or green body paint with a 'Jetson' styled dress). When she knocked on the Wiggles door and didn't get an answer she said the "Resistance is futile" line. I about fell off the couch laughing.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old January 14 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I am reminded of "Best of Both Worlds" every time my daughter watches Hannah Montana. Now if only Miley would get assimilated.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 02:33 AM   #10
skeeter291
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, that is just too funny!
skeeter291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 05:04 AM   #11
NCC74894A
Fleet Captain

Location: The Laurentian system, albeit about a century too late

Christopher wrote: View Post
The phrase "resistance is futile/useless" was around before the Borg were created. At the very least, "Resistance is useless!" was a meme used by Douglas Adams for the Vogon guard in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (dating back to the original 1978 radio series), and I believe he was parodying the use of similar phrases by various Doctor Who monsters.
And in The Empire Strikes Back, at one point during the Cloud City lightsaber fight (just before "I am your father", in fact, IIRC) Vader says something to this effect to Luke: "You are beaten... it is useless to resist!"
Old January 17 2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Rhody the Ram
Commander

Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
A few years back when my son was a toddler I was watching "The Wiggles" with him on TV. This was long after Star Trek First Contact came out. In this particular episode they were doing a space theme and had a woman dressed up as a cutesy alien (silver or green body paint with a 'Jetson' styled dress). When she knocked on the Wiggles door and didn't get an answer she said the "Resistance is futile" line. I about fell off the couch laughing.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
I always knew The Wiggles were slightly Borg-like!
Rhody the Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I think it has been popularized...that wouldn't be the only time I've heard it in a non-Trek context--damned if I could remember exactly WHERE, though...

The Cybermen used it on the moon in 1966, along with the immortal line, "Clever, clever, clever".
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 02:04 AM   #14
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
It's funny you should bring this up. I heard the phrase "resistance is futile" or a slight variation of it somewhere the other day. It may even have been on a tv news item.
The phrase "Resistance is futile" is now used to currently advertise a certain brand of cheese.

It seems resistance to using the phrase "resistance is futile" is, indeed, futile.
Old January 25 2009, 03:21 AM   #15
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
The phrase "Resistance is futile" is now used to currently advertise a certain brand of cheese.

It seems resistance to using the phrase "resistance is futile" is, indeed, futile.
Or the Borg own the company selling the certain brand of cheese.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote