IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 17 2011, 11:16 PM   #616
KJbushway
Commodore

Re: Fitness Checkin

Form a triangle with your hands below your chest and do a push-up. Your elbows should go straight back. It's hard, something that takes pratice.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 11:17 PM   #617
RoJoHen
Awesome

Ah. I always called those Diamond Pushups.
Old June 17 2011, 11:29 PM   #618
KJbushway
Commodore

Yeah thats another term for it.
Old June 18 2011, 02:57 PM   #619
Roger Wilco
Admiral

KJbushway wrote: View Post
Where I got this from didn't say anything about resting between days.
I'm pretty confident you will be putting in rest days somewhere there.
Old June 18 2011, 03:30 PM   #620
KJbushway
Commodore

Why? The program never said anything about it. Its a military workout, I don't think waiting between days is part of their program.
Old June 18 2011, 03:43 PM   #621
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I meant you'll be too sore to do it on some days.
Old June 18 2011, 03:45 PM   #622
KJbushway
Commodore

Oh. yeah I can see that.
Old June 18 2011, 04:51 PM   #623
RoJoHen
Awesome

Rest Days don't always have to be planned. They should just be assumed for all workout routines.

Today is Leg Day for me. I had an awesome leg work out last weekend, and I plan for this one to be even better.
Old June 21 2011, 05:07 AM   #624
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Fitness is something that I've never quite hooked up with properly. I'm way too much of a foodie, way too much of a beer lover, and well, way too much of a couch potato.

That said, I am now living The Summer of Fitness!

We had a little financial windfall from a dead relative.
Splurge #1: We bought me a new bike. I know it's not much, but I make a point to ride 2 miles a day around 5 days a week. I also haven't used my car to go to church, the store, work, or anywhere else that's accessible by bike since Memorial Day. People in town think I'm a bit nutty, but they've always thought that.

Splurge #2: My daughter has been taking Karate lessons for the last three years. After a tournament last year, she asked me to take lessons so that we could compete in family events. Riiiight. Well, my wife signed us up for the adult class for the summer. I had my fourth class tonight, and I have to say that the Instructor does a nice job balancing everything between cardio, forms, and "age" of his class. It felt like the first class he was trying to "break me" by ramping up the fitness portion, but by surviving it and coming back, I've clearly earned his respect. I can't throw anyone yet, but I come home with a nice healthy "soreness."

Although my wife and I are both teachers, her summer duties are a bit heavier than mine. In the two weeks since school let out, my daughter and I have spent an hour or more 10 of the 14 days in a swimming pool. It's a delightful bonding time for us, and it gets me off my couch and out of the house.

Sadly, I don't know what to do with all this extra energy!
Old June 22 2011, 07:24 AM   #625
John O.
Rear Admiral

KJbushway wrote: View Post
Why? The program never said anything about it. Its a military workout, I don't think waiting between days is part of their program.
Everybody rests - even the military. In fact, in Marine Corps basic you only actually do PT 3 times a week. Granted the average daily routine is "PT" to the average person just by virtue of wearing/carrying 30 lbs of gear for 18 hours a day at a grueling pace but it's not PT. Rest is when you get growth, when you get recovery. You get nothing out of repetitive breakdown with no recovery.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 05:22 PM   #626
KJbushway
Commodore

Oh I tried to exercise and it kicked my butt. I got done the first go around without granny push-ups. But the second time I had to do granny push-ups the whole time and the third time I didn't get even get past the Push-ups and sit-ups part. The next day I was sore as a mofo, I couldn't straighten my arms, my sides felt heavy, I couldn't do a push-up if I tried. I am going to contuine this exercise program, but its going to be some time before I can reach a full 5 times repeated without assistance.
Old June 23 2011, 07:58 PM   #627
KJbushway
Commodore

Well off to do this again. man I am gonna be sore for the next two days, but hey no pain no gain.
Old June 23 2011, 07:59 PM   #628
Maestro
Vice Admiral

KJ, if it makes you feel any better, we have a brown belt in the adult karate class that I'm taking who cannot do a granny push-up correctly. Our instructor continues to correct her form, yet she's made it all the way to brown belt. And yes, she looks like she could be a granny.
Old June 23 2011, 08:44 PM   #629
KJbushway
Commodore

Its not about pride. I can do regular push-ups just fine, even wide push-ups.
I just need pratice on Diamond push-ups. Its weird, I am not sure if where my arms are going back is where they should be.
Old June 28 2011, 01:59 AM   #630
John O.
Rear Admiral

surprised myself today, did 6 reps of 80lb dumbbells on a decline bench. Also, few weeks ago I hurt my leg trying to leg press 710 up from 685 where I was comfortable, I took 2 weeks off my legs and steadily worked back up to 670 today. I may not try to push too much higher, too hard on the knees. I think I'll just start focusing more on single leg press at lower weights. Starting to really peak on bench, 240 today, but barely, like 2 sloppy reps.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote