Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 16 2009, 09:16 PM   #31
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

Re: House a flop in the UK?

I suppose he considers it a flop because it was picked up by Five instead of a real TV channel.
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 02:22 AM   #32
Kryton
Admiral

I don't watch House (my mom loves it, I've never bothered with it) but I guarantee I'd be sitting in front of the TV machine if Rowan Atkinson were scheduled in a guest role.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 04:28 AM   #33
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The actor suggested that British audience's familiarity with him means that they are on the lookout for slip-ups with his accent.
It's much easier for Americans to detect problems with an American accent than it is for foreigners. And yeah, Hugh Laurie can't really pull off the accent, he growls to cover it up.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 04:59 AM   #34
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The actor suggested that British audience's familiarity with him means that they are on the lookout for slip-ups with his accent.
It's much easier for Americans to detect problems with an American accent than it is for foreigners.
True enough, but our media is so saturated with genuine American accents that we've become pretty adept at spotting the slip ups in a fake one too.

What, are you telling me you watched Sub Rosa and thought "ah yes, those are genuine Scots alright!".

Besides, I think his point is that the British audience are much more familiar with him so we're deliberately looking out for slip ups. To be honest though I think he's talking shite.
Old January 17 2009, 08:31 AM   #35
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

I have the same problem when American TV tries to imitate the French accent. It happened for the last time in an episode of Knight Rider when KITT spoke French. Goodl Lord it was horrible, it made me cringe!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 09:48 AM   #36
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's much easier for Americans to detect problems with an American accent than it is for foreigners.
True enough, but our media is so saturated with genuine American accents that we've become pretty adept at spotting the slip ups in a fake one too.

What, are you telling me you watched Sub Rosa and thought "ah yes, those are genuine Scots alright!".

Besides, I think his point is that the British audience are much more familiar with him so we're deliberately looking out for slip ups. To be honest though I think he's talking shite.
Same here, kinda like when he said British don't like that he's successful, and that's why he's not getting offered any British roles any more... I'd think it's far more likely they think he's successful and won't accept a little, low paying British TV role, compared to his multi-million contract for a show that is huge internationally.
Old January 17 2009, 02:25 PM   #37
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Kryton wrote: View Post
I don't watch House (my mom loves it, I've never bothered with it) but I guarantee I'd be sitting in front of the TV machine if Rowan Atkinson were scheduled in a guest role.
I have this dream of an off-concept House episode. There's an international conference of diagnosticians in the UK, and House goes to London. He doesn't want to, he tells Cuddy that it's beneath him, but he finally bucks up and goes.

And he runs into a group of snobbish British diagnosticians, portrayed by Atkinson, Emma Thompson, Tony Robinson, Miranda Richardson, and possibly even Stephen Fry. (Though, honestly, I'd love to see Stephen Fry at a POTW.) And, naturally, House doesn't get along with these other doctors at all.

I don't know what the plot is. I haven't gotten that far yet. I just know the stunt casting.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 03:18 PM   #38
John Clark
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
(Though, honestly, I'd love to see Stephen Fry at a POTW.)
That could be good (along with the rest of the casting).

I know Stephen Fry has appeared in roles in US TV before (Bones for one) so with any luck, that might just happen.
Old January 17 2009, 06:47 PM   #39
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Kryton wrote: View Post
I have this dream of an off-concept House episode. There's an international conference of diagnosticians in the UK, and House goes to London. He doesn't want to, he tells Cuddy that it's beneath him, but he finally bucks up and goes.

And he runs into a group of snobbish British diagnosticians, portrayed by Atkinson, Emma Thompson, Tony Robinson, Miranda Richardson, and possibly even Stephen Fry. (Though, honestly, I'd love to see Stephen Fry at a POTW.) And, naturally, House doesn't get along with these other doctors at all.

I don't know what the plot is. I haven't gotten that far yet. I just know the stunt casting.
Got it. It doesn't need a plot. Why?

Because it would be the greatest Comic Relief Special ever made. BBC, give a Fox a call NOW. Cost is no concern because it not just entertain, it will help the poor. Win-win-win.