Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 4 2011, 01:02 AM   #631
John O.
Rear Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

Hey thought I'd post an update - I got some new equipment today.

Well I was irritated because the Valeo weight belt I ordered from amazon, it didn't have a sizing chart so I just took a guess and got Large and the Large is just slightly too big for me. There's a sizing chart on the label ON the weightbelt, but obviously I already have it so it's too late! It's just slightly too big, I might just drill some extra holes.

Second item was wrist straps. This is something I've been considering for some time, I think I may've even asked around here what they were for and if they were different than gloves with wrist support. Obviously they are.

I got em primarily because I could tell that I was stuck on deadlift and single arm row by how much weight I could grip. So my first experience with wrist straps was interesting. The ones I got were cheap - $5 on amazon. They seem well made enough for the price but I sense they may come apart in a few months and require replacing. However, I'm going to have my GF go over the seams and reinforce them so that might make them last longer.

In terms of use, it took looking up a YT video and a lot of trial and error to finally figure out the right way to wrap it to get the desired effect - relieving the hands from having to grip the weight by essentially being able to lift with the wrist as an anchor. I could see how you could injure your wrist if you saturation trained with these, I mean after about 3 sets at total max weight, your wrists are sore - but that's understandable.

The second thing is that maybe I just haven't figured out the trick yet but getting the ideal wrap with BOTH HANDS on a bar, like for deadlift, is pretty tricky. It's kind of a two-handed affair, IMO. It worked brilliantly for single arm row. I took my single arm row max from being able to do the 80 lb DB and having to stop every rep to set the DB down to rest my fingers, to doing 100's today... and conceivably if my gym had them I could probably have done 105's, and I could see myself pushing to 110's. So that was a huge improvement.

The deal is you gotta wrap em a certain way (it's hard to explain in words you really just gotta play around with it) so that you don't even have to grip it to hold the starps tight. It's not a knot but it's related. Anyway if you do it right, the pressure exerted just by squeezing your hand tight to your comfort level will hold the strap taut against the bar and essentially turn your wrist into one frictionless anchor for the entire arm. Works wonders for putting the weight on your back and not your hand in a workout like row.

I also had some problems in that I have rather small hands and the nature of the wrap is that it wraps around the bar of course, well so the diameter of the object you need to wrap your fingers around gets a little bigger - You may not have to hold on as tight but you have a larger thing to hold onto. I think I found the ideal cross-over way to wrap it so that u get optimum tightness without having to do multiple layers of wrap over the same location (that made it impossible to grip, just too thick). In fact if you do it right, once you finish your set, you actually find that you can't just pull your hand loose, the wrap is so tight you have to lean down with your free hand and remove it.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 05:37 AM   #632
RoJoHen
Awesome

Wrist straps definitely take some getting used to. I remember the first time I tried using them I could not for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do.
Old July 5 2011, 02:23 AM   #633
John O.
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Wrist straps definitely take some getting used to. I remember the first time I tried using them I could not for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do.
yea I felt like a major retard at first . Is there a trick to getting the right wrap with two hands cuz I can do the first one, using both hands, but the second is tricky. I never quite got it right on deadlift.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 04:03 AM   #634
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just play around with it a little more. I have absolutely no idea how to explain what I do, but I do know that I eventually figured it out.
Old July 8 2011, 01:25 AM   #635
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I've been staying lean, I'm in the low 240s dropped some weight in the last month. Focusing on cutting!
Old July 13 2011, 01:01 PM   #636
Pattinson
Cadet

Today i workout 1 hour! there is a lot of improvement in triceps and wings!
Old July 13 2011, 02:19 PM   #637
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have turned into one of those people that carries around a gallon jug of water everywhere I go. Gotta stay hydrated!
Old July 29 2011, 06:09 PM   #638
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I need some advice, or at least some recommendations.

I'm starting to notice my gut (Belly fat) is getting to be kind of large and I don't think that is a good thing, especially since I'm 27 and a little overweight. What kind of workouts or diets should I adapt to work on this problem. I also need to build muscle, but I'm not as worried about that as I am about the whole gut thing.

I started doing some research on this last night but if anyone has any advice, that would be great too.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 07:51 PM   #639
FelizNavidad
Admiral

I have another question for you all. If one were to start a program (Losing weight, body fat and gaining muscle), what would you guys suggest as a good starting point. I go to a Gym and I've done quite a bit of cardio with some lifting this week, but I do want to make the most of it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

sjsharksfan39
Old August 3 2011, 12:12 AM   #640
RoJoHen
Awesome

Can you give us an idea of exactly what you've been doing lately? It'll be easier to give suggestions that way. How often do you work out? What kind of cardio are you doing and for how long? What kind of weight training do you do?
Old August 3 2011, 02:25 AM   #641
FelizNavidad
Admiral

Can you give us an idea of exactly what you've been doing lately? It'll be easier to give suggestions that way. How often do you work out? What kind of cardio are you doing and for how long? What kind of weight training do you do?
In terms of the Cardio I've been spending 45 minutes on the Eliptical, and I do take walks around the neighborhood for at least 30 minutes. For Weight training, I think I'm pretty much doing everything wrong so might as well start fresh. I can say I really need to work out the abs, arms, and chest, but I'm thinking it's a whole body effort.

sjsharksfan39
Old August 3 2011, 02:34 AM   #642
RoJoHen
Awesome

How many days a week are you at the gym for weight lifting? This will help determine the kind of routine to set up for yourself. You don't want to work the same muscle groups on consecutive days, and you want to make sure you schedule rest days for your muscles to recover.
Old August 3 2011, 03:03 AM   #643
FelizNavidad
Admiral

How many days a week are you at the gym for weight lifting? This will help determine the kind of routine to set up for yourself. You don't want to work the same muscle groups on consecutive days, and you want to make sure you schedule rest days for your muscles to recover.
I try to go at least 3 to 4 days a week but there are times were it might be less. I know I need to go a lot more, especially now.

sjsharksfan39
Old August 3 2011, 11:23 AM   #644
overratedboy
Cadet

My dad is about to put his Bowflex back into the garage, so I can use it. Problem is that the DVD and poster is no longer with us and its an old model.
How should I exercise day to day.

Legs and back.
Shoulders and arm
Torso.
Is there a better system?
overratedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 03:05 PM   #645
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I think it's ok, I've been doing a
- chest+trizeps
- legs
- shoulders+abs
- back+bizeps

split the last couple weeks. I think legs should be it's own day, but I guess it depends on how intensely you do it.