Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 18 2014, 01:27 AM   #736
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Fitness Checkin

Well, after seeing the incredible weight loss that a friend from high school pulled off, I've realized I need to get up off my ass and get in shape. I've always been a big guy. I'm at 290 lbs right now. I've started the first leg of couch to 5K. I'm tired, and kinda sore, but not as much as I expected. This seems doable to me. Encouragement is appreciated so that I don't slack off. I want to be better than I am.
Old July 18 2014, 02:59 AM   #737
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Okay, after a valiant effort in the fall, I more or less fell off the bandwagon. And then... I started easing up on the treats. And then... epiploic appendagitis hit two weeks ago, destroying my appetite. I am therefore down 11 pounds and a full BMI percentage point!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 12:21 PM   #738
2takesfrakes
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Unless you're morbidly obese, your "weight" really isn't that important. What's more important is how you look in the mirror.
I don't know about all that. It's been reported that even having a "pouch" is enough to cause problems.
Old July 18 2014, 02:54 PM   #739
RoJoHen
Awesome

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Unless you're morbidly obese, your "weight" really isn't that important. What's more important is how you look in the mirror.
I don't know about all that. It's been reported that even having a "pouch" is enough to cause problems.
...which would be how you look in the mirror.

Weight by itself is too vague a number to be truly meaningful. Saying "I lost 5 pounds!" could mean so many things. Was it 5 bs of fat? Was it 5 lbs of muscle? Was it water? Did you just take a big shit?

Fat percentage is one thing, but weight in and of itself just doesn't give you enough information, especially since muscle is heavier than fat.
Old July 27 2014, 05:08 PM   #740
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Although when you're athletic weight becomes more important. I've heard as a rule of thumb: For every ten pounds you are overweight, you lose 20 seconds per mile. And for stuff like rock climbing and obstacle course races, if you're not trim it's much harder to do obstacles like rope climbs and monkey bars.

Yesterday I weighed in at 182.6 pounds, which is the lightest I've been since I was 13. But I'm trying to get down to 160.

Hopefully sooner rather than later because in August and September I'm doing a full Spartan Trifecta.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:06 PM   #741
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Update: I am now down 16 pounds!!!
Old August 12 2014, 03:58 AM   #742
RoJoHen
Awesome

Takin' selfies in the weird jungle bathroom in my gym.
(kinda blurry because I couldn't keep my hand still)

Old August 21 2014, 03:25 AM   #743
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Nice, Ro!!

And as of today, I'm down 31 pounds!

ETA: It's been a rapid change in diet, exercise and will power coupled with the epiploic appendagitis acting as a stomach staple.

Last edited by Peach Wookiee; August 22 2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old September 8 2014, 07:32 PM   #744
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

If you guys can see them, these are my overall progress photos. This summer was the first time I felt proud to be seen sans shirt while at the beach, and I'm pretty proud of the progress I've made:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=b7a5abae8b

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=c2c954a4d4

I'm floating in the low 150 pound range now, and hoping to kick it down to the low-mid 140s and maintain there by Christmas.

But yeah, I've realized that once you get to a healthy range, the number doesn't mean nearly as much as how you feel you look in the mirror. I've lost a ton of weight but now that I'm shifting into a maintenance lifestyle, It's more about what I fit into and how I look when wearing it (or for that matter, not wearing it). I've got a paunch of loose skin left that I doubt I'll ever really get rid of, but even that isn't a priority anymore over stuff like the next target outfit, being able to lift X pounds Y times, and training to run up the local tower stair climb race.

When you're overweight or obese, the number on the scale DOES matter IMO, and is a great indicator of progress. But when you get down to a healthy weight, obsessing over that number won't help as much as more subjective fitness or image-related goals.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 08:49 PM   #745
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I recently cracked 180 for the first time since I was 13, and got down to size 33 for the first time since I started wearing jeans.

Also hit my goal of 130 miles run in August, hoping to hit 140 in September. Should be easier with the lower temperatures. What I haven't been keeping up with as well is the lifting part of my workouts.
Old September 19 2014, 07:43 PM   #746
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's just no fun lifting if you can't take douchey selfies.

Old September 19 2014, 10:39 PM   #747
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Well, right now I'm at my heaviest, about 240 lbs. My average used to be around 180-190 when I worked at a job that involved a lot of walking around for 8+ hours. But 2 years ago I started working full time in my dad's office, which brought my active time down to almost nothing.

I've tried making time to exercise, even getting a gym membership, but the motivation is never there. I tried walking around my neighborhood and biking, but nothing ever sticks for more than a few days.

I just got an exercise bike and placed it in front of my TV down in the basement. So far this week, I've exercised for a little over 40 minutes for the past 3 days while I watched something. This may be the motivation I need, as sad as that sounds.

Cravings for my favorites foods are still there. I'm finding it much harder to eat healthier than to exercise. So my diet still needs some help. I'm really hoping this is the start of a long journey to my ideal weight.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2014, 02:11 AM   #748
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

The same thing happened to me when I got a desk job. Shot from 185 up to 210.

For me, the thing that gave me motivation was getting into obstacle course races. Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Superhero Scramble, Tough Mudder, any of them.
Old September 20 2014, 02:11 AM   #749
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I've made time to exercise and feel pretty good. I swim up at the pool near my brother's place. It's nice!
Old September 23 2014, 09:25 PM   #750
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

My usual workout is an hour on the treadmill while watching something. I've been able to catch up on a ton of stuff this way! I've been supplementing it with sets of pullups (bought a cheap pullup bar and installed it permanently downstairs) and alternating that with sets of situps, pushups and other ups.

When I get bored of that, lately I've been doing some of Beachbody's workout sets that my wive likes. Cutting down on the treadmill time allows me to do the shorter daily workout sets (T25 and P90X3) and still give me some room to catch up on an episode of something.

Yes, you gotta make the time. My solution is to wake up early and do it first thing in the morning. Get it out of the way, and use that "me time" like you would for other nerdy activities (i.e. watching stuff), while working out. I've found that it gives me tons of energy and keeps me awake all day.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote