New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 25 2013, 06:18 AM   #691
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: Fitness Checkin

Been working out regularly now for a few weeks and started eating healthy (I think that is the hardest part for me). I started Crossfit with some of the guys from work last night and it was great.

I'll be adding the Crossfit into my routine 2 nights a week for now (the nights the guy that I work with is off from his training - he's level 2 certified instructor) on top of my regular morning workouts.

Will probably add some extra cardio in on the nights I don't do Crossfit as well.
Old April 28 2013, 01:56 AM   #692
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I am back to eating healthy food as I had neglected my diet and I managed to put back on all the weight I had previous lost.

I am not counting calories this time. I think my last diet was too strict and that is why I gave up on it in the end.

I have lost just over 4 kilos (about 9 pounds) in the last 43 days and I am down to 77 kg. I have set a target of 72 kgs by the end of June and 65 kg by the end of the year.

Exercise is my main problem due to having arthritis (spine, knees, ankles). I am attempting to do 5000 steps a day but sometimes that isn't possible.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:26 AM   #693
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Good for you!

My official weigh in was this morning.

30 pounds!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 05:50 AM   #694
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

Good for you, digits!
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:14 PM   #695

35.5, as of yesterday.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old August 4 2013, 09:18 AM   #696
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

So.. just to join this band here (and another way of keeping me motivated).

I'm a soon to be 38 year old male, 170cm height and as of this morning 150kg bodyweight.

Enough is enough so i have taken active measures. I have bought myself a bike again (strengthened due to my weight) after 10+ years of absolutely no sports.

So far i'm healthy as one can be with such weight.. no blood, joint or other problems (i had a checkup last fall in the hospital due to kidney stones) but time is running out.

I already sweat like a pig when its above 25 degrees Celsius and i have to walk the stairs or just down the street and my doctor is concerned.

Took my first bike ride this morning (way too hot to do so during the day as it's 30+ regularly for the past few weeks) and it was a bit painful but ok for the 30 minutes i managed.

I aim to do this ride as much as i can.. optimum would be to do so each evening after work but i know myself

As soon as it gets too cold for bikes i'll switch over to swimming (something i loved to do in ages past).

So wish me luck and above all the willpower not to give up.
Old August 4 2013, 04:06 PM   #697

Good job! Kept it up.

I'm at 40.4 pounds lost as of my official weigh in Friday.
Old August 7 2013, 10:56 PM   #698
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Rockin the gym lately, leaned down considerably. I'm 10.7% bodyfat at 234 pounds.

Congrats to all the weight loss success stories out there!!!!
Old August 10 2013, 02:53 AM   #699
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Just hitting 52 years of age and I noticed I had to replace most of my slacks because of waist line increases. I have been lazy no longer doing the 40 push ups, the army minimum standard back when I enlisted, but I still walk the multiple miles a day carrying mail up and down hills. On off days I tend to walk a couple blocks to the public park and do the circuit of body weight fitness machines
Old August 23 2013, 05:22 PM   #700
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Stepping in for the first time. 5'7" Asian male, turned 37 last week. Born with a heart murmur that has never let me be active for very long, but I used that as a crutch long after I grew out of it. Currently work as a sales exec for a software company, and perform improv comedy in a couple groups on the side.

Was pretty skinny (and quite active with karate and Scouts) before puberty, but stopped those and started putting on weight when the short & curlies sprouted. This is also due to the typical sedentary nerd lifestyle that extended to, and through my university years. Summary of known weight landmarks:

1991 - Started doing the looking-up-in-pictures-to-minimize-double-chin thing in ninth-grade class photo. Was selfishly photoshopping pics to remove the extra chin and look slimmer by the end of the decade.

2000 - Met the love of my life when she was in town for a summer work thing. Was around 205 pounds.

2005 - Hated what I looked and felt like. Hated going around fandom conventions sweaty and out of breath. Tangentially, hated being single. Started working out, but had no real diet. Muscle mass started increasing with weight.

2007 - Ran into the love of my life again, decided to do something about it this time.

2008 - Love of my life moves in with me. Weight peaks 229 pounds that week. Didn't work out much, but lost almost twenty pounds that first year simply by ditching the bachelor diet of $5 pizzas, $2 ravioli cans, and bi-weekly purchases of 4/$10 twelve packs of Coke Classic, plus tons of junk food.

2009 - Got married, weighed 209 pounds that month (and more by the end of the honeymoon). Daughter arrives by the end of the year. This was the breaking point for me - I realize that I really have to get fit if I want to be able to watch her grow up and be active with her, and to stay healthy for the sake of my family as much as myself. New motivation, acquired!

2010 - 2011 - With a combination of a healthier diet makeup (but not so much in portions) and various workout videos every other day, plus 30 minutes a day on the treadmill, I shed weight slowly but steadily. Weight loss reaches zenith at around 178 pounds and plateaus at 183.

2012 - Didn't work out regularly or eat well. Mostly just being lazy. Gained back over ten pounds.

Early 2013 - Weighed 194 pounds after a week-long work thing eating nothing but catered five star hotel foods. Screw that. Hopped on the six-week "Shred" diet by Dr. Handsome Blackman (can't remember his name right now) to kickstart things, plus an hour on the treadmill daily, walking over lunch at work, using the stairs at work (I'm on the 14th floor), and regular situps and light weights at home. Got back to 178 pounds by May.

Mid 2013 - At this point, I started a monitoring portions and caloric intake with the awesome "My Fitness Pal" app on my phone and tablets, in combination with the year's workout regime.

Today: 162 pounds.

I've lost 67 pounds since my wife moved in with me, and 32 pounds this year alone. Aiming for an even 150 now, which the internets tell me is at the upper end of what a normal weight Asian guy of my height should be, by the end of the year. I think I can make it - this year I've already lost enough to no longer be categorically obese, and with luck I'll lose the "overweight" moniker as well.

I look and feel better than I did in high school, almost twenty years ago now. I can walk up fourteen flights of stairs before breaking a sweat (and often keep going now for the hell of it, cooling off as I walk back DOWN to my office floor). My abs show without sucking in my shrinking gut. That huge second chin is history and I haven't photoshopped myself more than for lighting purposes for some years now. I've been head of an improv theatre team for ten years, and this summer I did scenes shirtless, without hesitation, when the scene called for it.

And all the while my main motivation is my family. I like what I see in the mirror, but I love doing it for them.

Mark

PS - Bonus - earlier this year I did a comparison of unaltered pictures of me for my family to illustrate how I've changed over the years. Pics are mostly from various conventions or improv shows therein. Click HERE to see it.

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 07:24 PM   #701
Use of Time
Commodore

Two years ago I completed my goal to run a full marathon. I haven't done a damn thing since. My wife and I had our second baby and I was just too tired to do anything after work. Now that she is two and a little more self sufficient I decided to train for the Outer Banks Marathon in November. The training has been kicking my ass and I'm finding it hard and frustrating that my body isn't responding the way it did two years ago.

The hardest thing is reteaching myself the mental toughness I had when I trained for the first marathon. Back then I refused to walk during my training runs. Now, I feel that it is no big deal to walk for a few minutes to catch my breath. I will say that the cooler weather has helped. I went for a ten miler last monday and finally caught that elusive "runners high." It did wonders for my confidence though I am a little intimidated by the looming 12 mile run I have this weekend.
Old October 7 2013, 11:46 PM   #702
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Last Tuesday, I began riding my recumbent bike after living in fear of it for a while. It seems that whenever I try certain exercises, I end up at the chiropractor after a couple of weeks because my back and legs get seriously unhappy. You see, I have something in my legs that is best described as a birth defect. We didn't find out until I was almost 29 that my legs are too straight and that my muscles have overcorrected for every injury I ever had. So when I've tried to exercise ever since said birth defect kicked in when I was 27, the results have not been good.
All of that said, I am pleased to announce that last Tuesday, I moved the recumbent stationary bike into the computer alcove in my house. I turned on an episode of Star Trek The Animated Series and began riding. In the past week, I've ridden 18 miles!
ETA: Today's ride was almost 6 miles!

Last edited by Peach Wookiee; October 8 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:04 PM   #703
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Two years ago I completed my goal to run a full marathon. I haven't done a damn thing since. My wife and I had our second baby and I was just too tired to do anything after work. Now that she is two and a little more self sufficient I decided to train for the Outer Banks Marathon in November. The training has been kicking my ass and I'm finding it hard and frustrating that my body isn't responding the way it did two years ago.

The hardest thing is reteaching myself the mental toughness I had when I trained for the first marathon. Back then I refused to walk during my training runs. Now, I feel that it is no big deal to walk for a few minutes to catch my breath. I will say that the cooler weather has helped. I went for a ten miler last monday and finally caught that elusive "runners high." It did wonders for my confidence though I am a little intimidated by the looming 12 mile run I have this weekend.

Gratz, I ran the Columbus full last years. The hardest thing i think i've ever done. I did the half the year before. It was almost child's play compared to the full.
Old October 16 2013, 10:00 PM   #704
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
All of that said, I am pleased to announce that last Tuesday, I moved the recumbent stationary bike into the computer alcove in my house. I turned on an episode of Star Trek The Animated Series and began riding. In the past week, I've ridden 18 miles!
ETA: Today's ride was almost 6 miles!
That's pretty much how I get my primary calorie burner out of the way for an hour every day, six days a week - I installed my old laptop on a shelf in front of my treadmill! In this way, I catch up on whatever series, movies, anime, etc. I've been missing out on or can't find the time to watch due to real life. I find it almost completely removes any focus I'd otherwise place on actually running.

It's weird to say, but I've caught up and watched SO much more stuff by spending time on the treadmill.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 10:47 PM   #705
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

So far, so good.

Picked back up the pace and broke out of that slump. So far I'm down 28 pounds. However, most of that loss was accelerated by avoiding and completely cutting out dairy.