Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 17 2009, 12:41 AM   #31
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Keanu Reeves will be Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop movie

Part of me is excited, part of me is mortified. I'm not sure which part is dominant. My biggest concern is Ed. Simply put, there is not a single good actress out there that is built like that or is able to capture the absolute outrageousness of the character.
Old January 17 2009, 12:41 AM   #32
Orintho
Vice Admiral

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Adrian Brody as Spike
Robert DiNeiro as Jet
??? as Fay
A Corgi as Ein
Some little kid for Ed

Come on! Was it that hard???
Ron Perlman would be the best Jet. De Niro is a bit too small to play him.

Fay - not sure although Theron is really not curvy enough.
Old January 17 2009, 12:50 AM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I've said before that Dakota Fanning could have done Ed but she's too old now but she had an awkward period where she had that gangly skinniness. I'm not sure who would be good now though I suppose there could be an unknown just waiting in the wings, Ed's part probably wouldn't be too big anyway, and I could see them even dropping the character in a film adaptation.

As for Faye, sorry guys, I don't think you'll get someone with that exact figure but they might be able to get someone who can pull off the attitude.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 02:45 AM   #34
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I remember we had a discussion a few months back on what would happen if Hollywood got their hands on something like KGNE, School Days, or something along those lines. Can you imagine the outcry if Keanu (or his equivalent was cast as Narumi Takayuki? It'd be a disaster.
Reeves could not do that one, no. Then again hollywood probabally wouldn't touch that one either even though it would be a simple translation.

....and I can just imagine them trying to pitch School Days, it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole considering it ends

Best ending ever.
Old January 17 2009, 03:10 AM   #35
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I like Reeves in some things and I'm glad he's a fan. But I agree that he doesn't quite have the casual charisma needed to pull off Spike. It's not that the material is difficult. It's not. Rather, in many places, the dialogue is so thin that characterization relies almost solely on the character's attitude and Reeves' attitude is just wrong for the character.

I'd go more in the direction of Ben Affleck or Brad Pitt for the main role.

Ron Perlman as Jett Black is inspired!

For Faye, I'm picturing Anne Hathaway for some reason. She's young yet has a world weary cynicism. And we seem to be seeing her everywhere lately anyway.

But really, I'd rather see another animated movie rather than a live action adaptation.
Old January 17 2009, 06:36 AM   #36
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

flavaflav wrote: View Post
BTW, Cowboy Bebop isn't frickin Shakespear. You don't need some acedemy award winner for this role.
Nobody said it was Shakespeare. Speaking of Shakespeare, Keanu can't even do that well (e.g. Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing). It's not a matter of people trying to pass off the source material as more than what it is, it's just a matter of wanting to see the right actor cast, and Keanu Reeves is the wrong actor to play Spike in just about every way.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 08:06 AM   #37
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
flavaflav wrote: View Post
BTW, Cowboy Bebop isn't frickin Shakespear. You don't need some acedemy award winner for this role.
Nobody said it was Shakespeare. Speaking of Shakespeare, Keanu can't even do that well (e.g. Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing). It's not a matter of people trying to pass off the source material as more than what it is, it's just a matter of wanting to see the right actor cast, and Keanu Reeves is the wrong actor to play Spike in just about every way.
He's the wrong actor to play anything other than Pinocchio.
Old January 17 2009, 10:59 AM   #38
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

Does anyone really think Kanno or Seatbelts will be asked to do OST. I doubt it very much.

I fear it will be someone like Nickleback who does them...

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Marcus Porcius Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 11:45 AM   #39
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Good casting choice, and Bebop is about the only anime I can stand. Hopefully it'll do justice to the show.

I'd just leave Ed out of the whole damn thing though, I liked the characters involvement in the stories but I always felt like she was a parody of the shitty anime characters that polute the genre.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 06:42 PM   #40
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Does anyone really think Kanno or Seatbelts will be asked to do OST. I doubt it very much.

I fear it will be someone like Nickleback who does them...
Well, maybe at least they'll do an English version of RFB. The song is very tantamount to the show and she speaks pretty good English. Besides, most (all?) of the Seatbelts are American.
Old January 17 2009, 09:19 PM   #41
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Highly doubtful that they'll do anything like trying to sign Kanno up for the movie but we can always hope. Part of the escence of the show would be lost if they didn't try and at least replicate the musical variety in the show.

I'm hoping they'll use "Pushing the Sky" at some point in the film, awesome song and it's already in English.
Old January 17 2009, 11:10 PM   #42
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I hear ya. One of my pet peeves is that the movie soundtrack always seems to be so damn expensive.
Old January 18 2009, 04:11 AM   #43
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

they have to remake "Spike's Fall" its one of the best cinematic sequences...EVER
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 02:00 PM   #44
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Which one?
Old January 19 2009, 03:58 PM   #45
V
Commodore

they said the plot will loosely adapt the first episode's "red eye" drug plot, but they acknowledge (and I sympathize with them) that due to the stand-alone nature of most plots, it would be difficult to translate into a film.

By which I mean....take "Rebuild of Evangelion 1" the first of a four-film series that will adapt the Evangelion TV series; the series has a continuous plot, so they just took episodes 1-6 and adapted them into movie format.

It's difficult to do that with just a chunk of CB episodes.

***my HOPE is that it's basically the plot of episode 1 and Red Eye, but they insert Vicious and the Ballad of Fallen Angels fight from episode 5.